Eric Plus

Joker | Oct 4 2019 | BE WARNED | ZERO TOLERANCE

the last two performances to win the best actor award at the oscars were actively bad. if a decent performance wins this year it'll be a marked improvement. 

• Like 3

The Best Actor category has been a mess this whole decade tbh. Only ones I would say truly deserved theirs were Affleck and DDL. Maybe Leo too given who he was up against.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the last two performances to win the best actor award at the oscars were actively bad. if a decent performance wins this year it'll be a marked improvement. 

In any case Joaquin pretty much does carry the movie on his shoulders. No one else in the movie goes beyond a caricature really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

Doesn't change that the acting itself is not on the same level

Most opinions I saw agree with that statement, but exactly in the opposite way. 

Posted (edited)

Wow. I actually quite enjoyed this one. I went in with middling expectations due to some recent mixed reviews. First and foremost, Phoenix is absolutely riveting. As a character study of a man slowly giving into his psychotic tendencies, it's up there with some of the best. Not as sinister as something like "Sleep Tight", but it has a slightly more nuanced central performance. Technically well made as well. I had some issues with a few editing choices, but it's otherwise a very well made film. I can definitely see Phoenix and technical noms for this despite the recent mixed response from critics. It'd be hard to ignore this. Then again Sisters Brothers, one of my favs from last year, was mostly ignored, too.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

this film’s critical reception confuses me 

It's also got an 85/100 Critics' Choice score.

just got back from seeing the movie. i dunno if anyone else felt this way, but this joker guy was a little weird i thought. needed to chillax a bit imo. 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

To my fair surprise, I liked it. Yeah, it has some issues but Joaquin and the world it creates are pretty effective. 

• Like 1

Was pretty bored until the last 30 min tbh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, filmlover said:

The Best Actor category has been a mess this whole decade tbh. Only ones I would say truly deserved theirs were Affleck and DDL. Maybe Leo too given who he was up against.

Leo was deserving for, as you say, he was up against weak line up and no one could say he robbed X or Y. It sucks that he didn't win for WOWS but he was deserving winner in the year he won. There's nothing wrong with his performance. It's just that WOWS gives him more to do but otherwise it's actually refreshing that he won for a badass action role rather than a drama.

Edited by Valonqar

Just came back from the theater. WOW that was something. Need to see it again to decide how much I liked it.

Joaquin Phoenix was absolutely incredible. That music score was astonishing I was in the edge of my seat just from the music. It was like watching a Game of Thrones episode (regarding the music).

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

This is how Joker gets reworked into Matt Reeves' Batman universe lmao

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

This is how Joker gets reworked into Matt Reeves' Batman universe lmao

And how is supposed for this Joker to fight Pattinson’s Batman?Hit him with his cane?

Posted (edited)

This Joker doesn't belong to a pg-13 Batman flick.

If they even get Phoenix back as the Joker, how the hell can they put him against Batman in a R rated movie? Unless of course, WB tries a different approach and makes Batman R rated. I honestly can't see that happening.

Edited by Blaze Heatnix