baumer

Good Time (2017)

Grade it  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Good Time is a very stylistic film. You can tell the Safdies have a clear goal with what they’re putting out on the screen and they do it well. Pattinson’s performance is strong too, making a very unlikable character sometimes sympathetic. Duress’s dudebro thug is easily the highlight, always entertaining with his hilarious stupidity. Although the themes about race relations and white privilege are certainly interesting, the movie doesn’t really engage beyond that, outside the pure style being displayed. The monologue in the center of the film is clearly the best part of the film, mixing the wit, style and thematic substance into one incredible five-minute stretch.

Unfortunately, the otherwise unstructured nature of the film didn’t do much for me, and at points, watching it felt like a chore outside of the stylish flourishes. The darker moments near the end finally add something interest, but until that, it’s just dull a lot of the time. Not even the excellent score and cinematography can improve those moments. Good Time is, for the majority of its runtime, at the same quality as its title promises. Too bad it didn’t really grab me for more than that. B-

• Like 1

On 9/5/2017 at 10:33 AM, Blankments said:

Good Time is a very stylistic film. You can tell the Safdies have a clear goal with what they’re putting out on the screen and they do it well. Pattinson’s performance is strong too, making a very unlikable character sometimes sympathetic. Duress’s dudebro thug is easily the highlight, always entertaining with his hilarious stupidity. Although the themes about race relations and white privilege are certainly interesting, the movie doesn’t really engage beyond that, outside the pure style being displayed. The monologue in the center of the film is clearly the best part of the film, mixing the wit, style and thematic substance into one incredible five-minute stretch.

Unfortunately, the otherwise unstructured nature of the film didn’t do much for me, and at points, watching it felt like a chore outside of the stylish flourishes. The darker moments near the end finally add something interest, but until that, it’s just dull a lot of the time. Not even the excellent score and cinematography can improve those moments. Good Time is, for the majority of its runtime, at the same quality as its title promises. Too bad it didn’t really grab me for more than that. B-

What he said. I'm a bit torn between giving this a 7 and 8, but it's in the B-range.

• Like 1

BITCH !!!!!! IT'S BEEN LIKE 3 YEARS SINCE I SAW A MOVIE AS GOOD AS THIS !!!!! CINEMA IS NOT DYING Y'ALL I REPEAT, CINEMA IS NOT DYING !!!!! (93%) A

tumblr_inline_oyv37kRxtG1ro4lwr_250.gif

robert pattinson..... could still get it idc idc idc idc idc idc idc idc whether or not he looks like a flawless sparkly vampire or a dusty middle-aged man sis..... whew

tumblr_inline_oz43ur1DRu1qf89pq_400.gif

nd the fact that he played this character so convincingly.... to come back to his interviews with a british ass accent.... bitch where's his oscar?

if the guy who played the brother isn't really mentally deficient, then he did a great ass job, too. (and if he really was, then iconic for representation in the industry !)

the good sis who played miss crystal........ gorl. kdjfnskjdfkf flawless. i couldn't even tell if she was acting. nd she got to lock some lip? 

tumblr_inline_oz29bbz9yH1qf89pq_400.gif

the guy who had the acid or whatever was annoying at first but he was funny at times, too. shame he had to get got at the end. rip, bitch.

honey..... this score........ eargasm. the aesthetic.... the cinnamontopography...... eyegasm. 

tumblr_inline_o683prUaYi1tvo1ro_250.gif

miss academy, y'all better adjust ur wigs !!!!! this movie is coming for those nominations bitch !!!!

tumblr_inline_o3phllRjJL1qeou26_500.gif

• Like 1

Never posted my thoughts when I saw it but this one stuck with me pretty well, great atmosphere and cast. Really felt authentic, both in terms of setting and performances. Gonna be one of those indies that gets remembered more in years to come than right as it was released IMO.

• Like 2

This is one of my favorite movies for 2017, maybe even my #1. I have never seen any previous Safdie Bros movie, didn't even knew they exist really, and Good Time was really a huge surprise for me.

I loved pretty much everything about it. The relentless music, the colours, they way every little episode is even more crazy than the previous one. It operates on a hightened reality but it absolutely works because it's filled with weird characters and it has such a great pace I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. The two movies that it reminded me them most were Run Lola Run and Scorsese's After Hours, and I love both of those movies. But especially like Run Lola Run, Good Time seems like it was edited to fit the music not the other way around. Really impressive stuff. Pattinson is fantastic, he's been good in other stuff, but this is his best easily. Buddy Duress is also phenomenal, his monologue about the bottle was the best scene in the movie.

It's really a shame it was a non-starter at the boxoffice but it seems like the type of film that could get a cult following over the years.

• Like 1