Eric Dolittle

Joker | Oct 4 2019 | BE WARNED | ZERO TOLERANCE

I called it tbh @It being from it's politics being bad

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I knew this would be controversial from the moment Todd Phillips signed onto it so none of this surprises me whatsoever.

I mean, why shouldn’t the film be controversial? If you’re going to make a Joker origin movie at all, I’d at least hope for something that’s weird and experimental, especially if it’s a one-off that stars an actor who pretty much only stars in weird art house films these days. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*sees McWeeny's latest Tweet*

Ah, fucksticks. That's the exact opposite of what I wanted to hear.  And now I suspect I know exactly what he meant about getting Twitter pissed off. At least a general ballpark.

Just hope he's wrong about how it all plays out.  But, yeah.  Oof.

I've never seen Fight Club and don't know who Tucker Max is. What's the tweet implying?

Edited by stealthyfrog

2 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

I've never seen Fight Club and don't know who Tucker Max is. What's the tweet implying?

I basically took it to imply that the folks running around quoting "We live in a society" and the like (think 'Gamer Joker') are gonna love the shit out of the character. 

Whether or not the movie still paints the character as a "role model" is up in the air.  But McWeeny is implying that those folks will see said Joker as a role model, whether the film tries to or not and that the debates on Twitter will be The Opposite of Fun.

Maybe I'm misreading it all, but that's my #1 suspicion. 

• Thanks 1

I didn’t even know what a “chud” was until I just now looked it up. So, wait, is McWeeny saying that this film is going to be a wet dream for the people who listen to Jordan Peterson? But I thought Thomas Wayne (the supposed bad guy of the film) was going to be portrayed as a Donald Trump type sleazy businessman?

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Image result for meow gif sonic

Ngl I uh don't like that he said this to a woman.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

I didn’t even know what a “chud” was until I just now looked it up. So, wait, is McWeeny saying that this film is going to be a wet dream for the people who listen to Jordan Peterson? But I thought Thomas Wayne (the supposed bad guy of the film) was going to be portrayed as a Donald Trump type sleazy businessman?

Might be a danger in overreading things.  But if it's more of an anarchist anger, that can still cut across ideological lines.

To put it another way, even if Thomas Wayne is allegedly Trump like, that doesn't stop the film from appealing to angry gamers/YouTubers.

Maybe.  Who knows.  But not what I wanted to hear at all.

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Yeah, that was a super dick thing to do.

Anyway, all these tweets mean nothing to me other than that Phoenix isn't coming anywhere near an Oscar nom for this, not that he was in the first place since he won't be campaigning (even the Golden Globes won't bite since it's a guarantee he won't show up to the ceremony).

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Exhibit #7,567,122,842* in: Folks who are supposed to be "Allies" but still have MASSIVE blind spots when it comes to dealing with women.  Especially when they are losing their temper.

* Underestimate, sadly.

Anyway, all I have to say about that.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 9

Tbh I wouldn't mind watching a Joker movie that leans unironically into the "we live in a society" thing and laughing at how stupid it is. Not for $12 in a theaters, mind you. Maybe on streaming.

Yeesh. Idk why he’s replying to those tweeting him if he’s going to get pissy about it. He posted the first tweet and there’s no way he didn’t think he’d get people calling him out on it, especially since he directly named the movie and knows how fandoms get. I don’t think it’s that big a deal that he tweeted his opinion about the script, but he definitely knew the kind of reaction he’d get. To act offended and get upset after the fact is ridiculous. 

• Like 5
  • Not Cool 1

Based on what I'm getting from this, it doesn't appear that they dislike the movie because it's poorly written, but rather the subtext of the movie.

My guess is they try and make it seem that the Joker's mass murder spree is justified due to society or something

3 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Yeesh. Idk why he’s replying to those tweeting him if he’s going to get pissy about it. He posted the first tweet and there’s no way he didn’t think he’d get people calling him out on it, especially since he directly named the movie and knows how fandoms get. I don’t think it’s that big a deal that he tweeted his opinion about the script, but he definitely knew the kind of reaction he’d get. To act offended and get upset after the fact is ridiculous. 

Yeah, why even post about the movie if you didn't want to discuss it. He put it out there to spark a conversation, but he doesn't want a conversation.

29 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Might be a danger in overreading things.  But if it's more of an anarchist anger, that can still cut across ideological lines.

To put it another way, even if Thomas Wayne is allegedly Trump like, that doesn't stop the film from appealing to angry gamers/YouTubers.

Maybe.  Who knows.  But not what I wanted to hear at all.

Couldn’t you say the same about Rorschach from Watchmen?

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Couldn’t you say the same about Rorschach from Watchmen?

Alan Moore's said a lot of times Rorschach is not someone to be admired.

• Like 1