WrathOfHan

Lady Bird | Wide on November 24 | Now at 99% on RT #CRUMBLING

18 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Most art house movies seem to have flopped lately, nothing is really finding an audience it seems.

Hope Sirsha won't suffer the same fate.

The whole cinema is dying, unless your movie is a massive (and fresh) blockbuster, people will call it a “Netflix release” and wait for the release in streamings services. 

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael
  • Like 2

I live in Sacramento, so I will certainly give this a whirl.

A guy at work saw them filming this.....

And Greta Gerwig is a local girl.

She might, if this film gets the awards buzz,become Sacramento's most famous show biz celeb right after Jessica Chastain.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

On 28/10/2017 at 12:33 AM, XO21 said:

It's an indie, box office isn't crucial...however a nice run would be helpful

Box office is always crucial.  They don't make movies for free.

• Like 1

I'm surprised this movie isn't more heavily discussed here. LB has steadily been moving up from being a nice little Indie project to looking more and more like a major awards contender and a crowd pleaser. LB seems to be hitting its stride and picking up steam just as prime awards season is getting underway.

In its first weekend in 4 theaters it had a PTA of $91,109 and in its first expansion to 37 theaters it still has a great PTA of $33,766.

Reviews are also stellar with LB at a perfect 100% at RT after 115 reviews so far.

1 hour ago, slambros said:

This could very well be A24's next sleeper hit. (It kind of already is...)

As I said in the weekend thread, I think this will really catch on with audiences beyond the typical arthouse crowd as it expands and appeal to both younger and older viewers leading to fairly big numbers for indie.

8 hours ago, Incarnadine said:

I'm surprised this movie isn't more heavily discussed here. LB has steadily been moving up from being a nice little Indie project to looking more and more like a major awards contender and a crowd pleaser. LB seems to be hitting its stride and picking up steam just as prime awards season is getting underway.

In its first weekend in 4 theaters it had a PTA of $91,109 and in its first expansion to 37 theaters it still has a great PTA of $33,766.

Reviews are also stellar with LB at a perfect 100% at RT after 115 reviews so far.

This site is pretty much dominated by the big budget movies..particulary those with huge "geek" appeal. The only time films like Ladybird move to the top of the discussion list for any lentght of time is when they get award nominations.

This ,despite it's being a box office site, is heavily dominated by the fanboys. Always expect the CBM's and the sci fi epics to dominate the discussion.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:39 AM, filmlover said:

As I said in the weekend thread, I think this will really catch on with audiences beyond the typical arthouse crowd as it expands and appeal to both younger and older viewers leading to fairly big numbers for indie.

It will sure as hell go over big here in Sacrameno, I am telling you.

A lot of movies are shot in Sacramento because it has a "Everytown USA" look to it,but almost none are set here.

Edited by dudalb

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It will sure as hell go over big here in Sacrameno, I am telling you.

A lot of movies are shot in Sacramento because it has a "Everytown USA" look to it,but almost none are set here.

Only times I’ve ever seen Sacramento as a setting is provably an episode of The Mentalist. 

On 11/12/2017 at 12:00 PM, Incarnadine said:

On 11/12/2017 at 8:28 PM, dudalb said:

This site is pretty much dominated by the big budget movies..particulary those with huge "geek" appeal. The only time films like Ladybird move to the top of the discussion list for any lentght of time is when they get award nominations.

This ,despite it's being a box office site, is heavily dominated by the fanboys. Always expect the CBM's and the sci fi epics to dominate the discussion.

Pretty nuch, for movies outside of the BOT sweet spot (franchise tent poles, action, sci-fi, horror, major studio animation, bro-appoved directors), there won't be a ton of discussion in the movie's individual news thread. If a movie "unexpectedly" takes off (i.e. despite BOT's expectations), usually the box office discussion for it ends up in the daily/weekend/club threads.  It's not that people aren't excited about LB in other places...just checked the AwardsWatch forums, between all the Lady Bird news threads there, they are well over 3,000 posts. It all just depends on what the people who "go" to a particular site want to talk about the most.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

5 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Pretty nuch, for movies outside of the BOT sweet spot (franchise tent poles, sci-fi, horror, major studio animation, bro-appoved directors), there won't be a ton of discussion in the movie's individual news thread. If a movie "unexpectedly" takes off, usually the box office discussion for it ends up in the daily/weekend/club numbers threads. It's not that people aren't excited about LB in other places...just checked the AwardsWatch forums, between all the Lady Bird news threads there, they are well over 3,000 posts.

Get Out is a pretty good example. IIRC the thread only had 3-4 pages before it released

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Only times I’ve ever seen Sacramento as a setting is provably an episode of The Mentalist. 

As I stated:Quite a few movies are shot here because Sacramento looks likes everybody's idea of a "typical American medium size city"("American Beauty" was shot here) but almost no movies are set here. That is why the city is so excited about the film.

Edited by dudalb

Lady Bird is still crushing it at RT. Still 100% after 134 reviews, almost to the 139 Get Out  got to before Armond White ruined its perfect rating.

I see LB is expanding to 238 theaters and looking around 1 theater near me has it (on 3 screens). It's not one of my favorite theaters, it's an old style theater that was given a facelift, so no stadium seating, small screens and limited seating (the "big" auditorium is maybe 150 seats), on the plus side, all seating is reserved and the entire theater is 19+ so they do serve adult refreshments.

I'm really looking forward to this, already have my ticket for Justice League on Saturday and LB on Sunday.:D

• Like 2

I'm feeling a minor hit with this one. It has the right amount of critical buzz and audience appeal. Some Oscar films are too depressing or impenetrable for mainstream audiences but this seems like the right blend to catch on.

It's already successful in limited theaters but I think it'll do well on expansion (which will in turn influence its own awards success across December-February. It shouldn't but it will).

Ronan deserves a big hit for once, she's supremely talented.

• Like 1