Grade it  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

4 hours ago, Goffe said:

Not my fault they are all so mediocre, and that people can’t see that.

Actually...it is your fault a bit. :ph34r: You just don't agree with some of the highest received blockbusters from the past couple of years.

It's you who can't see the greatness in those type of films. You kinda blind to those RT-scores they gave to the acclaimed movies.

And here's another problem. The thing about you disliking on every new big blockbuster that comes out........has become more predictable than before.

Most of the movies in recent years has become huge box office hits, beating records, and pleased a big majority of critics & audience because of quality. Big deal for someone named "Goffe". 🙄

Uugh! :sick: :puke:

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

:lol: 

What is it with my opinions that triggers everybody in this forum? You all make it seem like I do it for attention when it’s really not the case. 

Besides, my criticisms of IT are echoed in various other reviews, so it’s not like I’m alone on the points I made.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Goffe not liking the same movies as everyone else hardly constitutes a problem lmao.

Let him do him, man.

BUT DON'T YOU GET IT??? IF PEOPLE DON'T SHARE THE SAME OPINIONS AS I DO ON MOVIES, CINEMA AS A WHOLE IS AFFECTED BY ONE PERSON'S OPINION ON A FILM THAT HAS SOLD AN ESTIMATED 26 MILLION TICKETS DOMESTICALLY!!!!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, Goffe said:

:lol: 

What is it with my opinions that triggers everybody in this forum? You all make it seem like I do it for attention when it’s really not the case. 

Besides, my criticisms of IT are echoed in various other reviews, so it’s not like I’m alone on the points I made.

It's because they are mostly often more of the same. You hate the big films even when they are actually very well received by critics, that's the problem that triggers people, lol. 😆

Whenever a new huge box office hit comes out, you seek to constantly & automatically hate them because they are way too well-praised for you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

It's because they are mostly often more of the same. You hate the big films even when they are actually very well received by critics, that's the problem that triggers people, lol. 😆

Whenever a new huge box office hit comes out, you seek to constantly & automatically hate them because they are way too well-praised for you.

That's because it's his own fucking opinion lmao.  He can have all the unpopular opinions he wants.

It was... pretty good? Great coming of age story. Great child actors. Great cinematography. Great humor.

Terrible, chuckle-inducing attempts at horror. Yes I understand the budget was low-ish for such a complicated book with tons of monsters and trippy shit but what matters is the end product. And the end product looks like a cartoon. I absolutely could not be scared of anything in this movie. It was all just too ridiculous either in concept or appearance. I jumped a little once at one of the startle moments with the "stinger" sound effect but let's be real, that's basically cheating. I'm actually kinda peeved this is gonna be one of the top grossing horror movies of all time when it is completely and totally inept as a horror movie.

For the record I have this exact same problem with the original Poltergeist.

C+

I thought It was phenomenal. The time flew by, it felt like an one hour movie to me. The whole theater clapped at the end, which is extremely unusual here in Germany, the last time i experienced that was at the SW7 premiere night with - you know - diehard SW fans.

It was shot perfectly, just like The Handmaiden, the camerawork was outstanding. The script could have been better and some scares didnt work but this was just pure entertainment. I didnt really notice the CGI, only in a few moments, but they werent distracting to me. This movie deserves all the money and i hope it starts another horror rennaissance.

I haven't read the book and only watched very little bits and pieces of the miniseries as a kid because just the image of the clown terrified me to no end, so I went in knowing pretty much nothing about IT. And it was a very pleasant in a surprising way.

It worked for me way more as a kid adventure in the vein of Stand by me/Goonies etc. than a horror movie but I don't think that's a bad thing. The story, the humor and most of the characters were very well handled, and while I didn't find it particularly scary it had some mesmerizing "horror" images with the nightmares and whenever Bill Skaarskard had something to do. That opening sequence alone was fantastic. As a non-fan of the property I totally get why this turned into the first giant horror blockbuster in decades even if it's hit or miss as horror, because it works 100% as a coming of age story. 

Another thing I really liked was how they set this up as a 2 parter without feeling like set up. I don't know what's the deal with the book is, if this story ends in the middle and the next chapter picks up 27 years later or if there's an IT vol.2 book, but it worked very well judging from my audience. When the credits with "chapter 1" dropped you could hear the chatter in the room "dafuq, there's a part 2?" "of course there's a part 2, they have to face him as adults". That's a great way to end things.

I have only 2 minor things that bothered me in the movie.

1. The kid with the curly blonde hair.  The black kid was also under-developed but the blonde one I thought was the red shirt of the crew and waiting for him to die at any moment. When he made it to the end I was like "we were supposed to care about him too?". He was such a non-entity, it barely makes sense that he's gonna make it to the sequel.

2.The excessive use of jump scares and "IT attacking one kid at a time without actually hurting them". I said already that I found a lot of the horror imagery very inspired but they kind of overdid it. By the time IT chases them around in the sewers and manifesting again as everyone's different fears it just felt silly.

B+. And I'm really anticipating the sequel now, I might even read the book in the meantime.

Edited by Joel M

The film was a great remake, with a great balance of horror and nostalgia from the time. The young cast were talented, and could handle the adult sized task of leading a film. I had two problems preventing me from giving this an A grade. There was no content with the adult versions of the boys, that entire theme is out of this story. And there is too much of an explanation of what 'it' is at the end. We see people floating, literally in the air. so 'You'll float too' has new meaning. And what 'it' is is too well explained so it loses its' scare factor. Maybe he'll be back in 17 years but they are ready. 

Still the best scare movie in a good while, and one of my favs for the year. 

• Like 1

The kids are fabulous.

• I saw the main boy in Book of Henry and he impressed me there and moreso here. 
  • Stranger Things boy was my favorite.
  • Amy Adams girl was super impressive and nuanced.
  • I liked that they kind of shoehorned in the black boy to be part of the group. It's kind of sloppy but it is a decent story.

Pennywise was not scary. He could have really had some fright behind him, but the choices they made...I don't mind it looking cartoony to a point, but the changes in, I guess focus? Didn't work for me. The one part that I was actually impressed by was spewing Beverly's bathroom with blood. 

I was more afraid of The Conjuring than I was of him. I was more afraid in Krampus than I was of him. Hell, I was more afraid of that punk white boy who mutilated and bullied the gang because there was a very Frollo-like vibe to him - People like him exist in this world and hardly ever face consequences. That's scarier than a sewer clown. I've never read the book, so does he (The clown)  come back? If he does, I hope they kick it up a notch. Not a bad performance just underwhelming writing.

It wasn't a waste of my time but I'm not over the moon about it. C

Edited by Morieris