Eric Dolittle

Joker | Oct 4 2019 | BE WARNED | ZERO TOLERANCE

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Some people don't understand this film. They don't understand the message, they don't understand the context, they don't understand why some people consider this a masterpiece.

People fear what they do not understand. And they translate that fear into outrage.

Don't be that guy. It is absolutely fine to think this isn't a deep movie.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

It's also absolutely fine to think otherwise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Movie nerd said:

It's also absolutely fine to think otherwise. 

Related image

I. LIKED. THE. MOVIE.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Some people don't understand this film. They don't understand the message, they don't understand the context, they don't understand why some people consider this a masterpiece.

People fear what they do not understand. And they translate that fear into outrage.

I’ll admit, I do fear Todd Phillips making more movies

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, MuffinMan said:

Very, very fascinating article. Refreshing, after so many members of the media created a narrative that the filmmakers were glorifying and making excuses for white male incels, or made it about white, male entitlement. Maybe, just maybe, it isn't that fucking simple.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Very, very fascinating article. Refreshing, after so many members of the media created a narrative that the filmmakers were glorifying and making excuses for white male incels, or made it about white, male entitlement. Maybe, just maybe, it isn't that fucking simple.

yeah, and many people actually are getting "positive" messages from the film, reactions from social media: "be kind to people coz you don't know what they're going through..." 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I've got no problem with someone thinking this film is shallow.

The fear/outrage I was referring is the "danger to society" crowd.

• Like 1

right now Japanese BO stands at 17.8M...Joker is destined to be the highest grossing DC movie there...currently that title belongs to Constantine (24.5M)

Edited by teard1972
  • Astonished 1

I love how the rest of the world is just totally embracing this. Trump really has fucked up North Americans. They can't get out of their own heads.

8 minutes ago, teard1972 said:

right now Japanese BO stands at 17.8M...Joker is destined to be the highest grossing DC movie there...currently that title belongs to Constantine (24.5M)

Japan is a rather interesting and unpredictable market when it comes to Hollywood movies. 

7 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

The fear/outrage I was referring is the "danger to society" crowd.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Didn't think much of the movie. But, all the danger, etc. stuff was completely ridiculous. Honestly, worked in favor of the film most likely... I mean, for sales and generating discussion.

One of the issues for me was for what it is the film doesn't feel nearly deviant or dangerous enough. As in, given the tone, I'd have preferred it take it further. Even much further in some instances. Felt like it pulled some big, ugly punches it could've landed to really challenge folks. Again, that's just me.

So yeah that whole outrage is silly. Especially after seeing it. It's pretty tame. Obviously a mass consumption flick or certain punches wouldn't have been pulled. Could argue the ideas in Dark Knight's Joker are far more "dangerous" so to speak. Certainly more sadistic and cynical.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I haven't understood one thing about this controversy. Not one thing. 

They lost me when they started linking Joker to incels and gamers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fielding said:

They lost me when they started linking Joker to incels and gamers.

tbf the internet did that, but still they took a bunch of memes and decided the movie was a threat to society, the media just went waaay overboard.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Its a strange realistic version of the Jokers origin. Jack , Heath and of course Mark Hamil remain the top actors to bring the most inspiring life to the Joker character.  Still Joaquin's take is definitely the third best live action joker performance of all-time. He puts Jared Leto's sacked joker to shame. And just wow on his physical performance and that joker laugh, its going to be talked about for sometime indeed.

This portrayal was deep and thought provoking and another refreshing breath of life to comic films period...Bravo Mr Phillips and  Joaquin Phoenix!!  Bravo!! 👏

And in the words of the Joker. When you go to see this...." Put on a happy face!"

😎😉

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Editing post

10 hours ago, MuffinMan said:

I guess everyone want to build a better society after watching film, regardless gender or race, no more discrimination to any kind of group or at least be more inclusive.

Except a bunch of critics that like to gunshot everyone that buy ticket and see this film

• Like 3

It happened, folks. This movie has finally inspired the tragedy the media warned us about.

Pack it up, pull it out of theaters, it's over.

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1

7 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

It happened, folks. This movie has finally inspired the tragedy the media warned us about.

Pack it up, pull it out of theaters, it's over.

I wonder how this will effect box office.