That One Girl

It: Chapter Two | September 6, 2019 | 11th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

12 hours ago, RyneOh1040 said:

The first act is pretty messy.  Pacing problems, too much thread tying to the childhood storylines that feels unnecessary and repetitive.  But about an hour in it really starts to hit its stride and the last 30-45 minutes is really, really good.  Definitely sticks the landing in terms of bridging the two parts and giving a satisfying conclusion.

So.... like Endgame ... ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I really don't think these reactions are bad. they are realistic which is rate for early screenings. usually we get overblown reactions and then watch RT score plummet with each new review. 

They seem a lot too similar to Endgame to me if you remove its decade old franchise glasses

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Yep. 

Also, I'm much more "stick the landing" guy than "great movie, ending sucks" one. To me, ending is a deal breaker (same goes for TV shows). And IT2 ending is praised across the board even by those who had problems with act 1 or so.

same here, I think its why I can know I liked it is because clearly they knew were they were heading which always makes the difference.  Its weird though, while I found the first hour cluttered and messy I dont think it necessarily needed to be shorter there's just not a lot of vision.  there's still needed exposition in those parts they just feel a bit aimless as a whole, if that makes sense.  

As for the gore I don't remember thinking it's drastically gorier than the first but looking back there was quite a bit.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RyneOh1040 said:

same here, I think its why I can know I liked it is because clearly they knew were they were heading which always makes the difference.  Its weird though, while I found the first hour cluttered and messy I dont think it necessarily needed to be shorter there's just not a lot of vision.  there's still needed exposition in those parts they just feel a bit aimless as a whole, if that makes sense.  

As for the gore I don't remember thinking it's drastically gorier than the first but looking back there was quite a bit.  

Thank you for your input! Really appreciated! I understand exactly what you're saying. I feel the same about most long movies, that they should be shorter but when I have to think about what to remove I can't. I understand it has to be there even if it isn't as cinematic as the rest.

I think some of  you are getting carried away.  The reviews have been fantastic for the most part.  There's always going to be some dissenters but that's par for the course.  

The first movie was definitely better but I still enjoyed this one despite the all over the place first act and shoddy CGI. It tries to balance humor and dramatic moments which it does well most of the time, and as others have said, Hader is king (Skarsgard also doing work), plus the pacing was surprisingly quick. The score was pretty good as well and definitely fits the mood. 

It follows the book fairly well plot wise.  By the third act the film really finds its footing and ties up the two movies neatly. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, baumer said:

I think some of  you are getting carried away.  The reviews have been fantastic for the most part.  There's always going to be some dissenters but that's par for the course.  

Come on Baumer you know there can be no middle ground on reviews

• Like 1
  • Haha 1