Eric Dolittle

Joker | Oct 4 2019 | BE WARNED | ZERO TOLERANCE

Regardless of what this movie’s OW is, I personally won’t be able to shake off the belief that the 4:00 Thursday “preview screenings” will mean that the movie basically has a four day opening. 

Curious to see what kind of Cinemascore and WOM this will get. It doesn't matter that the trailers (and the Golden Lion) make clear that it is a very different "superhero" movie, I can't help thinking that a large percentage of the audience will go in expecting a TDK spiritual sequel, or at least some "fun" action scenes.

And of course many will wonder: "Where's Batman??". :thinking:

9 hours ago, Essem said:

Joker isnt getting reviewed based on the quality of the film, which every other CBM is. Joker is getting reviewed by the message of the film. Thats where the difference lies.

A film should be judged by its message. It's a pretty important feature of any artistic endeavor.

Take it as a compliment that critics are apparently meeting the movie on these terms - it's more than most CBMs get or deserve. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Regardless of what this movie’s OW is, I personally won’t be able to shake off the belief that the 4:00 Thursday “preview screenings” will mean that the movie basically has a four day opening. 

It's a shitty practice but it's been going on long before this movie. 

presales YUGE

Got my tickets for next Thursday! I think I’ll be able to go before my surgery but worse case I’ll just cancel the tickets and go after opening weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still think this is going to be a divisive film among the Comic Book Movie fans. it is going to be drastically different then any other Comic Book Based movie ever made. We will see plenty of "But it did not feel like a CBM! No big action scenes! No character we can really cheer for" comments.

BTW I have to give "King of Comedy" another  view before seeing this.

In my country, this is opening on a Wednesday, which local theaters only do for releases that are bound to be huge.Endgame was the last movie that got that treatment.

Unlike Endgame though, which played since early Wednesday with theaters opening very early in the morning for the first time ever,Joker will start playing from Wednesday at 10 am.

Edited by TheDarkKnightOfSteel
  • Thanks 1

Just copy and pasting this from reddit, it’s some reactions from the Paris Premiere today. I haven’t looked around twitter for any more reactions, I’m sure there’s more around that aren’t as positive. 

Some early reactions translated (Spoiler Free)

Mathilde Fontaine:

I just saw Joker, and at the risk of surprising you: it's simply masterful.

Eric Maillard:

I do not know if we can be ready for a movie like Joker. It's brilliant, powerful and fragile at the same time, Joaquin Phoenix is really shattering, very human in horror, the rest of the cast is perfect, the BO does a crazy job. Magisterial, the slap.

RATTO KINGU:

Honestly, awesome, finally a real movie that does not take you for a con and surprises you and fuck, the acting, actor Joaquin Phoenix [is] incredible. I say no more but great movie I invite you to see it.

Grindcave Cinema:

Jokerlefilm is no joke. Wow.

Eric Sivan:

A fusional actor with his character. A staged mastery worthy of the greatest for a mirror film of our society. I leave KO and dazzled.

Edit: More reactions

François Taing:

The sublime soundtrack and the huge Joaquin Phoenix make #JokerLeFilm a masterpiece. One of the best movies of 2019. Amazing.

Fred Van Long:

Joker it was a thing of phew 😱Belle big slap! Joaquin Phoenix Oscar for Best Actor

Salvat Jean-Baptiste:

Wouaou Jokerlefilm lives up to the praise we hear! Great movie, and what acting game !!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Just copy and pasting this from reddit, it’s some reactions from the Paris Premiere today. I haven’t looked around twitter for any more reactions, I’m sure there’s more around that aren’t as positive. 

Some early reactions translated (Spoiler Free)

Mathilde Fontaine:

I just saw Joker, and at the risk of surprising you: it's simply masterful.

Eric Maillard:

I do not know if we can be ready for a movie like Joker. It's brilliant, powerful and fragile at the same time, Joaquin Phoenix is really shattering, very human in horror, the rest of the cast is perfect, the BO does a crazy job. Magisterial, the slap.

RATTO KINGU:

Honestly, awesome, finally a real movie that does not take you for a con and surprises you and fuck, the acting, actor Joaquin Phoenix [is] incredible. I say no more but great movie I invite you to see it.

Grindcave Cinema:

Jokerlefilm is no joke. Wow.

Eric Sivan:

A fusional actor with his character. A staged mastery worthy of the greatest for a mirror film of our society. I leave KO and dazzled.

Edit: More reactions

François Taing:

The sublime soundtrack and the huge Joaquin Phoenix make #JokerLeFilm a masterpiece. One of the best movies of 2019. Amazing.

Fred Van Long:

Joker it was a thing of phew 😱Belle big slap! Joaquin Phoenix Oscar for Best Actor

Salvat Jean-Baptiste:

Wouaou Jokerlefilm lives up to the praise we hear! Great movie, and what acting game !!

These are RT critics?   Foreign press?   Little of both? 

THE MOST POPULAR CHARACTER OF THE MILLENNIUM RETURNS IN THE FILM WE ALWAYS WANTED AND NEVER RECEIVED.

$200m opening weekend incoming

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Not Cool 1

13 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

These are RT critics?   Foreign press?   Little of both? 

I honestly don’t know, it could just be normal people but I assumed they linked reactions from actual critics. 

This is the thread where it’s from,

• Like 1

So great reaction from Europe again.

North America will be interesting. On the one hand, we have the hardcore fans who will love it. On the other hand, woke society will be against this movie.

Both groups are irrelevant due to their small size. The question is how will casual fans will respond. Most people who have reacted to the trailer have not been put-off by the dark and gritty aspects of the movie. This suggests to me that the reaction will be good from mainstream movie goers perspective. I think a lot of people understand who Joker is and want to see him mess up stuff for 2 hours. But will it ever be too much? From what has leaked, probably not. It seems like it balances between violent and fun well enough.

I suspect an A- to A score is probable.