Eric Plus

Joker | Oct 4 2019 | BE WARNED | ZERO TOLERANCE

6 minutes ago, Lucas said:

You'd have to do some pretty insane mental gymnastics to find Hereditary of all movies transphobic.

King Paimon threw the first brick at Stonewall.

This movie is still in my head. Seeing it again tomorrow because I need to witness Phoenix's performance again. What a masterful film!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

tepid response at academy screening, several walkouts. If it gets in best picture it will probably be cause of the new wave of voters

https://deadline.com/2019/10/joker-oscar-voters-best-picture-contender-1202754714/

I have made my peace with Joker not earning a BP nomination but the fact that this film is being judged for what it MAY inspire and whatever political agenda anyone tries to push and not because of its cinematic merits is ridiculous at this point.

You actually know the problem runs deep when a member of the biggest film awards ceremony with a right to vote  Is described as “she wasn’t so generous because she is afraid the film will inspire real life violence” (among the lines).

So ok the film might not get a BP nomination but if the same shit get in the way for Phoenix to win, or even be nominated, then so help me...

Edited by TheDarkKnightOfSteel
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I have made my peace with Joker not earning a BP nomination but the fact that this film is being judged for what it MAY inspire and whatever political agenda anyone tries to push and not because of its cinematic merits is ridiculous at this point.

You actually know the problem runs deep when a member of the biggest film awards ceremony with a right to vote  Is described as “she wasn’t so generous because she is afraid the film will inspire real life violence” (among the lines).

So ok the film might not get a BP nomination but if the same shit get in the way for Phoenix to win, or even be nominated, then so help me...

It really is ridiculous. Everything is political nowadays, which is why I can hardly take anyone seriously anymore. Any authority on anything I just believe will have some sort of agenda instead of doing their damn jobs.

I would just like to see a nom for JP and I thought the score was really good as well but I don’t care about oscars much, I watch them but I’m just happy the movie is successful. 

Posted (edited)

more mixed reactions

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/oscar-voters-react-joker-avoiding-it-1245781?

Academy members tell The Hollywood Reporter their mixed thoughts about the weekend's controversial blockbuster: "I don't know if it should be banned or it should be given every award."

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

I haven’t seen it. Based upon my feelings about ultra violence, I really don’t want to. I was disgusted by earlier iterations of the series, watching heads being crushed on spikes!

wait what movie is this dude talking about?

6 hours ago, Nero said:

Lmao it's not dark at all. If you have watched John Wick or any slasher horror movie it would be dark. 

Apples and oranges.  Those are "comic book" type of violence/dark.

This was more real world dark

32 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

wait what movie is this dude talking about?

Batman and Robin

Honestly I think this is gonna end up not even sniffing a Best Picture nomination. We'll see what the awards landscape looks like in two months. Phoenix should definitely happen though, and the score deserves to be recognized.

• Not Cool 1

There was at least as much if not more violence in Mad Max, the Revenant, Dunkirk, Hacksaw Ridge, Hell or Highwater, Get Out, and American Sniper in the last 5 years and those were all nominated so what really are we talking about here?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

There was at least as much if not more violence in Mad Max, the Revenant, Dunkirk, Hacksaw Ridge, Hell or Highwater, Get Out, and American Sniper in the last 5 years and those were all nominated so what really are we talking about here?

Not really. 

Male member of producers branch: "I saw it in Venice. The trailer had just dropped and there was nothing written about the film yet. I found the craft to be stunning on every level — beautiful photography, design, costumes. All of Todd Phillips' films are impeccably made. But I deeply despise the movie. It made me feel really uncomfortable. I love [Darren] Aronofsky, [Lars] von Trier, [Michael] Haneke and most movies that really push the boundaries of darkness. But there was a nihilism and narcissism to this movie that left a bunch of us feeling really disturbed, and we had to drink away our discomfort.

Joker was very depressing but I'm not sure I would call it more disturbing than Mother! or Requiem for a Dream. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This movie won't be for everyone but it's unquestionably a four quadrant crowd-pleaser in comparison to something like mother! (then again, most movies are in general). :lol:

Edited by filmlover
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Not really. 

How not really 4 people die in the opening scene of Dunkirk

Spoiler

9 people total die in Joker and one is off screen 

Good movie. Great performance by Phoenix.

• Like 1