Eric Addams

Joker | Oct 4 2019 | BE WARNED | ZERO TOLERANCE

Just now, Chewy said:

More origin spinoffs for characters who don't need them, moooooooooooooooooooooore

That I can agree with. But if there's ONE villain character that I actually wouldn't mind having a film, that's Joker. Will it work? Not sure. But I'm more intrigued by this than a Venom film without Spider-Man and without the black suit saga happening. Way more into it. 

• Like 1

I hate just about every origin made for The Joker. He’s supposed to be mysterious, the origin isn’t something I think we’re supposed to know. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I mean they might as well.  this project is already fucked so they should at least have some fun with it.

Add J.K. Simmons reprising Commissioner Gordon in the '80s. No de-aging or anything either

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

That I can agree with. But if there's ONE villain character that I actually wouldn't mind having a film, that's Joker. Will it work? Not sure. But I'm more intrigued by this than a Venom film without Spider-Man and without the black suit saga happening. Way more into it. 

Yeah, in terms of stories without the main hero, this will probably be above Venom and Jabba but below literally everything else. Joker really does not need an origin story though, go with some other Batman villain if you have to, maybe Azrael or something.

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Add J.K. Simmons reprising Commissioner Gordon in the '80s. No de-aging or anything either

Cast the guy who played young JK Simmons in Terminator Genitals who looked nothing like JK Simmons

This is going to be the beginning of a DC Elseworlds on film brand which could be interesting if done right but also go horribly horribly wrong. We'll see where this goes.

• Like 1

Ugh. 

This will be the first film under a new banner that has yet to be named in which WB can expand the canon of DC properties and create unique storylines with different actors playing the iconic characters.

I’m told that the intention is to make an origin story that isn’t part of any other iteration. The Joker has memorably been part of two Batman movies in the form of Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger, and was most recently played by Jared Leto in the first Suicide Squad film. He will reprise in the Suicide Squad sequel and the Harley Quinn spinoff, but this new film will launch the character with a different actor, possibly younger.

An intriguing part is the setting. The intention is to make a gritty and grounded hard-boiled crime film set in early-’80s Gotham City that isn’t meant to feel like a DC movie as much as one of Scorsese’s films from that era, like Taxi Driver, Raging Bull or The King Of Comedy. I’m told that Phillips and Silver are writing already, but there is nothing firm on where this will fit into the DC schedule.

Forget it, @grim22. I got all excited and then. Ugh. I read the article. Burn this thing with fire. :gold:

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Cast the guy who played young JK Simmons in Terminator Genitals who looked nothing like JK Simmons

That existed? :thinking: I don't remember JK Simmons having a young counterpart in that movie.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Yeah, in terms of stories without the main hero, this will probably be above Venom and Jabba but below literally everything else. Joker really does not need an origin story though, go with some other Batman villain if you have to, maybe Azrael or something.

Yeah I was all kinds of excited thinking that this looked as some kind of plan for the DCEU but this is looking like WB going Sony with Venom. How is that a good idea? Fuck this thing. 

Just now, iJackSparrow said:

Ugh. 

Forget it, @grim22. I got all excited and then. Ugh. I read the article. Burn this thing with fire. :gold:

It's literally Elseworlds which DC's done for ages in the comics. If it'll work on film who knows and they'd need to work rly hard to not confuse people but we'll see.

but this new film will launch the character with a different actor, possibly younger

oh boy

Edited by XO21

The idea of alternative universe DC is cool, but the words Joker and Origin should never go together. 

Just now, iJackSparrow said:

Yeah I was all kinds of excited thinking that this looked as some kind of plan for the DCEU but this is looking like WB going Sony with Venom. How is that a good idea? Fuck this thing. 

Just now, Mulder said:

It's literally Elseworlds which DC's done for ages in the comics. If it'll work on film who knows and they'd need to work rly hard to not confuse people but we'll see.

Yup, sounds like Elseworlds. This can work, but will need to be done pretty much on the cheap, which is why they are probably going for Joker first because it can be done on a much lower budget.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

This is going to be the beginning of a DC Elseworlds on film brand which could be interesting if done right but also go horribly horribly wrong. We'll see where this goes.

DC Elseworlds. Eh. Yeah. Sure. Like we don't have a DC universe building to worry right now. It just feels like a film no one is asking for. If the budget is low as fuck, yay but... WHY? :gold:

Just now, AJG said:

The idea of alternative universe DC is cool, but the words Joker and Origin should never go together. 

Agreed. The idea by itself is not wrong, just that The Joker is the wrong character for this.

Just now, grim22 said:

That existed? :thinking: I don't remember JK Simmons having a young counterpart in that movie.

Yea he was in the mall with Jai Courtney before they time traveled the second time. Had no idea it was supposed to be him til he had one line about it

Just now, grim22 said:

Yup, sounds like Elseworlds. This can work, but will need to be done pretty much on the cheap, which is why they are probably going for Joker first because it can be done on a much lower budget.

Yeah basically this