grim22

Labor Day Weekend Thread: The Death of Box Office | Posting or Discussing Any Weekend Numbers = Banned | Pokémon or True Detective gifs Are Allowed

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Gurnee Mills is advertising the shit out of Ninjago. I was there today for fun and I've seen 6 ads walking throughout the mall.

I wouldn't be surprised if that weekend turns out to be a photo finish between Kingsman and Ninjago. The latter's gonna be helped by the completely empty marketplace by the time it opens considering it will have been almost two months since the last major animated movie opened, and legs should be solid since there's nothing to challenge it for the next two months either (My Little Pony is gonna appeal to little girls and nobody else).

• Like 2

For people like me, people who just love to see the classics on the big screen, I would love to see classic films get released periodically. Up until three or four years ago I had never seen Jaws on the big screen. When I saw that for the first time it was pure ecstasy LOL. I've seen Close Encounters of the Third Kind plenty of times but I will definitely make sure I get to see it on the big screen once again.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I'm not totally against rereleases in general, saw the Lion King rerelease years ago and Jurassic Park reelease.

However, you rerelease pop culture phenomenons.

Close Encounters seems very low on the list of popular movies and of public awareness.

I disagree with this statement 100%. There are a Litany of films I would love to see on the big screen again. Anything from great comedies like summer school or The Secret of My Success or Porky's and then classic horror films like Halloween or Friday the 13th or even lesser things such as The Hills Have Eyes or Last House on the Left. Just because you have no interest in the movies that are being released doesn't mean there aren't people out there who would like to see them.

I'd love to see classics...but not at the primetime evening movie cost.

If they touted the re-releases and released them at original release ticket prices (like $2.25 for Close Encounters)...they'd sell out like hotcakes...but who wants to pay $75 on a Friday night for a family of 4 to see a movie they can download from Netflix or Amazon for free...

These re-releases should be like the family summer movie program Regal runs...maybe more than $1/movie, but nothing exceeding $5...as someone pointed out, it costs almost nothing to release them, so they don't need to gouge patrons on the movie ticket cost...

As long as they charge current rates, they are gonna fail, except for the Moviepass patrons to find another movie to see for the month...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, That Tulip Guy said:

Is Tulip Fever doing as well as one would expect?  Let's keep our fingers crossed for 40M OD!

I checked a nearby theater with recliner chairs two hours ago and it had sold 20 seats for the first show. Which is about 20 more than I expected.

47 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

However, you rerelease pop culture phenomenons.

Right now in the multiplex closest to my job

Close encounter is playing, T2 and....... Diary of a whimpy kid/Boss Baby

Tomorrow they play a power rangers movie & Sound of Music, Sunday they play captain underpants and live stream a Peter Pan theater play.

With what is in theater right now, it is hard to imagine Close Encounter has not a big enough phenomenons for 900 theaters, it will not even be the smallest box office for a nearly 1000 theater movie this weekend and did cost nothing to do (unlike the millions spent on the 3D of T2)

We have a company/distributor here that started organizing event screenings (one-and-done, not actual re-releases, but still) of classic movies in major cities a while ago. So over the past year I got to see The Thing, The Fly, Seven, Fight Club, LOTR Extended Editions, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas, Cabaret, the Dollars trilogy, Alien, Ivan the Terrible, Raiders, Blowup all on the big screen. These were all some of the best cinema experiences I've ever had and probably will ever have. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I checked a nearby theater with recliner chairs two hours ago and it had sold 20 seats for the first show. Which is about 20 more than I expected.

The Weinstein erotic thriller marketing paid off

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

American Assassin will be in 2,900 theaters and mother! in 2,800

Are those theater count prediction made by people just guessing like they do for the box office, or their is more to that to those numbers ?

• Like 1