Eric Addams

Joker | Oct 4 2019 | BE WARNED | ZERO TOLERANCE

20 hours ago, Marcos12 said:

I don't know if this has already been posted...

This happens to every movie.

2 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Still got nothing on Legend's use of the Guardian's 2-star review:

Image result for legend guardian poster

The Joker has got enough positive reviews so it won't have to resort to this kind of crap quotemining.

I never really though Joker would have that much of a shot at BP (though itmight well get a nomination) but think the Joaquin Phoenix, though not a shoo in, has an very good chance to Best Actor. Even those who had some problems with the film praised Phoenix's performance.

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I think Warners publicity now considers the whole backlash controversy to be a good thing;it's getting the fllm lot of free coverage, and there are always people who will buy tickets just to see what the fuss is all about.

It's completely ridiculous that some people are acting like Joker missing out on TIFF award is the end of the movie. Everyone who follows TIFF knows it had ZERO chance to show up. Sure, TIFF audience has taste similar to AMPAS so Jojo, Marriage and Parasite are well positioned (that's why this award is watched closely, TIFF voters are like AMPAS voters rehearsal). but AMPAS also nominates movies that don't appear in TIFF awards that are different from what won. So nothing is over yet, though I can't say I'm not ecstatic that Jojo cockblocked Just Mercy at least for a moment. If Jojo emerges as the message movie of the season, perhaps WB won't waste time with Just Mercy and will put all their effort behind Joker (save Foxx in Supporting since Joker doesn't have anyone and deNiro has Irishman).  

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

but AMPAS also nominates movies that don't appear in TIFF awards that are different from what won.

True enough A Stars is Born was just last year and missed people choice top 3 was maybe even more surprising, got 8 nominations and 1 win

Why did Joker had zero chance at TIFF ?

Edited by Barnack

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Why did Joker had zero chance at TIFF ?

Audience preference for feel-good and emotional rather than ultra violent. I think that such move slipped once (Eastern Promises) but that may be because homie Cronenberg. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Audience preference for feel-good and emotional rather than ultra violent. I think that such move slipped once (Eastern Promises) but that may be because homie Cronenberg. 

Prisoners got in as well (could be a bit of an homer vote again too).

Yeah, it looks like a bit of Canadian bias pattern when it comes to some atypical winners/runner-ups. That means Hollywood should hire more Canadian directors. :stirthepot:

Edited by Valonqar

4 hours ago, AnDr3s said:

warner brothers really liked indiewire's review  

Just saw this during sunday night football. That's already more marketing than shazam!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Jonwo said:

The chances of WB giving up on DC is zero, it's a huge moneyspinner for them.

I said dark DC , not DCEU

its crazy that a movie with 76% at rottentomatoes has 19% of its reviews being perfect scores

So if we're keeping track, the actual top critic score is now 52% with a 7.9/10 average rating. 6 out of the 11 top critic reviews with ratings are 10/10.

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 4

DIVISIVE!!!!!  In all seriousness,  it's not really that divisive yet.   Most critics so far think it's either a masterpiece or just solid. 

The negative reviews are very loud and very politically driven.  I'm just as excited to see this as I was when it was at Venice. 

• Like 1

TIFF 2019 Report Card: 322 Critics Rank the Best Films and Performances

BEST NARRATIVE FILM

5. “Joker” (5% of overall votes and 5% of first-place votes)

BEST DIRECTED FILM

2. “Joker,” Todd Phillips (7.23%)

BEST PERFORMANCE - Based on write-in votes.

2. Joaquin Phoenix, “Joker”

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/tiff-2019-critics-survey-toronto-best-films-performances-parasite-adam-driver-1202174083/

Edited by MuffinMan
  • Thanks 4