Eric Plus

Joker | Oct 4 2019 | BE WARNED | ZERO TOLERANCE

Posted (edited)

Lot of blue checkmarks chiming in, BTW.

===

Thing is, that sort of rumormongering is... I dunno, at least this time they're naming the movie instead of playing guessing games like they sometimes do.  Still is...  Meh.  Whatever.

Anywho, what makes me wonder is it "bad scripting" or "promotes issues which will light up Twitter".  Could go either way.

What ever the case is, not the sort of buzz this film needed, to say the least.  

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

===

Thing is, that sort of rumormongering is... I dunno, at least this time they're naming the movie instead of playing guessing games like they sometimes do.  Still is...  Meh.  Whatever.

Anywho, what makes me wonder is it "bad scripting" or "promotes issues which will light up Twitter".  Could go either way.

Judging by the tone, I think it's probably bad politics.

• Like 2

Outside of Tapley, all those checkmarks are incredibly easy to please too, which is doubly concerning. I guess Phoenix lost all that weight for nothing lmao

Still can't see this opening less than Venom though.

Posted (edited)

Iirc there was talk about Joker having a strong anti-Trump political slant before the teaser. Maybe that's what they're talking about? I would not be surprised in the slightest to see clumsy, ham-fisted political commentary that riles some people up. Also, it's directed by the director of the Hangover movies. Yeah...

Edited by stealthyfrog

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

Also, it's directed by the director of the Hangover movies. Yeah...

But Joaquin! 

I guess Lindelof's Watchmen is the only funnybook anything I have any interest in now for the next year :L 

Edited by TMP

Posted (edited)

US was kinda anti Trump did fine

Edited by cdsacken

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

-SNIP-

Is that supposed to be a page of the actual script from the movie?  If so, you might consider deleting it.

Knowing Drew McWeeny if it's politics are bad it's not because it's too liberal/anti-trump.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Is that supposed to be a page of the actual script from the movie?  If so, you might consider deleting it.

Sorry, forgot about the leaks policy

• Like 1

This movie is meant to be incredibly anti-Trump, so I don't think politics is what set McWeeny off unless he's a closeted conservative or something

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Knowing Drew McWeeny if it's politics are bad it's not because it's too liberal/anti-trump.

Hard to read tone, but I just presumed bad movie.  If it is 'politics', I presume that it's something that isn't going to go over very well with a lot of Film Twitter.

Like, it'd be ironic if it really did play into that Gamer/We Live in a Society meme after all. 

If it does.... Whooo wow, that would pretty much light up Twitter alright. 

15 minutes ago, Porthos said:

===

Post like that (the original tweet)are pointless and do nothing but start rumours and mass hysteria among fandom and makes things even more toxic online.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, this is just the world we live in now with social media. 

• Like 1

Just now, cax16 said:

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, this is just the society we live in now with social media. 

FTFY

Posted (edited)

Can we please put an end to this annoying practice of going on social media and declaring “I heard this movie is bad”? Seriously, what are these “journalists” trying to accomplish with this shit, other than causing mass panic over a movie that won’t even be out for months? 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 4

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Can we please put an end to this annoying practice of going “I heard this movie is bad”? Seriously, what are these “journalists” trying to accomplish with this shit? 

clout? No-one ever said movie journos or scooper bros had integrity. 

9 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Post like that (the original tweet)are pointless and do nothing but start rumours and mass hysteria among fandom and makes things even more toxic online.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, this is just the world we live in now with social media. 

At least they're actually naming the movie this time.  Often times they'll say something like "There's a big blockbuster everyone's looking forward to and it's got a lot of problems" or "Just saw a script of a highly anticipated film and YIKES."

That's the utter worst.  This at least is concrete buzz. Bad, toxic, borderline unhelpful buzz.  But still buzz.

Still, yes.  Could probably do without.  Hence me alluding to that in my initial reaction to all the piling on.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

At least they're actually naming the movie this time.  Often times they'll say something like "There's a big blockbuster everyone's looking forward to and it's got a lot of problems" or "Just saw a script of a highly anticipated film and YIKES."

That's the utter worst.  This at least is concrete buzz. Bad, toxic, borderline unhelpful buzz.  But still buzz.

Still, yes.  Could probably do without.  Hence me alluding to that in my initial reaction to all the piling on.

Basically what I’m saying, just an unnecessary tweet. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1

It's also reactions like those that make me sympathize a little bit more with some of the more ironclad NO SPOILERS NO LEAKS NO NOTHING policies from some studios when it comes to their movies. 

I personally think Lucasfilm goes way overboard on the secrecy front, for instance. They should be engaging with the entertainment press a hell of a lot more than they do.

But if this is how entertainment journalists act when they get their hands on a script (either through proper channels or not) that they don't like, I can... sympathize with a reluctance to really want to engage with them.

Even at best it's a Gossip Game and some folks really just don't like gossip running rampant through social media.

Many many others do, of course.  Hence the popularity of gossip in the first place.

• Like 2