Eric Addams

Joker | Oct 4 2019 | BE WARNED | ZERO TOLERANCE

33 minutes ago, AndyK said:

I don't think its going to be a big hit.

The type of people who go to see these films want to see the SH not the villain, plus its dark and seemingly dreadfully miserable by all accounts.

People went to TDK because its Batman, not because its Joker.

What’s the “type of people who go to see these films”, and what type of film do you think Joker is?

"As Hannah Arendt saw banality in the supposed evil of the Nazi Adolf Eichmann, I see in Joker an attempt to elevate nerdy revenge to the plane of myth. That's scary on a lot of different levels."

Another rotten top critic review.

• Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

The past 10 years winner of Venice Golden Lion

2008 -  Wrestler (USA) ,98% RT , AR: 8.4/10, 2 Oscar nom

2009 - Lebanon (Israel), 90% RT, AR: 7.710, 0 Oscar nom

2010 - Somewhere (USA), 70% RT, AR 6.57/10, 0 Oscar nom

2011 - Faust (Russia) .  65% RT, AR 6.57/10, 0 Oscar nom

2012 - Pieta (S. Korean) - 72% RT AR 6.57/10, 0 Oscar nom

2013 - Sacro GRA (Italy) - 76% RT AR 7.26/10, 0 Oscar nom

2014 - A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence(Sweden) - 88% RT, AR 7.8/10 , 0 Oscar nom

2015 - From Afar(Venezula) - 78% RT, AR 6.9310 , 0 Oscar nom

2016 - The Woman Who left (Philippines), 79% RT, AR 7.3/10, 0 Oscar nom

2017 - The shape of water(USA), 92% RT , AR 8.4/10 13 Oscar nom 4 win including best picture

2018 - Roma(Mexico), 96% RT, AR 8.95/10 , 10 Oscar nom, 3 win including best director. 

It is only until recent two years the venice golden lion started to have correlation with Oscar. Perhaps I have overstated the Joker's oscar odd.    

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

While I don’t mind the idea of the film rubbing some people the wrong way, it’s still really unfortunate that the movie was off to such a strong start, only for it to fade after TIFF. It’s just weird seeing the disconnect between European critics and American critics. 

European critics saw the movie as a commentary on the hopelessness of late-stage capitalism that's not unlike certain elements of their societies. American critics  saw the cynicism and disapproved of the myth of a deranged individual that the film propagated without delving into the reasons why the myth existed in the first place.

• Like 1

Just now, titanic2187 said:

The past 10 years winner of Venice Golden Lion

2008 -  Wrestler (USA) ,98% RT , AR: 8.4/10, 2 Oscar nom

2009 - Lebanon (Israel), 90% RT, AR: 7.710, 0 Oscar nom

2010 - Somewhere (USA), 70% RT, AR 6.57/10, 0 Oscar nom

2011 - Faust (Russia) .  65% RT, AR 6.57/10, 0 Oscar nom

2012 - Pieta (S. Korean) - 72% RT AR 6.57/10, 0 Oscar nom

2013 - Sacro GRA (Italy) - 76% RT AR 7.26/10, 0 Oscar nom

2014 - A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence(Sweden) - 88% RT, AR 7.8/10 , 0 Oscar nom

2015 - From Afar(Venezula) - 78% RT, AR 6.9310 , 0 Oscar nom

2016 - The Woman Who left (Philippines), 79% RT, AR 7.3/10, 0 Oscar nom

2017 - The shape of water(USA), 92% RT , AR 8.4/10 13 Oscar nom 4 win including best picture

2018 - Roma(Mexico), 96% RT, AR 8.95/10 , 10 Oscar nom, 3 win including best director. 

It is only until recent two years the venice golden lion started to have correlation with Oscar. Perhaps I have overstated the Joker's oscar odd.    

What wins at Venice is a product of its film selections and the jury panel which is different every year. That makes the result of one year largely independent of another year.

Do the trailers for Joker now begin with "Golden Lion Winner", like similar artsy movies would do?

9 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

It is an international film festival, while the Oscars mostly celebrate Hollywood.

Edited by MrGlass2

can Joker get the biggest OW record for a non-action/adventure movie?   looking at boxofficemojo top openings. I think IT 2017 has the record for a drama (also a horror but fits the criteria) with 123M.

for purely Dramas the record is with Fifty Shades of Grey's 85M OW. which Joker should be able to pass if nothing drastic happens and the tracking isn't that low. 

Edited by RealLyre

It's another American """critics""" judge a movie based on their sociopolitical agendas and not on artistic merit episode. 

• Like 4
  • Not Cool 1

Just now, LaughingEvans said:

It's another American """critics""" judge a movie based on their sociopolitical agendas and not on artistic merit episode. 

Pretty much. Yawn.

That being said, it's getting a lot of love too.

6 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I'm seeing 'trash' used frequently. That's great! 

7 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Appalled reviews should be welcomed. The film is divisive, and that's a good thing. Would that more blockbusters were properly divisive, and I say that as someone who had no faith in this project when it was announced. The last thing we need is another 90% CBM no-one remembers in a month. 

Is this some high level trolling :thinking:

16 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

That goes both ways, though. A lot of movies are praised for the exact same reasons

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Merkel said:

That goes both ways, though. A lot of movies are praised for the exact same reasons

Sure, but it is almost exclusively practiced by one side of the spectrum. 

1 hour ago, LaughingEvans said:

European critics do that too. Reviews by BBC, GQ (UK), and Time Out London all commented on the sociopolitical aspect of the film.

GQ:

Where the two do separate is in the target of Fleck’s vigilantism – unlike Taxi Driver’s racially motivated malaise, Joker’s sights are on the one per cent.

Much of his story, ultimately, is that of a well-meaning “nice guy” being punched downwards by the alpha males of the world. Worryingly so, even, given what his ultimate symbol of violent retort could represent to those of the 8chan ilk: men who see themselves as the persecuted victims of a society built on a genetic lottery for good looks and hyper-masculinity, the message board in question having become a breeding ground of a new generation of men who have gone out with a gun to murder their fellow citizens.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Appalled reviews should be welcomed. The film is divisive, and that's a good thing. Would that more blockbusters were properly divisive, and I say that as someone who had no faith in this project when it was announced. The last thing we need is another 90% CBM no-one remembers in a month. 

I HATE this "HOW DARE ANYBODY NOT LIKE THE THINGS I LIKE" attitude you get from CBM fanboys.

it's nothing new. Remember the death threats some critics go after they gave unfavorable reviews to "Batman Vs Superman"?

I also love that we are supposed to distrust "Top Critics" for major papers and websites but believe without question any idiot who has a Comic Book themes website...….

A lot of "fans" do really stupid things. End of story.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cax16 said:

The more talk around the movie the better it is, I’m sure WB knew exactly what was coming, they’ve tested the movie for probably months before anyone at a festival saw it. They’re probably shocked it won the top prize at Venice, that’s like icing on the cake. Anyone who’s been paying attention on social media knew what was coming when they movie premiered in North America and what would happen on RT. 

ANd note that WB is selling this totally different then they would a normal Comic Book Movie. They are really selling it exactly like they would a Scorsese crime film.

4 hours ago, Lucas said:

"As Hannah Arendt saw banality in the supposed evil of the Nazi Adolf Eichmann, I see in Joker an attempt to elevate nerdy revenge to the plane of myth. That's scary on a lot of different levels."

Another rotten top critic review.

What is amusing is that Hannah Arendt stock has been dropping for over two decades;few historians take her "banality of evil" theory seriously.

And elevating revenge to the plane of myth?? GOt news for this writers lot of the ancient and medival epics did that.

2 hours ago, LaughingEvans said:

Like European critics never do the same thing......