grim22

Labor Day Weekend Thread: The Death of Box Office | Posting or Discussing Any Weekend Numbers = Banned | Pokémon or True Detective gifs Are Allowed

57 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

It still irks me that movie studios are not taking advange of the Labor Day holiday.

Movies CAN be succesful on this particular date. Don't Breathe is proof of that. It's a holiday just like President's Day or MLK or Thanksgiving weekend is. But studios keep treating it like a dumping ground. Shame.

I think IT should have been released on Labor Day weekend. Would have been an even more impressive opening than we're going to see in a few days.

59 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Movie studios in general would be better if they released more bigger films in August / early September, especially Labor Day, instead of treating that particular month as a dumping ground basically. 

Studios have to dump their crappy films somewhere. August has proven it can hold big hits but I think this year, studios moved all their big films like Alien and Pitch Perfect 3 but didn't replace them with anything else. Next year already looks more promising and I imagine we'll have a superhero film for August 2019

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Studios have to dump their crappy films somewhere. August has proven it can hold big hits but I think this year, studios moved all their big films like Alien and Pitch Perfect 3 but didn't replace them with anything else. Next year already looks more promising and I imagine we'll have a superhero film for August 2019

Yeah, but I think they'd be better served by putting their films in specific spots, since cramming them all together tends to cause some films to flop.

• Like 1

thb was the smartest release. it also needed to be well received. it's gonna do a great 3.5-3.7x in the end (75-80 dom).

i think only wondr (4x), dunkirk (3.75x+ at 190 dom) and girls tirp (3.71-3.75x at 116-117 dom) will have done better.

it could beat dm3 (3.65x assuming 264-265 dom) to have the 4th best legs of the summer for 75+ grossers.

So The Hitman's Bodyguard 3-day weekend is up from last weekend, nice!

While the overall box office gross is still low, I was really expecting much worst (like the #1 movie 6-7M only) so the past weekend was a pleasant surprise with several movies holding well/increasing

Edited by forg
  • Like 1