Eric!

Joker | Oct 4 2019 | Todd Phillips directing | Joaquin Phoenix to play Joker | Reviews coming in. Winner of the Golden Lion at Venice 19. Good reactions from TIFF as well.

So this guy tweets that he read an script for an upcoming movie, says some negative things about it then proceeds to insult people who ask why he decided to post it on Twitter. Lol 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Alan Moore's said a lot of times Rorschach is not someone to be admired.

That’s exactly my point. Rorschach was written to be this unlikeable and ugly mental case, but a lot of people didn’t get the memo, and think he’s this relatable badass. Who’s to say the same wouldn’t apply for Arthur Fleck?

• Like 2

Just now, WittyUsername said:

That’s exactly my point. Rorschach was written to be this unlikeable and ugly mental case, but a lot of people didn’t get the memo, and think he’s this relatable badass. Who’s to say the same wouldn’t apply for Arthur Fleck?

Rorschach wasn't the MC of Watchmen.

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Rorschach wasn't the MC of Watchmen.

We did see things through his perspective for a fair amount of the story. 

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

We did see things through his perspective for a fair amount of the story. 

Yeah but we had Nite Owl to balance it out.

12 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

I'm pretty sure Zazie Beetz said that they were rewriting the script on set

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, TestPattern said:

Holy fuck, is that what I'm suppose to be mad about? He's the fucking villain

Spoiler

On its face, it's a natural development of Joker's character, but that plot point could easily go awry if executed poorly, especially since this is Joker we're talking about

Edited by stealthyfrog

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, stealthyfrog said:

On its face, it's a natural development of Joker's character, but that plot point could easily go awry if executed poorly, especially since this is Joker we're talking about

I would also suspect that ain't the only thing going on along those lines.  Like, if it was just that, I don't think it would be a big deal, again depending on how it was portrayed.  I suspect it isn't the only thing.

Anywho, can't talk about leaks directly  here, so best to leave it to the side, I think.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

This movie has a tenuous grasp with the actual comics, him doing that would be absolutely in character, he did it for basically a 2 decades.

I feel like of people are concerned about the impact this movie will have on the people who will watch it and gravitate to the character, rather than the movie itself. In the end, this movie has been rewritten a bunch of times and still being edited, so who knows what will happen

4 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

So... what are we supposed to be mad about ..?

Basically, if you've seen the trailer, what you think the Joker will do, he will do.

Posted (edited)

Lol at the "spoiler", isn't Joker a psychotic villain? Are people really going into this movie expecting Joker to be a good guy :hahaha:

Edited by BeastByTheBay
  • Like 1

I've seen enough of bloggers and journalists do this that you learn to ignore it over time. Doesn't mean McWeeny is wrong or anything how could he it's his opinion. If you want journalists to stop doing this type of thing the best way is to not give them any attention. 

That being said I'm probably in the minority but films where the villain is the protagonist of the story doesn't interest all that much especially someone as vile as the Joker. Great in small doses or when bouncing off Batman but idk if I could sit through 2 hours. Film could change my mind of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

That being said I'm probably in the minority but films where the villain is the protagonist of the story doesn't interest all that much especially someone as vile as the Joker. Great in small doses or when bouncing off Batman but idk if I could sit through 2 hours. Film could change my mind of course.

Calling it now this movie will be Bohemian Rhapsody of comic book villain movie

Did anyone really expect this kind of movie to be politically correct and for everyone? Did you watch the trailer or read interviews? Of course this movie will trigger idiots, especially modern "press".

50 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Did anyone really expect this kind of movie to be politically correct and for everyone? Did you watch the trailer or read interviews? Of course this movie will trigger idiots, especially modern "press".

The point isn't being 'politically correct' or not 'triggering idiots'.  The point is whether or not the film, for the lack of a better turn of phrase, "Takes the Joker's side". 

That is, whatever he gets up to in this movie, the problem area would be if its portrayed sympathetically or 'understandably'.   Like, take that Tyler Durden comparison.  One of the 'faults' of Fight Club is that it didn't quite go far enough in saying "Tyler Durden is NOT a dude you should emulate".  At least for some.  Some folks actually watch Fight Club and go, "Well, Durden might have had a few screws loose, but he was on the right track."  Others even omit that first clause.

What some are worrying about is if the film does anything other than present the Joker's acts as BAD THINGS.

Like, and here I'm talking pure speculation and without any knowledge of alleged spoilers or leaks, making him a sympathetic character who snaps is one thing.  Hell, making him snap because people berating him or treating him like shit, whatever.

But the 'danger' for lack of a better word, is the film basically saying "Well, Joker went too far, but can you blame him?" when it comes to whatever vile deeds he may or may not commit in the film.

I think that is an honest concern that doesn't rely on being 'politically correct' or 'being triggered too easily'.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

David Fincher on Fight Club:

Still, even the director has qualms about the movie’s fans.

“My daughter had a friend named Max. She told me ‘Fight Club’ is his favorite movie,” he said. “I told her never to talk to Max again.”

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 7
  • ...wtf 1