grim22

Uncle Drew | June 29 2018 | Lionsgate | Kyrie Irving, Shaq, Reggie Miller, Nate Robinson & Chris Webber

I was surprised with how much I enjoyed the film to be honest.  It has been legend (or a known fact, I suppose) that NBA players can’t act to save their life. Shaq in “Kazaam” and Michael Jordan in “Space Jam” are prime examples of that. In a surprising turn of events, Kyrie Irving has finally broken that curse for his performance carries the movie. It’s not just the unrecognizable face that is a factor to his performance, but his performance itself. Not only is he unrecognizable by his makeup but his delivery is on point, his comedic timing is amazing, his old man voice is convincing as hell. Even when he has to be dramatic, Irving delivers. He’s been playing Uncle Drew for 5 years now so he knows this character like the back of his hands. You often forget that Irving is under all of that makeup until he shows off his basketball skills.

Hell, even Shaq gives a good performance and IT’S SHAQ! The film gets some great mileage out of him and provides a good character arc between him and Drew. Irving has great chemistry with the rest of his cast. Performance-wise, “Uncle Drew” might be the only movie where NBA stars can deliver good performances. 

FULL REVIEW: https://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//uncle-drew-review

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjones1325 said:

I was surprised with how much I enjoyed the film to be honest.  It has been legend (or a known fact, I suppose) that NBA players can’t act to save their life. Shaq in “Kazaam” and Michael Jordan in “Space Jam” are prime examples of that. In a surprising turn of events, Kyrie Irving has finally broken that curse for his performance carries the movie. It’s not just the unrecognizable face that is a factor to his performance, but his performance itself. Not only is he unrecognizable by his makeup but his delivery is on point, his comedic timing is amazing, his old man voice is convincing as hell. Even when he has to be dramatic, Irving delivers. He’s been playing Uncle Drew for 5 years now so he knows this character like the back of his hands. You often forget that Irving is under all of that makeup until he shows off his basketball skills.

Hell, even Shaq gives a good performance and IT’S SHAQ! The film gets some great mileage out of him and provides a good character arc between him and Drew. Irving has great chemistry with the rest of his cast. Performance-wise, “Uncle Drew” might be the only movie where NBA stars can deliver good performances. 

FULL REVIEW: https://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//uncle-drew-review

I agree Kyrie’s acting was good. However, there have been some good acting performances from NBA players before. Lebron was good in Trainwreck and Ray Allen was good in He Got Game. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

Pretty good reviews from critics. A 17 million opening weekend and an A Cinamascore. I would say this movie was severely underestimated.

@IronJimbo

You still sure that Akita will beat this thing?

You still have that confidence? 

On 4/22/2018 at 9:36 PM, CoolEric258 said:

DbbfQA6UwAA_i8A.jpg

From Cinemacon

Regal is now having a competition where you can win this...I wonder how many there are.

Also I had no idea what commercial this was based off of when I saw it.