Eric Plus

Joker | Oct 4 2019 | BE WARNED | ZERO TOLERANCE

I'm impressed this has been trending now for... 8 hours?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

I'm impressed this has been trending now for... 8 hours?

And Heath Ledger still up there. :bourne:

Don't know it'll all turn out but that's a damn good trailer and I'm always there for Phoenix.

9 hours ago, EliasChristensen said:

Is it for sure that it is not losely connected to the other DCEU movies? Like "Shazam" for example?

I don't get how they will handle a cameo by Joker in "Birds of Prey" and a whole "Joker" movie with different actors and no connections between them? When I shared the "Joker" poster with friends yesterday the first question was if Jared Leto was replaced with Joaquin Phoenix and when I responded that this will be a whole new incarnation of the character they were like :WHATanabe:

I mean, they also say that the new "Suicide Squad" is a complete reboot but have four characters returning with three of them being portrayed by the same actors. :sparta:

Should've made it a part of the Nolan verse and watched everyone go nuts. There are already similarities so why not go all the way?

1 hour ago, baumer said:

That was about the most bland vanilla trailer where really nothing happens. I don't know what it is you guys are liking so much about it.

Acting happens. Phoenix just became Joker. 

Something happens: Trailer pretty much implies that this Joker is going to interact with a young Bruce Wayne and kidnap him. It also shows that perhaps this Joker turns into an idea because several people are wearing his mask and fighting against the police. We also see Arkham. 

Nothing else needs to be said. This is "Joker Begins". 

17 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Should've made it a part of the Nolan verse and watched everyone go nuts. There are already similarities so why not go all the way?

To be fair, if they DID go down the route of this being "the original", and an inspiration for Ledger's Joker in TDK, three decades earlier, it wouldn't need some kind of gigantic mental and creative gymnastics to make it fit...

34 minutes ago, AndyK said:

The EndGame trailers were the biggest non event of the year. I'm looking forward to the movie, but let's get real, the trailers had virtually zero content of note.

Whenever I said that, the reactions have been...unkind. Lol. I am incredibly excited for EG. I've got my tickets for the 25th in IMAX. They're not great seats, but they were the only options if I wanted to see it then. I believe it will be a record-breaker in numerous markets. But... All the trailed have been such non-events for me. And I get why, they didn't want to spoil anything. Fair enough, I really respect that. I'm happy with that - EG doesn't need bombastic, money-shot filled trailers when it had Infinity War to sell it. So to see people falling over themselves because of the trailers is just as baffling to me as Joker's trailer is to Baumer. Different strokes for different folks... :)

I thought nothing could ever top Ledger’s take on the Joker and after seeing Leto so epically screw it up I was even more convinced. I still think so after the trailer but holy crap Joaquin Phoenix is incredible. 

The trailer was great but Phoenix absolutely craps over everything in there. This just shot up on my anticipated list. If the movie turns out to be as good as the trailer then Phoenix will definitely be in the run for an Oscar. 

Overall I dont know if seeing Jokers background and origins makes for a good take on the character. Afterall we didnt need that for Ledger’s joker. But I am definitely excited for this

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

That was about the most bland vanilla trailer where really nothing happens. I don't know what it is you guys are liking so much about it.

What happen in a movie is only one element, and this being a franchise movie most pretty much assume what will happen in the movie (we will an origin story of the Joker).

Tone, cinematography, character, the angle on why Joker became what it became overall proposition conveyed in the trailer is I imagine what some people like a lot (could suspect a lot of the reaction is just pre-build from the franchise + the very brilliant use of music).

This imo is one of the best trailer of all time:

Not much happen in it, but it convey a lot about the lead characters and tone/humor style of the movie.

Just now, ZeeSoh said:

If the movie turns out to be as good as the trailer then Phoenix will definitely be in the run for an Oscar. 

He won't. He has failed to get noms for a lot of his amazing work. Even got snubbed this year for You Were Never Really Here. And the academy very likely hates him now (because he hates them).

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

He won't. He has failed to get noms for a lot of his amazing work. Even got snubbed this year for You Were Never Really Here. And the academy very likely hates him now (because he hates them).

It would be a shame if Phoenix ended up the only Joker without an Oscar, he deserves one (but almost certainly won't get one with this movie).

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

He is still a 3 time nominee and a vast portion of the Academy were not member at the time of Joaquin biggest roles and I would imagine most feel absolutely not personally vised or care about any of Phoenix feeling about the Academy (if they do not share them themselves).

George C Scott won the year he wrote that famous letter and refused the trophy:

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2017/01/27/george-c-scott-is-the-first-actor-ever-to-refuse-an-oscar-saying-that-the-ceremony-was-a-two-hour-meat-parade/

And he was nominated the year right after, Brando was nominated the year right after the Godfather.

Hating the Academy historically do not seem to be a big deal, Woody Allen for example have a good track record with them even if he never went to the ceremony (exception made for an New York homage right after the 9-11 event and often talked against the process and made rules about not using is name or make any campaigning on is behalf), Malick, etc... 

Edited by Barnack

15 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

To be fair, if they DID go down the route of this being "the original", and an inspiration for Ledger's Joker in TDK, three decades earlier, it wouldn't need some kind of gigantic mental and creative gymnastics to make it fit...

I just remembered this is set in the 80's. What I'm saying is this could've been a Ledger Joker origin film. It's not ideal no matter what having the Joker explained, but if you're gonna do it, then do it in that world. 

If this is as huge as I am suspecting it will be and Phoenix,even if the movie gets so so reviews, gets universal praise for his performance then there is a high chance he at least gets a nomination.It's definently not your typical comic book movie and the academy wants to nominate more GA friendly films.

3 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I just remembered this is set in the 80's. What I'm saying is this could've been a Ledger Joker origin film. It's not ideal no matter what having the Joker explained, but if you're gonna do it, then do it in that world. 

Isn't the Joker not being explained (just want to watch the world burn, etc...) quite integral to Nolan take ?

Sound like a terrible idea to do anything to that trilogy without is involvement, no ?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Isn't the Joker not being explained (just want to watch the world burn, etc...) quite integral to Nolan take ?

Sound like a terrible idea to do anything to that trilogy without is involvement, no ?

It's integral to the character as a whole in my opinion. But if you're gonna do it, if you're going to explain him, then ground it in something that makes sense. Setting it in that world would make sense, particularly given that there are already so many similarities between the two.  

The world Nolan created is so great that I wish WB had taken it and ran with it. That trilogy could've served as a perfect jumping-off point for the DCEU (remember themes of escalation?), but it's too late now. And I love Nolan, but there are plenty of good filmmakers who could play around in the sandbox he created. 

There many problems with the comic book movie business right now. Continuity isn't one of them. 

Edited by tonytr87

I will also add that the setting looks beautiful. The cinematography looks amazing. It’s like someone on Collider said that New York itself is a character in the movie. It’s the closest tonally and look wise to TDK than any SH movie since TDK

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

You really need to watch a few films made before you are born.

*Reads post*

*Looks at who wrote it*

Yep, figured.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Yeah, no, I got what you meant. What I was saying is if they DID want to connect it, the fact that this is set 2-3 decades before TDK would allow for this to fit in, by having this be an original Joker, with Ledger's taking inspiration. So, keep a tenuous link, yet not actually spoiling one of TDK Joker's best attributes, namely his lack of backstory. 

I doubt they would go down that route - and I wouldn't necessarily want them - but it WOULD fit. 

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 1