Eric Plus

Joker | Oct 4 2019 | BE WARNED | ZERO TOLERANCE

Didn’t Joaquin Phoenix turn down Doctor Strange specifically because he didn’t want to do multiple films?

Posted (edited)

(Relevant to the joker) What does the word CRAZY mean to you? and would you ever call someone crazy?

Edited by Melosh

This movie was nearly identical to the shooting script that leaked months ago. Crazy to believe that actually still happens in 2019. 

11 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

Is there a spoiler thread? I wanna talk about certain aspects of this film.

The review thread:

• Thanks 1

In live action an actor is spontaneously feeling the story elements and in a sense is performing the story;were as in animation the animator is forced to think deep about the story elements trying to live in the skin of the character as he in a sense lives IN the story.                                   Two different approaches to convey a story to an audience.(just a random thought).

My real point is character animators don’t get nearly enough credit as much as live action actors.

Posted (edited)

Which in away is a credit to the medium, as the story presented feels real and you forget to think about performers.

Edited by Melosh

Posted (edited)

I personally can never TRULY be moved by a great live action performance as I know what’s presented to me is a person ACTING vs an animated character that was drawn by an animator that thought deep as to what his art can feel, not what HE can feel and then ACT.                               I still obviously have deep respect for actors of course,just saying my opinion.

Edited by Melosh

Ever wondered why you hear people always cry by Pixar films vs even so called adult dramas.

1 hour ago, Melosh said:

I personally can never TRULY be moved by a great live action performance as I know what’s presented to me is a person ACTING vs an animated character that was drawn by an animator that thought deep as to what his art can feel, not what HE can feel and then ACT.                               I still obviously have deep respect for actors of course,just saying my opinion.

Can’t agree with this personally, but just my opinion as well. A great actor can truly become their character. There are some movies where I can easily forget I’m watching an actor. Animation can absolutely be fantastic and certainly can provide many emotions (and some stories just work better animated, ie. The Lion King), but at the same time, it works generally the same as acting. Both artists have to project a telegraphed emotion. While an actor projects with his or her own face, an animator just does it through a drawn (or computer animated) face. Both animators and actors must think about what their art can feel, but they are still both restricted to what they have the talent to visually depict. They both require an immense amount of skill to accurately portray without dialogue. I’d almost say I respect actors more in this specific regard (key phrase, this specific), because while an animator can spend time perfecting the visual appearance, an actor must accurately portray an emotion themselves. They really need to get into the character. Just as an example, a team of animators can say something like “Oh, make their eyes look bigger” and keep editing to get the perfect image, while an actor really needs to embody it on their own. If that one actor can’t pull it off, it won’t work. A director can only go so far with the wrong actor.

Again, not to knock animation at all. It’s a beautiful art form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Melosh said:

Ever wondered why you hear people always cry by Pixar films vs even so called adult dramas.

Yeh I don’t watch animated films for this very reason, I always feel very detached because it’s “just a cartoon”. 

I’m all about real performances, not just voice work. 

No disrespect though. 

8 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

And how is supposed for this Joker to fight Pattinson’s Batman?Hit him with his cane?

It was a joke, but Joker is clearly not supposed to be as old as Joaquin is. Rather 30 something, and has aged poorly due to stress etc. With Batman you can easily claim he's 10 during this movie, and starts being Batman at 25 (Pattinson doesn't look that old). 25 year old Batman, 48 year old Joker. Not the  most insane thing.

But I don't want this movie to be connected to anything.

Perhaps there is a backlash to the backlash starting, I have noticed a few pieces in the media debating whether Joker is brilliant or awful/dangerous.

Also in the Guardian, 'Most Popular' in the Film section are:

1. Joker review – an ace turn from Joaquin Phoenix

2. Joker review – the most disappointing film of the year

The coverage of this movie has been something... not even counting the related US army warnings. 

2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Perhaps there is a backlash to the backlash starting, I have noticed a few pieces in the media debating whether Joker is brilliant or awful/dangerous.

Also in the Guardian, 'Most Popular' in the Film section are:

1. Joker review – an ace turn from Joaquin Phoenix

2. Joker review – the most disappointing film of the year

The coverage of this movie has been something... not even counting the related US army warnings. 

Kermode was also mentioning a potential backlash to the backlash in his review.

Clearly, this is the kind of divisive reaction that has only further fueled the hype and done nothing but help the launch of the movie. Let's see how it settles with audiences and does from here...

Not a big fan of this movie. Can't deny its got some great work being done, but I just couldn't connect or engage with most of it. 

Posted (edited)

Well, I wrote a blurb in the review thread, but I'll comment here; it goes without saying that this film is definitely worth seeing in theaters. There is a tangible cinematic appeal to it. Joaquin Phoenix gives the character a lot of interesing attributes.

Edited by SLAM!

I thought this was fine but flawed. Phoenix great. Controversy was completely overblown. Kinda wish Todd Phillips would abandon his quest to be the next Scorsese (his previous movie, War Dogs, had a Goodfellas vibe while this was clearly fashioned after Taxi Driver) since only Scorsese can completely pull off a movie like this (something I think is beyond the guy who gave us Road Trip and Old School 15-20 years ago) but with the money this is making he's likely gonna continue along this path.

• Like 2