Spidey Freak

Wed Numbers: AC - 740K Dunkirk - 505K WW - 180K

24 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It depends on what type of hold can Wind River pull. I am thinking on an under 10% increase. That is enough to keep it over Leap, IMO, but Wind River might also decrease a bit.

I have WR in the high-5Ms while Leap at 3.6M. Leap won't have a minuscule drop if it follows Kubo and Pete from last year

Edited by WrathOfHan

45 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Sony releases:

> NO CHANGE
22 20 All Saints Sony / Columbia 846 - - - - - -

> DECLINING

10 7 The Emoji Movie Sony / Columbia 2,108 -266 -11.2% - - - - 6
11 10 Spider-Man: Homecoming Sony / Columbia 2,036 -86 -4.1% - - - - 9
12 8 The Dark Tower Sony / Columbia 1,820 -518 -22.2% - - - - 5

Ouch!  No expansion for All Saints.  It could have expanded this week and next week and maybe approached 10M on a 1.6M OW.  Now its DOA

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I have WR in the high-5Ms while Leap at 3.6M. Leap won't have a minuscule drop if it follows Kubo and Pete from last year

Didn't those drop ~14-19% on LD weekend? The problem is that neither opened on the previous weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diana Prince said:

More than likely Homecoming will be in the top ten for its 9th consecutive week. That is a heck of an accomplishment. But I wonder whether those who think that WW would have made ~360 with more competition think that Homecoming would have made ~290 with more competition? Personally, I think the point is futile. Just curious though. I am happy that the CBM saved the summer. I cannot imagine the summer box office without Guardians 2, WW and Spidey. They are worth celebrating for what they actually accomplished rather than lamenting or over analyzing what ifs. Alas, this is a box office site, however, so I guess that's what we're supposed to do. Cheers! 

Let's make an exercise of what ifs here, just in pure fun because it's literally impossible to gauge up something like that. I think that if Wonder Woman had Homecoming's date and Homecoming had Wonder Woman's, it'd eat something like $10m-$20m from Wonder Woman. It'd still be a freaking monster, but it'd be around $380m-$390m by the end of its run. Now Homecoming, it'd get a jump of probably $20m-$30m, so basically $350m-$360m. At the end of the day,Wonder Woman would come out on top no matter what, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iJackSparrow said:

Let's make an exercise of what ifs here, just in pure fun because it's literally impossible to gauge up something like that. I think that if Wonder Woman had Homecoming's date and Homecoming had Wonder Woman's, it'd eat something like $10m-$20m from Wonder Woman. It'd still be a freaking monster, but it'd be around $380m-$390m by the end of its run. Now Homecoming, it'd get a jump of probably $20m-$30m, so basically $350m-$360m. At the end of the day,Wonder Woman would come out on top no matter what, in my opinion. 

I don't know about that, ijack. I know that we're being hypothetical, but the releases after Spider-Man were pretty weak for the most part. I know almost everyone lauds Dunkirk, but it was a snooze fest for me. I REALLY didn't like it, but I respect that it was a huge hit. However, its demo isn't the same as Spidey's. IMO, Homecoming was the best release in July and WW was the best release in June. You'll recall that Guardians was still in its 4th week when WW was released. Then, she faced the prospect of Transformers, DM3 and Cars. As it turns out, WW affected them more than they affected her. Spidey is a kid friendly film. DM3 and Cars may have had a greater impact on it than they did on WW. Spidey benefited from its release because there was no real competition for its demo. WW definitely appealed to young children too, but a lot of older folks/seniors supported it. It is fun to speculate, but we will never know. 

Let's play this hypothetical, if Spider-Man Homecoming stuck to its July 28th release date, Dunkirk would have made a fair bit less, and Spider-Man could have made a lot more with a completely empty August.

WB is either a genius for getting everybody to clear out or extremely lucky

Edited by MrPink

11 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Let's play this hypothetical, if Spider-Man Homecoming stuck to its July 28th release date, Dunkirk would have made a fair bit less, and Spider-Man could have made a lot more with a completely empty August.

Behold Nolan. His infinite wisdom.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrPink said:

No. It could have made 5-10M more I guess, but not a lot more.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

Wouldn't an empty August and a slightly underperforming latter half of July have aided WW's leggy run even more? If it had HC's date, I think it would have reached 400M faster in about 7-8 weeks. I don't know if its post 8 weeks' legs would have been as sturdy but I see it making 400M+ regardless. It would have taken a hit from HC OS though.  

51 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Wouldn't an empty August and a slightly underperforming latter half of July have aided WW's leggy run even more? If it had HC's date, I think it would have reached 400M faster in about 7-8 weeks. I don't know if its post 8 weeks' legs would have been as sturdy but I see it making 400M+ regardless. It would have taken a hit from HC OS though.  

Here's what I think: It'd gross at the very least $30 to 40m more than Homecoming, yes, regardless of release date. But Apes and Dunkirk are just more stronger films than what Wonder Woman faced right out of the gate. That's my reading of these scenarios, but these hypoteticals are pointless.  I do think it's possible that it'd eventually cross $400m tho, but it'd take longer. I could see a scenario where Homecoming would be between $340m-360m and Wonder Woman between $380m-$400m. Wonder Woman would still be THE movie phenomenon of the year, and Homecoming would still be very well received, but nothing like what Wonder Woman would do on any of the dates. 

Edited by iJackSparrow

8 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Here's what I think: It'd gross at the very least $30 to 40m more than Homecoming, yes, regardless of release date. But Apes and Dunkirk are just more stronger films than what Wonder Woman faced right out of the gate. That's my reading of these scenarios, but these hypoteticals are pointless. 

I actually see Apes getting hurt much worse if WW had preceded it by just a weekend instead of HC.

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

I actually see Apes getting hurt much worse if WW had preceded it by just a weekend instead of HC.

Not sure if I agree that Apes would get hurt more or less. I think it'd be very much the same. It's not about Apes being a better film or not than either Homecoming or Wonder Woman, the film is way too niche. I think Wonder Woman would be hurt similarly to Homecoming from the Apes/Dunkirk combo, but recover even better than Homecoming. 

Neither Dunkirk nor Apes 3 would have had any negative effect on Wonder Woman. If anything, the way WW totally monopolized the pop culture landscape/conversation would have killed those films, imo.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Neither Dunkirk nor Apes 3 would have had any negative effect on Wonder Woman. If anything, the way WW totally monopolized the pop culture landscape/conversation would have killed those films, imo.

It's just a for fun what if exercise. Like, what if The Avengers was released in the TDKR release date instead. Hypoteticals. Pointless geek exercise running scenarios, haha. 

37 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Apes 3 apparently needed no help to kill itself. Dunkirk and WW are both WB so... my guess is that those would always be separated by a few weeks.