WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 32): THB 10.3M | Annabelle 7.7M | Leap 4.7M | Wind River 4.6M | Logan Lucky 4.2M | Dragon 2.7M | Where are the clowns, cults, and Cruise when you need them?

I know this is some minor shit but I noticed some recent advertising in Disney World advertising their animated films but strangely Coco isn't mentioned on their bags but the Frozen short is mentioned.

Edited by YourMother

Just now, YourMother said:

I know this is some minor shit but I noticed some recent advertising in Disney World advertising their animated films but strangely Coco isn't mentioned.

There's a giant poster for Coco at my theater with a big "Olaf's Frozen Adventure" placard at the bottom. Disney gonna continue milking that Frozen Fever for all it's worth until the sequel comes out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

There's a giant poster for Coco at my theater with a big "Olaf's Frozen Adventure" placard at the bottom. Disney gonna continue milking that Frozen Fever for all it's worth until the sequel comes out.

Yeah, that double sided one with Thor is up at my AMC.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I wonder how much it'll help, Cinderella did $200M+ with a Frozen short but the short is likely airing a few weeks after Coco on TV.

Edited by YourMother

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Nope, and I can't find their numbers in any of the trades.

I just checked Forbes and:

Ingrid Goes West: $317,000

Good Time: $243,000

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/08/26/friday-box-office-wonder-woman-returns-to-imax-tops-405m/#2f85c0e21d45

Dismal for both in terms of theater average but they probably only gonna expanded so wide because theaters are parched at the moment. Neither is likely to reach $5M though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I just checked Forbes and:

Ingrid Goes West: $317,000

Good Time: $243,000

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/08/26/friday-box-office-wonder-woman-returns-to-imax-tops-405m/#2f85c0e21d45

Dismal for both in terms of theater average but they probably only gonna expanded so wide because theaters are parched at the moment. Neither is likely to reach $5M though.

Holy fuck, Ingrid's PTA is going to be around $1,500 for the weekend and Good Time's at barely 1k. They're not gonna get expanded to 1k theaters. How lame. They're skewing younger too, so rural audiences won't go for them.

Edited by WrathOfHan

My sadness lives in downtown Vancouver and was talking about how a huge stretch of one of the main streets was closed off for the filming of Deadpool 2.

Actually, whenever I talk to friends in Vancouver, the filming of D2 comes up a lot. That and Riverdale I guess are big deals there :

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Holy fuck, Ingrid's PTA is going to be around $1,500 for the weekend and Good Time's at barely 1k. They're not gonna get expanded to 1k theaters.

Ingrid might finish with less than Colossal for Neon despite playing in almost twice as many theaters, though I guess it could be worse considering it's a somewhat weird looking movie and neither Plaza or Olsen are draws (Renner's presence is likely doing more for Wind River than Olsen's is). Good Time is continuing what's been a rough year for A24, hopefully The Florida Project and The Disaster Artist can turn things around for them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I imagine Wind River gets about 500 more theaters next weekend given it has the third best PTA of the weekend. Is 3k theaters a stretch for next weekend?

Considering the state of the marketplace (and the two openers being a re-release of a 40 year old movie and a dump-and-run job that won't even be in 1K theaters), it wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1

Ingrid felt like a total non starter. Not sure why anyone thought it would be good to release in theaters. It has streaming written all over it. Good Time has one of the worst marketing campaigns I have never seen. I sought out the trailer when it dropped. It was fantastic. That was the last time I saw anything about it. A24 majorly fucked up on this. If they are gonna release movies in theaters, they have to do a better job. Why not just sell to streaming?

4 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

Ingrid felt like a total non starter. Not sure why anyone thought it would be good to release in theaters. It has streaming written all over it. Good Time has one of the worst marketing campaigns I have never seen. I sought out the trailer when it dropped. It was fantastic. That was the last time I saw anything about it. A24 majorly fucked up on this. If they are gonna release movies in theaters, they have to do a better job. Why not just sell to streaming?

Both studios actually tried to sell these movies (especially Neon and Ingrid), audiences just didn't respond to them. It's becoming increasingly common for most specialty titles that either aren't easily accessible to mainstream crowds (The Big Sick, Wind River) or aren't awards contenders these days that they just don't find an audience in theaters.

Edited by filmlover

Looking forward to next weekend, I think this might surprise:

BOM lists it opening in 370 theaters, Instructions Not Included made $7.8M in 348 theaters, and a number like that would be enough for #1 next weekend. OTOH Hazlo Como Hombre just has one of Eugenio Derbez's kids rather than him in it. But it probably outgrosses Tulip Fever...

Saw S:H tonight in a Movie Tavern theater for the first time. Really enjoyed the movie. Easily the best one since Spidey2. 

As for the theater, I loved it! Recliner seats, waiters taking your order. Awesome! It was my first experience with assigned seating as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1