Incarnadine

Theater bans Gone With The Wind for being "Insensitive"

Damn, I guess I need to watch Gone With the Wind again. I didn't realize being "Insensitive" was illegal now. 

What a world of babies this generation has created, rather then surf the internet looking for things to offend you, why don't you actually do something that will really help the world, like join the red cross, volunteer at a soup kitchen, travel to third world countries and help the starving kids around the world.. hug your grandma.. bake cookies.. hang out with your real friends. 

Yeah a girl was ran over for oppossing neoconfederates. Why not celebrate the confederacy in a mostly black area?

If the theater cancels out of consideration for those who have valid reasons to oppose a flag that endorses the brutal enslavement of their people then it's a violation of the bill of rights somehow.

And who cries about hundreds of years of slavery, segregation and dehumanization?

Get over it.

Now a 5 year war that was justifiably lost 150 years ago? Never forget. 

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Only a delusional person would think watching Gone with the Wind means your a neo-nazi or alt-right fanatic ^^^ 

GWTW is not the only controversial film made you know, people can view such material objectively and I highly doubt the Alt right sit down together for 3.5 hours watching GWTW every month as some sort of ritual or something....

I don't watch and enjoy Downton Abbey thinking, I wish for the days of the upper classes to rule again?

As I said the theater banning the film is fine, but suggest watching GWTW makes you support the far right supporter is absurd...

Next your going to tell me watching Gettysburg with Martin Sheen is insulting rather than a movie about Gettysburg. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

31 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So you're saying Gone with the Wind isn't pro-confederate?

I'm not advocating censorship but a theater agreeing to play other movies instead isn't censorship anymore than a theater a deciding not to show Detriot in Salt Lake City due to lack of demand and controversy.

Depend of the reasons, lack of demand is obviously not censorship (and also not something you usually announce or talk about, there is 50k movies they could play and do not for lack of demands).

Playing something else, because of people complaining on your public platform and fearing some PR issues, that is different than lack of demand too.

• Like 1

A business avoiding controversy is not censorship either. 

Businesses keeping their consumers happy is just a free market concept. 

Barbie can't sell a dominatrix slave Barbie because it would piss of their customers. If businesses didn't care what customers wanted then capitalism wouldn't work.

33 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

A business avoiding controversy is not censorship either. 

It is a form of self-censorship yes.

And it is different than lack of demand, it is not about customer not wanting to see a movie it is about customer that do not want other people watching a movie they do not like.

33 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Barbie can't sell a dominatrix slave Barbie because it would piss of their customers. If businesses didn't care what customers wanted then capitalism wouldn't work.

That is the mechanism yes, no one is debating is it bad for business to create controversy and if they are not better financially to censure themselve, that is the strength of the control of some customers not just not watching some stuff, but wanting to control what other customer cannot watch that is disturbing. Boycotting all the offers of that platform, inviting others to do the same is different than just silently just watching the movies you want to watch and create a stronger pressure to the platform self-censorship than simple offer/demands capitalist basic mechanism.

We are not talking about theaters not showing movie that do not sell tickets here.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

No person a 100 years later is ever considered a good person. There is not one person who lived in the past who would be considered  morally correct. The world changes and always will. What we considered a "good" person in the 50's is a cock sucking racist asshole today. The nicest person from 1890 wold be fucking crucified today if he was alive with the same opinions. We will all be old assholes like Tele in 50 years.

Fuck in the 90's I could not like gays and still be considered a morally correct/awesome/nice person. Not today. Shit changes.

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Yeah a girl was ran over for oppossing neoconfederates. Why not celebrate the confederacy in a mostly black area?

If the theater cancels out of consideration for those who have valid reasons to oppose a flag that endorses the brutal enslavement of their people then it's a violation of the bill of rights somehow.

And who cries about hundreds of years of slavery, segregation and dehumanization?

Get over it.

Now a 5 year war that was justifiably lost 150 years ago? Never forget. 

I'm not saying to forget. The Point is GWTG is a film that reflects the values of people of that time and it is a culturally important film and you can't expect it to have the same values of a film released today. Let the theater play what they want, but trying to hide the film is trying to hide a part of history imo. And It's been a long time since I've seen it. but I don't remember the character of Scarlett O'hara to exactly be a role model in that film. I'm not even a very big fan of the movie tbh.

• Like 1

There's a long list of movies I feel people should see for various reasons.

But if a local community and local theater decide it's a bad time to screen a movie, I have to respect their wishes.

It's not self-censorship (whatever that means). It's just "we don't think this community will be receptive so we'll focus on some other classic film".

• Like 1

On 24/09/2017 at 1:40 AM, grey ghost said:

There's a long list of movies I feel people should see for various reasons.

But if a local community and local theater decide it's a bad time to screen a movie, I have to respect their wishes.

It's not self-censorship (whatever that means). It's just "we don't think this community will be receptive so we'll focus on some other classic film".

I doubt they screen Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph Of The Will or Gibson's Passion Of The Christ regularly in the jewish community theaters just because of "historical value" and "free speech"..

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

I doubt they screen Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph Of The Will or Gibson's Passion Of The Christ regularly in the jewish community theaters just because of "historical value"...

Yeah playing a pro-confederate film in a mostly black area during the Trump era is something only an alt right troll would do, not any reasonable person.

• Like 1

Does the Triumph of the Will comparison hold any water? Haven't seen GWTW, but it doesn't seem right to me that actual Nazi propaganda is on the same level as a movie that most wouldn't agree that it celebrates racism, or least, is maliciously racist.

• Like 1

Thing with Gone with the Wind is that it might think it's going for an endorsement of the Old South, but then there's the fact that its main characters are flawed and stupid and never learn a damn thing... which, incidentally, would seem like it sums up the actual mentality of the Old South and its subsequent apologists better than anything else. In the end what you see is far more important than what was intended, and you don't exactly have to see it as a swoon-worthy romantic story.

• Like 1