grim22

Labor Day Weekend Thread: The Death of Box Office | Posting or Discussing Any Weekend Numbers = Banned | Pokémon or True Detective gifs Are Allowed

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Who seriously thought it was a good idea to give Close Encounters of the Third Kind a rerelease?! Seriously?!

That's a very old movie with not much interest.

Rereleases tend to flop nowadays with how easily it is to pirate old movies.

Actually, I wish studios would do more re-releases, and not just this puny 600-800 theater shit. This is the perfect time to roll out some famous classics from the last 30 years. 

• Like 13

Encounters rerelease looks like its going to be a spectuacar flop, so I don't know why they bothered.

It wasn't necessary to do it before releasing it on Bluray.

But this is about the bad idea of rereleases in general. Disney didn't even bother reporting what Lion King rerelease did a few weeks ago, so it must have been really low.

• Astonished 1

Just now, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Actually, I wish studios would do more re-releases, and not just this puny 600-800 theater shit. This is the perfect time to roll out some famous classics from the last 30 years. 

Absolutely. There are loads of film I'd love to see on the big-screen. More re-releases please. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Encounters rerelease looks like its going to be a spectuacar flop, so I don't know why they bothered.

It wasn't necessary to do it before releasing it on Bluray.

But this is about the bad idea of rereleases in general. Disney didn't even bother reporting what Lion King rerelease did a few weeks ago, so it must have been really low.

There's very little cost to re-release movies, especially since the cleanup/restoration falls into the HV category. It's all gravy.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Would you be depressed to find out how little they made?

600-800 theaters sounds like the right amount of theaters for re-releases.

Absolutely. There are loads of film I'd love to see on the big-screen. More re-releases please.

I'm not totally against rereleases in general, saw the Lion King rerelease years ago and Jurassic Park reelease.

However, you rerelease pop culture phenomenons.

Close Encounters seems very low on the list of popular movies and of public awareness.

1 minute ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

There's very little cost to re-release movies, especially since the cleanup/restoration falls into the HV category. It's all gravy.

Gone with the Wind's recent restoration was incredible. It's the sort of film that need to be on the big screen

• Like 1

For anyone that cares (just kidding, nobody does!), Tulip Fever has begun with 5 Rottens on RT (not including 2 more Rottens from Variety and Hollywood Reporter that haven't been counted). Now Alicia Vikander can finally go about pretending this movie doesn't even exist.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

"Mommy! I want to see Close Encounters of the Third Kind directed by critically acclaimed director Steven Spielberg!" said no kid over.

"I want to see Tulip Fever starring Academy Award winners Alicia Vikander and Christoph Waltz!", said (almost) no ONE ever. Maybe a small percent of the Academy judges.

Also, continuing the conversation: "You don't wanna see Tulip Fever, mommy? Well, we've also got.... huh, Hitman's Bodyguard again? Annabelle: Creation agai-oh sorry, I can't watch scary stuff cause I'll poopoo in my pants. Wait, you wanna see Inhumans? HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA"

In another words, there's NOTHING out there. N-O-T-H-I-N-G. Mayweather vs. McGregor, which was only in theaters for a day and a half, made it to the top 10 of last weekend.... and this weekend will be even lower and more miserable than the last as a whole. While you sit there and complain like a moron about how Sony was an idiot for re-releasing CEOTTK, anybody with an ounce of logic and good sense will realize that it's actually the perfect opportunity for them to re-release a classic, and even moreso with a milestone like its 40th anniversary behind it, when there's literally NOOOOOOTHING out there for anybody else. It can be nostalgic for old fans and valuable for people who had never seen it before. Of course Close Encounters is not Star Wars or Back To The Future, but it's still an influential classic and deserving of a return to theaters. It's like saying that 2001: A Space Odyssey doesn't deserve a re-release whenever it hits an important milestone. C'mon now, son.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

For anyone that cares (just kidding, nobody does!), Tulip Fever has begun with 5 Rottens on RT (not including 2 more Rottens from Variety and Hollywood Reporter that haven't been counted). Now Alicia Vikander can finally go about pretending this movie doesn't even exist.

Has she been in anything decent since the pulled her (fraud) oscar.....

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Close Encounters seems very low on the list of popular movies and of public awareness.

Even if this was true (which it isn't), so what, we should just let that awareness get lower and lower, right? If you are not a recent pop culture phenomenon with kid appeal, tough luck, no big screen for you again? Fuck that. Classics need to be shown and studios need to do a better job of promoting it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Has she been in anything decent since the pulled her (fraud) oscar.....

I know she has two movies premiering TIFF this month but other than this (which was shot before The Danish Girl!) and Jason Bourne, she's been in nada. Fingers crossed that Tomb Raider bucks the odds and is a decent hit.

Edit: forgot about The Light Between Oceans heh.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2