That One Girl

It: Chapter Two | September 6, 2019 | 11th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

Alright I don't want to post any spoilers so I'll try to just keep it simple...

First off, the film FLIES by with the run time.  I never found myself bored or even thinking of how far along we were, and anytime I'm not deconstructing a film in the moment I always feel it's a small win.

The first act is pretty messy.  Pacing problems, too much thread tying to the childhood storylines that feels unnecessary and repetitive.  But about an hour in it really starts to hit its stride and the last 30-45 minutes is really, really good.  Definitely sticks the landing in terms of bridging the two parts and giving a satisfying conclusion.

There is some weird CGI choices throughout the film, much moreso than the first and I found the technology they used to make the kids appear the same age as the first film really distracting at times.  Overall much less scary than the first film (nothing in this comes close to the sense of dread in say the garage film from the first) but it does have some really good jump moments.  On the same hand it's also much funnier than the first (at times maybe too funny) and much, much more dramatic (in a good way).  Bill Hader really is the king of the film.  There are one are two storylines that are genuinely bizarre, I haven't read the book and I'd be interested to know if they read that way plot wise.  

I'm betting this winds up in the low to mid 60's range on RT.

Solid and worth seeing but for me Part 1 is damn near the gold standard.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

Alright I don't want to post any spoilers so I'll try to just keep it simple...

First off, the film FLIES by with the run time.  I never found myself bored or even thinking of how far along we were, and anytime I'm not deconstructing a film in the moment I always feel it's a small win.

The first act is pretty messy.  Pacing problems, too much thread tying to the childhood storylines that feels unnecessary and repetitive.  But about an hour in it really starts to hit its stride and the last 30-45 minutes is really, really good.  Definitely sticks the landing in terms of bridging the two parts and giving a satisfying conclusion.

There is some weird CGI choices throughout the film, much moreso than the first and I found the technology they used to make the kids appear the same age as the first film really distracting at times.  Overall much less scary than the first film (nothing in this comes close to the sense of dread in say the garage film from the first) but it does have some really good jump moments.  On the same hand it's also much funnier than the first (at times maybe too funny) and much, much more dramatic (in a good way).  Bill Hader really is the king of the film.  There are one are two storylines that are genuinely bizarre, I haven't read the book and I'd be interested to know if they read that way plot wise.  

I'm betting this winds up in the low to mid 60's range on RT.

Solid and worth seeing but for me Part 1 is damn near the gold standard.

Too me this sounds like 

IT 1 is like get out 

IT 2 is like US 

people expecting some crazy ass scary movie are gonna be disappointed but ones want thrill in story shall find it here 

9 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Too me this sounds like 

IT 1 is like get out 

IT 2 is like US 

people expecting some crazy ass scary movie are gonna be disappointed but ones want thrill in story shall find it here 

yeah having seen both of those I dont think the divide is THAT large, this just tries more things than the first did and some works and some doesn't.  

• Like 1

The structure from the novel, where the adults don't remember events, is frustrating in this - in the book the adults and kids cross-cut, so the adults remembering would naturally spoil the kids bits. But here, we've seen everything, and so much of the movie (especially that choppy choppy choppy first hour) is made up of "I don't remember ... wait, I kinda remember..." bits.

Ryne is right about the distracting CG used to de-age the kids - Finn Wolfhard has a CGI sheen through the whole movie. It hits Eddie and Ben the most after that, but the effect is at its worst in their first full new scene.

Edited by ViewerAnon
  • Like 1

The book is long, and the adult bit is structured in the book to be complemented by the kid bit (like Viewer said).

Here the kid stuff was separated out and made into part one, so it will always be difficult to make part 2 coherent as part 1, since the kids did not need to be reminded of anything, things just happened.

From the reactions, part 2 seems to try to fill in the void by more scares and if people enjoy horror, just decent scares and love part 1, i think this should do well.