Incarnadine

Theater bans Gone With The Wind for being "Insensitive"

The movie was insensitive and glorified the CSA. I'm not too upset by this.

Just now, tribefan695 said:

Try to justify this all you want but it veers way too close to "book banning" from my pov. 

If the govt banned and destroyed all copies of this film, then this analogy would be fine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Whatever. I just hate faux outrage, which is what I perceive a lot of this to be. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I'll also stick to the shit in my own country (First prime minister's name being removed from schools) since, admittedly, I'm not as familiar with issues surrounding the US and their confederate history. 

Edited by JB33

1 minute ago, franfar said:

The movie was insensitive and glorified the CSA. I'm not too upset by this.

If the govt banned and destroyed all copies of this film, then this analogy would be fine.

I'm not convinced that isn't the road people ultimately want to go with Confederacy related history.

Statues and confederate flags should all be moved to museums and have no place in public or in parks, universities, etc..., but banning GWTW from theaters? Doesn't seem so right to me.

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 12

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

Try to justify this all you want but it veers way too close to "book banning" from my pov. 

My mom works for the library, and her department refuses to lend out shit like Mein Kampf and Protocols of the Elders of Zion without a clear written reason from a school or historical society. Rightfully so, too. They aren't just words when they're open celebrations of an ideology that led to the murder of millions. We have to be able to contextualize a difference between book burnings of "degenerate Jewish authors" and not having people wildly whooping in applause in celebration of the Confederacy.. They aren't the same. This zero-sum Reddit ideology regarding free speech gotta go. It's a debate with nuance. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I do get whiffs of that when this kind of stuff happens, but it's not like the federal government is trying to ban it out of existence, it's just one theater deciding they're not going to show the movie. If anything I'd expect this administration to start making it mandatory viewing in every school in the country before they started banning it. 

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Whatever. I just hate faux outrage, which is what I perceive a lot of this to be. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I'll also stick to the shit in my own country (First prime minister's name being removed from schools) since, admittedly, I'm not as familiar with issues surrounding the US and their confederate history. 

Here's what you need to know: they put millions of black people on boats, shipped them to America, and kept them in chains as slaves for hundreds of years before proceeding to start an unbelivably deadly war to keep those slaves. That's all the context you need. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's a private business so the theater can do what it wants.  But I want all movies like this, Birth of A Nation and Song of the South to be out there and available.  Let's talk about them, look at them in the context of their times. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Okay, but what I'm really getting at is this silly domino effect, like now some people don't want Gone With the Wind to be screened at a theatre. When does it end?

Where theater owner make it stop (as long as it is purely non violent / non intrusive demand and boycott campaign,  and not like the Interview, Last Temptation of the Christ, Dogma, etc... with death threats or other threats), maybe harder now that they are chain that do not care much but they have a role to stand-up.

That in part were the balance come from, that and show of supports from people that want to support free artistic speech and distribution.

That balancing should create some resistance to the domino effects but it is a good question and good fear to have, movies with North Korea in development were all canceled, Putin was removed from movies, once it is normalized to not make/distribute movies for their content it can be hard to control where does it end. Will King-Kong (1933) stop to be shown one day ? Indiana Jones, etc...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

My mom works for the library, and her department refuses to lend out shit like Mein Kampf and Protocols of the Elders of Zion without a clear written reason from a school or historical society. Rightfully so, too. They aren't just words when they're open celebrations of an ideology that led to the murder of millions. We have to be able to contextualize a difference between book burnings of "degenerate Jewish authors" and not having people wildly whooping in applause in celebration of the Confederacy.. They aren't the same. This zero-sum Reddit ideology regarding free speech gotta go. It's a debate with nuance. 

This is scary, scary stuff. And the future, unfortunately. 

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

That depends, is it a government decision to shut down the screening or a private citizen(s).

If you own a bookstore you don't have to sell a book celebrating Stalin, do you?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm not convinced that isn't the road people ultimately want to go with Confederacy related history.

Yeah again... you realize who's in office right? I don't think you have to worry about confederate history going anywhere, lol 

Also, man the free speech/white identity crowd is such a bunch of "triggered snowflakes:. Acting like one little ass theater banning some four hour long Clark Gable romance is the same as actual oppression. Give me a fucking break.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I have no doubt in my mind that they are reprehensible works that have led to ideologies which have killed millions of people. However, why not do the exact same when it comes with the Old Testament, New Testament, Bible, and the Quran? You could easily argue that all of those have horrendous messages that glorify the exclusivity and superiority of their own religion. 

Hm?

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Here's what you need to know: they put millions of black people on boats, shipped them to America, and kept them in chains as slaves for hundreds of years before proceeding to start an unbelivably deadly war to keep those slaves. That's all the context you need. 

I am well aware. I was talking about modern issues of taking down statues and such. Perhaps there have been more movements going further back than I realized.

Lol I knew somebody would be making a topic about this. I think it's on the wrong board though.

Anyway, about damn time. GWTW has been one of the biggest culprits of creating nostalgia for a false Edenic era regarding a magically romantic South where "coloreds knew their place". As Cmasterclay and grey ghost said, no need to ban it from all public showings, but keep it for American studies sessions, theatrical showings for American History festivals, and the home video should come with expert commentary from socio-political historians (though is there GWTW HV already available with such tracks?). It should never be separated from context.    

• Like 1