Incarnadine

Theater bans Gone With The Wind for being "Insensitive"

http://deadline.com/2017/08/gone-with-the-wind-racism-memphis-tennessee-orpheum-theatre-hattie-mcdaniel-vivien-leigh-charlottesville-1202156922/

The world gets crazier and crazier.

The article doesn't mention that the theater has had screenings for GWTW for the last 34 years, sometimes more than 1, with no problems, but suddenly they get some people throwing a fit on their Facebook page and it's time to ban a classic.

I have to wonder how many complaints they got from local movie goers, the people who might actually patronize  the establishment, as opposed to random online users who could be from anywhere and in all likelihood would probably never come within 100 miles of the theater.

The term "slippery slope" comes to mind. I believe we are well down the slope now and still picking up speed.

• Like 5

Yeah, I hate this shit with a passion. Same as this recent tearing down statues stuff.

Here in Canada, some people want Sir John A. Macdonald's name (our first prime minister) removed from all schools named after him.

• Like 5

Damn right they should have. Movie is a celebration of slavery and the Confederacy. It's a disgrace. It should be watched in American Studies classes like Birth of a Nation, not shown for pleasure and profit. 

Oh, and those statues and flags should all be burnt to the ground at once. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 1

I have no words to describe this occurrence. I probably couldn't even use an emoticon to say what I really think about this. It feels that wrong to me.

So I'll say this instead: You cannot erase history. No matter how many flags you burn, no matter how many pages you rip from the headlines, no matter how many schoolchildren you deceive, you will not be able to erase things that happened in the past.

I agree with much of what Incarnadine said, and I stress that we, as mature, compassionate, and intelligent film enthusiasts, must do everything we can to preserve artistic integrity.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, slambros said:

I have no words to describe this occurrence. I probably couldn't even use an emoticon to say what I really think about this. It feels that wrong to me.

So I'll say this instead: You cannot erase history. No matter how many flags you burn, no matter how many pages you rip from the headlines, no matter how many schoolchildren you deceive, you will not be able to erase things that happened in the past.

I agree with much of what Incarnadine said, and I stress that we, as mature, compassionate, and intelligent film enthusiasts, must do everything we can to preserve artistic integrity.

You can't erase them, but you shouldn't celebrate them with flags or memoralize them with statues. They belong in a museum and in history classes.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

There's a difference between preserving historical statues or films in a museum or archive and glorifying outdated and ignorant atrocities.

It's all about context. Let's not pretend there isn't a large segment of the population who would condone slavery and cheer pro-slavery monuments and films without an ounce of irony.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Damn right they should have. Movie is a celebration of slavery and the Confederacy. It's a disgrace. It should be watched in American Studies classes like Birth of a Nation, not shown for pleasure and profit. 

Oh, and those statues and flags should all be burnt to the ground at once. 

Oh please. This is just a new fad. I didn't see anybody complaining about statues and Gone With the Wind before Charlottesville. Likely some did, but the majority of people just started caring.

Just now, JB33 said:

Oh please. This is just a new fad. I didn't see anybody complaining about statues and Gone With the Wind before Charlottesville.

You are aware that Charlottesville happened in the first place because a statue was being removed, right?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Oh please. This is just a new fad. I didn't see anybody complaining about statues and Gone With the Wind before Charlottesville. Likely some did, but the majority of people just started caring.

You must live in a bubble.

There have been plenty of efforts to remove confederate flags and statues from state capitals and public parks.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, cookie said:

You are aware that Charlottesville happened in the first place because a statue was being removed, right?

Yes, and since then we've seen a bunch of people suddenly start caring. It's a fad. Most of these people probably never gave a shit before.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

You must live in a bubble.

There have been plenty of efforts to remove confederate flags and statues from state capitals and public parks.

Okay, but what I'm really getting at is this silly domino effect, like now some people don't want Gone With the Wind to be screened at a theatre. When does it end?

15 minutes ago, JB33 said:

First off, people have been complaining about Gone With the Wind and confederate monuments for ages. Secondly, so what if more people just now started caring about this? I don't really know how I feel about this kind of shit, but I do know that "People didn't care before, why should they now?" is not a sound argument. 

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 11

If you put a statue of Hitler in the middle of Berlin, people would be outraged. 

Why? Because Hitler was wrong and shouldn't be celebrated.

Neither should a military who killed hundred of thousands of soldiers who tried to preserve the United States and discontinue slavery.

You want people to know about history? There are these things called schools, text books, museums, documentaries, etc.

You can put Stalin, Hitler, Mao, and even pro-slavery leaders in those places, where they belong.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

There has been a protest planned to change street names in my hometown that's expected to draw thousands for months now, and that's in liberal South Florida. It's certainly a hotpoint across the whole south.  This has been an issue for years. What an ignorant thing to say.