filmlover

Best Director 2017

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think I have Del Toro, Nolan, and McDonagh safe at this point. I would put Peele and Wright as my final two, or maybe Guadagnino. Some permutation of those three.

I think Guadagnino is a pretty safe bet at this point too. Feel like it's Peele, Wright and Gerwig going for the final spot 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I think Guadagnino is a pretty safe bet at this point too. Feel like it's Peele, Wright and Gerwig going for the final spot 

I think this is true but sometimes I forget that even the new and improved Academy might be dumb sometimes, which is why they might go for something like Wright over something les safe like Guadagnino. I feel good about Peele.

4 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Is Lady Bird supposed to be any kind of a directorial showcase? It feels like a writing/acting-driven movie. I think Guadagnino is in, or at least he should be (if he missed it would be a Haynes for Carol-level snub, if not worse), and I can see the directors' branch go for Peele, PTA, Baker or even Bigelow before they go for Gerwig.

The direction is good in it. The movie has great pacing and the performances are very good. The writing is amazing. 

CMBYN is a movie I expect to inspire a lot of passion, there won't be any accusations of it being cold/academic/self-conscious (like there were with Carol), which is why I see it getting a nod here over something stodgy like Darkest Hour or a well-made indie like Lady Bird. PTA would really need to deliver There Will Be Blood 2.0 to get in. Right now I think the 5th spot is between Peele and Baker (who I can totally see pulling a Benh Zeitlin), with Bigelow also being a distant but real possibility.

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

is there any way that Luca Guanatanamo (sp) misses the nom? I want him out so that Gerwig could get in. 

It's possible. The top three is pretty solidly GDT/Nolan/McDonagh with the last two spots up in the air. Guadagnino is one of the most likely ones to take a spot, but he could easily miss out in favor of Gerwig, Spielberg, Peele, Wright, or someone else.

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's possible. The top three is pretty solidly GDT/Nolan/McDonagh with the last two spots up in the air. Guadagnino is one of the most likely ones to take a spot, but he could easily miss out in favor of Gerwig, Spielberg, Peele, Wright, or someone else.

I'm rooting for Gerwig and Peele to make it. 

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

this will be most boring category for oscar race 2018 as we all know that Nolan is pretty much a seal deal, unless Ben Affleck's Argo 2.0 strikes again

Yeah at one point I would've said Del Toro had a decent chance but this really feels Nolan's to lose at this point