Eric Addams

Joker | Oct 4 2019 | BE WARNED | ZERO TOLERANCE

On 7/24/2019 at 5:37 PM, MuffinMan said:

Eh, A Star Is Born was last year.

Lol, I knew there'd be something. Not sure 4th producer credit counts too much though.

43 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I know that but I still have never seen an trailer for an R rated movie at a PG or G rated movie.

Studio have a way around the MPAA rules (trailer of yet to be rated movie can play for example)

https://variety.com/2019/film/festivals/venice-film-festival-alberto-barbera-gender-parity-netflix-roman-polanski-hollywood-1203279528/

“Q: You pointed out at the press conference that it’s rare for Warner Bros. to be in competition, as they are this year with "Joker."

Yes, as usual they said they wanted to be in a more protected situation [as with “A Star Is Born” last year, which launched out of competition]. But then [director] Todd Phillips said: “I don’t care if I run the risk of not winning. Why shouldn’t I go in competition when I know what we’ve I’ve got on our hands?” 

I have to say, Warners was convinced pretty rapidly, because it’s a really surprising film. It’s the most surprising film we’ve got this year…This one’s going straight to the Oscars even though it’s gritty, dark, violent. It has amazing ambition and scope. 

Q: A bit less Hollywood in Venice this year. Why?

There is a strange situation this year with American cinema due to what’s happening in the industry. There’s an earthquake undermining the U.S. film industry as we know it: Disney buying Fox and dismantling it, so that in a while people won’t even remember it existed; Paramount just distributing movies made by other outfits….Fortunately, Warner Bros. is holding up. Disney has a become such a colossus that it’s even alarming due to its size and its ability to shape the future. 

There is also some uncertainty about Sony. Lionsgate…is now on the verge of a sale. The landscape is changing so rapidly that it’s normal for this to impact product [output]. There were definitely less quality [U.S.] titles on offer this year, even though we have no shortage of good movies.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, cax16 said:

https://variety.com/2019/film/festivals/venice-film-festival-alberto-barbera-gender-parity-netflix-roman-polanski-hollywood-1203279528/

“Q: You pointed out at the press conference that it’s rare for Warner Bros. to be in competition, as they are this year with "Joker."

Yes, as usual they said they wanted to be in a more protected situation [as with “A Star Is Born” last year, which launched out of competition]. But then [director] Todd Phillips said: “I don’t care if I run the risk of not winning. Why shouldn’t I go in competition when I know what we’ve I’ve got on our hands?” 

I have to say, Warners was convinced pretty rapidly, because it’s a really surprising film. It’s the most surprising film we’ve got this year…This one’s going straight to the Oscars even though it’s gritty, dark, violent. It has amazing ambition and scope. 

There is a strange situation this year with American cinema due to what’s happening in the industry. There’s an earthquake undermining the U.S. film industry as we know it: Disney buying Fox and dismantling it, so that in a while people won’t even remember it existed; Paramount just distributing movies made by other outfits….Fortunately, Warner Bros. is holding up. Disney has a become such a colossus that it’s even alarming due to its size and its ability to shape the future. 

There is also some uncertainty about Sony. Lionsgate…is now on the verge of a sale. The landscape is changing so rapidly that it’s normal for this to impact product [output]. There were definitely less quality [U.S.] titles on offer this year, even though we have no shortage of good movies.

He's not wrong. Filmmakers must be such a melancholy bunch right now. :(

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)

This (festival run) is either going to be a genius way to build stellar buzz or an enormous miscalculation. :popcorn: i have faith in Phoenix but we'll see about the rest. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, sabrecmc said:

The trailer for this played in front of my showing of TLK and boy, was that not the right audience for this movie, lol.

Dirty Little Secret;Sometimes the guy who usually serves the popcorn also decides which trailer goes into wihich theater...….you get a lot of mismatches like that.

A movie based on comic book material might be an awards contender. and comic book fanboys complain about it...Unfreaking believable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, cax16 said:

He's spot on about the state of American film. It's absolutely dire.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

A movie based on comic book material might be an awards contender. and comic book fanboys complain about it...Unfreaking believable.

Did you have this same energy when fanboys were complaining about Black Panther? Genuine question. 🤔 

I'm really not a fan of any movie that is so blatant about seeking awards before the movie even releases. And since I believe there are other movies WB should be prioritizing, this one will remain near the bottom of my must-see list, awards contender or not.

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Not Cool 1

3 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Did you have this same energy when fanboys were complaining about Black Panther? Genuine question. 🤔 

I'm really not a fan of any movie that is so blatant about seeking awards before the movie even releases. And since I believe there are other movies WB should be prioritizing, this one will remain near the bottom of my must-see list, awards contender or not.

I was defending Black Panther and its Oscar nom more vigorously than most people.

Also most awards contenders are blatant about seeking awards. That's how those films get awards. WB isn't doing anything different to what Netflix did with Roma last year. Hell, I'm pretty sure that WB is spending as much as Netflix did on Roma and Disney on Black Panther for their awards campaigns.

Also The Goldfinch and Motherless Brooklyn are also getting awards pushes.

• Like 2

New trailer in a few “weeks”, Phillips said on Instagram. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Honestly though, Joker getting into the competition  this year of all years is really surprising because this year there are only 4 films in the competition (including Joker). In 2016 there were 8, in 2017 there were 7, and in 2018 there were 8 again.  The last time there were only 4 American films in competition was 5 years ago.

Edited by lorddemaxus

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I was defending Black Panther and its Oscar nom more vigorously than most people.

Also most awards contenders are blatant about seeking awards. That's how those films get awards. WB isn't doing anything different to what Netflix did with Roma last year. Hell, I'm pretty sure that WB is spending as much as Netflix did on Roma and Disney on Black Panther for their awards campaigns.

Also The Goldfinch and Motherless Brooklyn are also getting awards pushes.

Well yes, most of are blatant but usually not until campaigning kicks into high gear. WB is starting mighty early and with a movie that's not exactly going to suffer from lack of exposure. We'll see how it works out for them. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

That last paragraph is contradicting itself quite a bit though. You don't like it because Warner Brothers wants to push it for awards. You don't like when studios are blatant about pushing for awards. But you also think Warner Brothers should be prioritizing OTHER movies.... which would mean you wouldn't like THEM either, according to this logic... and then you say that whether this is an awards contender or not, you're not a fan of this movie... which you haven't seen... But the reason you're not a fan of the movie is because it's an awards contender... Suggesting that if it WASN'T an awards contender, you might give it some slack...

I'm skeptical of the movie because it's Todd Phillips using The Joker to do Scorsese karaoke. That's all I need to know to be wary. All that other stuff is just rigmarole...

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier

12 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

That last paragraph is contradicting itself quite a bit though. You don't like it because Warner Brothers wants to push it for awards. You don't like when studios are blatant about pushing for awards. But you also think Warner Brothers should be prioritizing OTHER movies.... which would mean you wouldn't like THEM either, according to this logic... and then you say that whether this is an awards contender or not, you're not a fan of this movie... which you haven't seen... But the reason you're not a fan of the movie is because it's an awards contender... Suggesting that if it WASN'T an awards contender, you might give it some slack...

I'm skeptical of the movie because it's Todd Phillips doing Scorsese karaoke. That's all I need to know to be wary. All that other stuff is just rigmarole...

You have really done the absolute most with this, lol. First of all, I think Joker is a wholly unncessary movie and WB should be spending more time developing its core DC films, not elseworld tales. This is what I mean by prioritizing other movies. I was slightly annoyed that they were making this movie at the start and completely over it once it became clear that is was an awards bait movie. This is all. No need to engage in nearly as much overanalyzing as you've done here. 

Posted (edited)

I'm not "overanalyzing" you or doing the most here, sorry... it just seemed like you were pretzeling yourself when you didn't have to.  Also, I don't know that there's even such a thing as "core DC films" anymore. They're all elseworlds now... You could probably argue they've always all been "elseworlds" but that might also be seen as "overanalysis" or doing the absolute most so I'll refrain from that, LOL.... But if you're basically saying you're not going to see it out of basically SPITE, even if it deserves to be an awards contender... I don't know. If it turns out beyond all expectation that this is a good movie, and if you like superhero stuff.... a good Elseworlds story about Joker on the big screen doesn't seem like a thing you'd want to avoid, right? 

Granted, I'd have liked if they'd spent the 40-50mil on this on something that wasn't letting the guy who made Road Trip impersonate the guy who directed Taxi Driver... But for $40 or 50, whatever they were going to make wasn't going to be a "core DC film" anyway... 

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

I'm not "overanalyzing" you or doing the most here, sorry... it just seemed like you were pretzeling yourself when you didn't have to.  Also, I don't know that there's even such a thing as "core DC films" anymore. They're all elseworlds now... You could probably argue they've always all been "elseworlds" but that might also be seen as "overanalysis" or doing the absolute most so I'll refrain from that, LOL.... But if you're basically saying you're not going to see it out of basically SPITE, even if it deserves to be an awards contender... I don't know. If it turns out beyond all expectation that this is a good movie, and if you like superhero stuff.... a good Elseworlds story about Joker on the big screen doesn't seem like a thing you'd want to avoid, right? 

Granted, I'd have liked if they'd spent the 40-50mil on this on something that wasn't letting the guy who made Road Trip impersonate the guy who directed Taxi Driver... But for $40 or 50, whatever they were going to make wasn't going to be a "core DC film" anyway... 

Wasn't "pretzeling" at all. Looks like you were projecting when perhaps you should have just asked what I meant instead. 

Even if there are no core DC films anymore, we know Joker is a standalone movie that has zero potential to build into something more. It's the kind of movie that you'd think would come from a studio that has its stuff together, not one that still has no clear plan or much of a clue as to what it's doing with its cbms. 

I'm not going to see it because I'm not interested in watching a movie that centers the Joker or asks me to understand him, especially not one with Phillips at the helm. Will I watch it at some point? Maybe. But I won't be spending any money to see it on the big screen. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

I understood what you meant though. You weren't unclear! I'm sorry I addressed it the way I did though, I could have done that better... But I also don't understand why Joker being a standalone movie even matters. So what if it never gets a sequel? Maybe it doesn't need one. There are a lot of movies I love that don't have, and never need, a sequel... I don't hold that against them. "What a waste, you didn't even try to make a sequel out of this..." 

Again, you and I are agreeing that we are supremely skeptical of this movie being good because of Todd Phillips... but if it IS good, I don't think it's a bad thing that it's a one-shot. 

DC Films isn't going to be Marvel Studios. It's never going to happen. They shouldn't try, and they're not going to. And I think that's fine!