Eric Plus

Joker | Oct 4 2019 | BE WARNED | ZERO TOLERANCE

4 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Fine? Pre-Hangover sequels he averaged right around 50%.

Why not include the Hangover sequels and War Dogs? If anything those are even closer to him because he was a co-writer on those (RT is wrong, he did not write the first Hangover) just like Joker. He hasn't shown to be a particularly clever writer or an inventive director with a vision in any of his films. Some of his films are mildly entertaining that you watch once and forget about afterwards, but Joker is aiming for the likes of Scorsese like King of Comedy and Taxi Driver. Admittedly though, it looks fantastic and clearly by far and away the best photographed movie he's ever done. But Zack Snyder movies also look great, it doesn't save the actual movie when the same issues clearly pop up in every film he directs. Todd Phillips hasn't shown he can pace a movie or structure a story (or even a scene) and that could be this movie's downfall.

Overall I am a bit mixed on Phillips 

This  looks like he's trying something different who knows it might very well not work.   But I'd rather have a director try something different and possibly have it fail than just be forgettable.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Why not include the Hangover sequels and War Dogs? If anything those are even closer to him because he was a co-writer on those (RT is wrong, he did not write the first Hangover) just like Joker. He hasn't shown to be a particularly clever writer or an inventive director with a vision in any of his films. Some of his films are mildly entertaining that you watch once and forget about afterwards, but Joker is aiming for the likes of Scorsese like King of Comedy and Taxi Driver. Admittedly though, it looks fantastic and clearly by far and away the best photographed movie he's ever done. But Zack Snyder movies also look great, it doesn't save the actual movie when the same issues clearly pop up in every film he directs. Todd Phillips hasn't shown he can pace a movie or structure a story (or even a scene) and that could be this movie's downfall.

To you.

4 hours ago, Hades said:

Its best you stick to your MCU films..ok

Lol I'll stick to films that actually look good and interest me, sometimes that includes DC movies. Nice try though. 

6 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

To you.

What are you hoping to gain by pointing out the obvious? Of course it's "to me", it's my opinion that I'm sharing whenever it's not undisputed facts like the RT scores. You literally started this by saying you were confused by the Todd Phillips "hate", and I answered with the doubts I have about him. Outside of just my own opinions, clearly his movies generally aren't that well received by critics. Only one movie he's directed is green on MetaCritic, and that is also the only movie above low 60s on Rottentomatoes. He does fare a little better with audiences but unless Joker is a knockout success in quality, how much of that audience will transfer over considering just how different it is to a boner comedy like Road Trip?

28 minutes ago, Lucas said:

You can see the seams with this one via Joaquim overacting. As much as any cbm aims to emulate certain better movies, the verdict tends to still be a cute endeavor.

Every director is unproven until their first success. Phillips has it in him, no doubt, and if Phoenix is good enough, Phillips may not even matter that much. 

Ledger was so good he made fans forget about there butchered Dent origin, the insane complexity of Joker's plan, etc...

oh great now excel is going to tell us how bad TDK was outside of Ledger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, excel1 said:

Locked.

2 hours ago, excel1 said:

Locked.

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

\

2 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

3 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

TDK is perf in every way.  :batey: 💵

• Like 1

Does anyone else think trailer views on YT seem oddly low for a movie that’s still trending at number one, and that has over 500k likes? 

2 hours ago, Premium George said:

#don'tcallmeedgy

#I'm14butnotlikeother14yearoldsIlikematurethings

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

This movie deserve to do $2B. But unlike Black panther, no one supports gamers.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Does anyone else think trailer views on YT seem oddly low for a movie that’s still trending at number one, and that has over 500k likes? 

I think it’s twitter views are considerably higher then past dc movies but I don’t know enough about YouTube views to really give an opinion. 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, RichWS said:

Are they gonna introduce the next Batman in the end credits sequence? Anybody have a definite answer? Please.

Hell.no.

We don't even know if this is set in the standard DCU.

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, DAR said:

Overall I am a bit mixed on Phillips 

This  looks like he's trying something different who knows it might very well not work.   But I'd rather have a director try something different and possibly have it fail than just be forgettable.

Philips seems to be treating this as if it were not a Comic Book Movie. The trailer certainly seems much more "Taxi Driver" then "The Dark Knight".

And that is why I think this movie is going to very divisive among comic book fans. I repeat my comment about people saying the want new takes on a genre, then screaming bloody murder if they get them.