Eric Dolittle

Joker | Oct 4 2019 | BE WARNED | ZERO TOLERANCE

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Looks like this is in for an insane hold over its 2nd weekend! I don't know if it's the best comparison but if it follows the pattern of Gravity's 2nd weekend (released on exactly the same date, October 4, in 2013) then it could reach $57M+! Outstanding!

Oh yeah, and the clickbait, outrage-obsessed media can suck a fat one. Shut up already.

I think at this point, anything coming from the media is just noise, nobody cares anymore. Anything will have been thwarted by insanely good word of mouth. If any impact it would just be people being confused with the constant negative view on such a good movie recommended by everyone. All the people on the fence will drive late demand haha.

Before you know it, WB gonna do 10 DC movies a year. All their surprise hits have been DC, WW, AQM then now this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hasanahmad said:

Time just in time for the weekend 

Aside from Joker and to a lesser degree the late night show host De Niro plays, every other character is relegated to the background, serving as objects in and out of Arthur Fleck's delusion and harsh reality.  But it is justifiably so to show the emptiness and grievances of Joker.

26 minutes ago, Neucentro said:

Aside from Joker and to a lesser degree the late night show host De Niro plays, every other character is relegated to the background, serving as objects in and out of Arthur Fleck's delusion and harsh reality.  But it is justifiably so to show the emptiness and grievances of Joker.

It's as if people, especially critics, ignore the movies themselves and just treat them all like checklists, making sure the movie has this, this and that and keeping an eye on those things only. They ignore the films as a whole.

As Robert De Niro once said, "Fuck 'em".

• Like 1

A little late on this, but here's another bit of trivia in the wake of Joker's $96.2M opening:

Of each month's highest grossing weekends, January now has the smallest: $89,269,066, belonging to American Sniper, which released wide on January 16, 2015.

I wonder when we'll get our first $100M+ weekend in January. I think it'll still be awhile It's not that a movie couldn't open that big in January - we've all discussed how it's more about the movie rather than the time of year - it's that studios just aren't placing big titles there. You wonder if, like AS, the first will be another movie that opens in platform release in December or something and then goes wide in January. Perhaps the next big Alejandro Inarritu project could do it? 

BEST PICTURE - FRONTRUNNERS

Joker (Warner Bros.)

BEST DIRECTOR - MAJOR THREATS

Todd Phillips (Joker)

BEST ACTOR - FRONTRUNNERS

Joaquin Phoenix (Joker)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY - FRONTRUNNERS

Joker (Todd Phillips & Scott Silver)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY - FRONTRUNNERS

Joker (Lawrence Sher)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/feinberg-forecast-2020-oscar-predictions-1244706/item/best-picture-1244695

If true, it could have 8 noms with Original Score, Sound Mixing and Sound Editing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Philips as director has a zero chance. The movie itself is a veeeeery long shot, though if it continues to put up huge numbers and no tragedy comes about, I expect the narrative around it will improve, with more think pieces in its favor, at right around the time Oscar nominations open. But Philips burned his bridges in the press, as he came across too defensive and unprepared for discussion.

Just like with Green Book, I'm seriously confused why this movie keeps getting this kind of coverage. The movie isn't controversial or even thoughtful enough to really spark any sort of legitimate conversation regarding the politics. It seems like people are stretching to make some sort of talking point because its already a controversial movie and gets easy views. They just seem intent on getting a very small number of people (who, let's be honest were never gonna see the movie in the first place) to not watch the movie.

A better point than the black women don't get enough attention point is the point that literally none of the supporting cast gets much attention. That article itself makes no sense. Thomas Wayne and Alfred are just as undeveloped as any of the black characters in the movie but they have more character development because they are already established DC characters? And I find it odd that she took the "they don't give a shit about you. They don't give a shit about me" line as saying that the movie is equating migyonysts to black people when they really aren't.

There is a shitton to be criticised regarding the movie and there is a great way to link the way the movie shows black women to how the supporting characters as a whole aren't well written but the writer of the article doesn't do a good job at that. That criticism about the movie making fun of people with dwarfism makes more sense than this because many of those criticisms actually explain how it goes against the mental illness exploration of the movie.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, belblazer said:

Joker (Warner Bros.)

Todd Phillips (Joker)

Joaquin Phoenix (Joker)

Joker (Lawrence Sher)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/feinberg-forecast-2020-oscar-predictions-1244706/item/best-picture-1244695

If true, it could have 8 noms with Original Score, Sound Mixing and Sound Editing. 

No mention of Hildur for score? Disgusting...

• Like 6

Is it really much of a surprise that this movie is doing well? It's a movie about Joker

• Like 1

6 hours ago, belblazer said:

Joker (Warner Bros.)

Todd Phillips (Joker)

Joaquin Phoenix (Joker)

Joker (Lawrence Sher)

Thanks. Very good article;  I haven’t seen anything similar in the last few years. 

6 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Todd Phillips getting two nominations would piss off film twitter , so it must happen

Isn't Phillips is a producer on the film? He could max out at three nominations, then.

2 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Philips as director has a zero chance. The movie itself is a veeeeery long shot, though if it continues to put up huge numbers and no tragedy comes about, I expect the narrative around it will improve, with more think pieces in its favor, at right around the time Oscar nominations open. But Philips burned his bridges in the press, as he came across too defensive and unprepared for discussion.

The Directors Branch of the Academy is not the media. I agree his odds are iffy in the category: Phillips mostly has a comedy background and the movie is still about a Batman villain, so biases on those fronts, plus the other directors who will see Joker as derivative of better directors/films. The ridiculous outcry before the movie was even out, OTOH, I think other directors would find that chilling from an artistic perspective and feel solidarity toward him on that front.

His comments so far, I don't know if the Directors Branch will care that he dissed woke culture particularly (though in recent years, the un-PC Ridley Scott and Eastwood missed in Directing with The Martian and American Sniper, huge hits that got Best Picture and Actor). Some other directors probably agree about social media mob mentality/judgment ruining films but are wise enough not to say it like he did. I don't know how Phillips is going to be over months of award season interviews. Tarantino gets flack for his approach as well, but his critics don't come away thinking he's dumb at least.

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

No mention of Hildur for score? Disgusting...

not bothering to read the article and seeing that Best Score wasn't one of the categories covered? disgusting...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Isn't Phillips is a producer on the film? He could max out at three nominations, then.

The Directors Branch of the Academy is not the media. I agree his odds are iffy in the category: Phillips mostly has a comedy background and the movie is still about a Batman villain, so biases on those fronts, plus the other directors who will see Joker as derivative of better directors/films. The ridiculous outcry before the movie was even out, OTOH, I think other directors would find that chilling from an artistic perspective and feel solidarity toward him on that front.

His comments so far, I don't know if the Directors Branch will care that he dissed woke culture particularly (though in recent years, the un-PC Ridley Scott and Eastwood missed in Directing with The Martian and American Sniper, huge hits that got Best Picture and Actor). Some other directors probably agree about social media mob mentality/judgment ruining films but are wise enough not to say it like he did. I don't know how Phillips is going to be over months of award season interviews. Tarantino gets flack for his approach as well, but his critics don't come away thinking he's dumb at least.

Yeah, I don't necessarily think his comments necessarily sat badly with other members per se - though I'm sure there are people in the Academy that would scoff at his recognition - but I just don't think they would want to nominate someone that made those comments and would then generate further hit pieces about the awards themselves, due to his nomination.

Who knows? With such a non-troversy, it could go either way, especially if the overall narrative surrounding the movie having a negative social impact changes.

Todd Phillips getting a director nod for JOKER over someone like Bong would be disappointing. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JB33 said:

Looks like this is in for an insane hold over its 2nd weekend! I don't know if it's the best comparison but if it follows the pattern of Gravity's 2nd weekend (released on exactly the same date, October 4, in 2013) then it could reach $57M+! Outstanding!

Oh yeah, and the clickbait, outrage-obsessed media can suck a fat one. Shut up already.

A lot of people I follow on social media that barely go to the movies have been posting pics and vids on their stories of going to see this movie or already seeing it in the movie theater. This movie definitely blew up and grabbed general audiences.

• Like 2

‘Joker’ Tops Friday Box Office And Passes $400 Million Worldwide

Joker will have likely a smaller second weekend drop than even Wonder Woman and Black Panther.

Riddle me this, Batman… When is a 57% Friday-to-Friday drop considered a bloody triumph? When its Todd Phillips and Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker and that drop is a better hold than the second-Friday falls for Venom, Logan and Deadpool 2. That drop is better than Deadpool (-65%), Logan (-68%) and Venom (-69%). The $60 million R-rated Warner Bros. release is indeed this season’s current floor wax and its dessert topping. It is, with a $17 million second-Friday gross and current $154.729 million eight-day total, lording over the competition. We’re probably looking at a $60.3 million second-weekend gross, the second-biggest non-opening ever for an R-rated movie, which would be a drop of just 37% for a ten-day total of $198 million domestic.

Worldwide is a projected guestimate, but if it has maintained the 38.7% domestic/61.3% overseas split from Sunday, if not better due to opening in France, Germany and Israel over the last few days, it has around $400 million worldwide either by this morning or by the end of this sentence. It could end Sunday night over $500 million worldwide. That’ll push it past the current running cume of It Chapter Two (which will probably wrap up with $460 million on a $70 million budget) to become Warner Bros.’ biggest grosser of the year. Whatever ups (Shazam!) and downs (Godzilla: King of the Monsters) the Dream Factory has had this year; they have done very well with R-rated scary dramas featuring killer clowns.

If that seems overly optimistic, we’re dealing with a $60 million flick that will have over/under $510 million worldwide by tomorrow night. It could drop dead on Monday morning and it would still be a huge win. As is, the projected 37% drop will be much better than the 55-57% second-weekend drops of Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Justice League and (from a much smaller opening) Shazam!. It’s even smaller than the over/under 43% drops of Wonder Woman and Black Panther. It’s got Maleficent 2 and Zombieland: Double Tap next weekend and then a last-weekend-of-October slate of pure small-scale studio programmers. It won’t be until November when the R-rated Terminator sequel provides hard competition.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/10/12/joker-box-office-400m-joaquin-phoenix-todd-phillips-logan-deadpool-venom-wonder-woman-black-panther-shazam-dc-films-warner-bros-brad-pitt-renee-zellweger-constance-wu-jennifer-lopez-hustlers-abominable-abbey/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Like 1