Grade it  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

B

I enjoyed this a lot, more than I actually thought I would. The whole execution was pretty good, the kid actors basically carry the whole movie, they are simply amazing, all of them. The dialogue was also very effective throughout, it was quite sharp, with loads of good humour and they managed to avoid a lot of cheesy moments that almost felt like coming.

Basically, the movie is at it's best when it is not a scary movie. When the focus is on the characters, the relationship between them and the bond that they share. That's not to say that the story with Pennywise is not intriguing by any means, it is just that I feel that the way they approached it was quite weak. Most of the jump scares and the gross scenes were ineffective for me. Some of them could have been cut sothe  focus could be more on building an atmosphere and increasing the suspense.

I guess here comes the other "problem" I had about the movie albeit not big as well. I felt that the switch between the tone didn't quite work in some moments. At least I didn't like the sudden shifts between a quite frightening atmosphere to light-hearted, kind of feel-good scenes. It felt quite incohesive at times and confusing.

Last and I end with this not to sound any more grumpy, there could have been a bit more of character development. I know there are a lot to be filled in little time but to be quite honest with you, I got a satisfying sense of the personalities of the characters only about Bev,Bill and Eddie.

All in all, it was worth watching and even at the problems I had I recognise that they probably were some practical decisions that sticked with the general audience. Not a masterpiece, but yet a greatly executed film with a real lot of heart.

• Like 1

Great film with some great characters. The actors from IT and Stranger Things are just amazing. They embody the 80's (and early 90's) look so well. Marvelous actors. I felt like i was watching the Goonies for both. Beverly will grow up to be a stunner....she looks so much like Amy Adams. I hope they cast her in the sequel. 

It was quite different from the mini series. No slingshot :( that was iconic for me. Granted i didn't see the mini series all throughout as i was terrified as a kid lol. But a job well done overall.

The CGI could be cut out though. My only real gripe. Ruined the tension at times.

Bring on the sequel.

A

I've now seen this 3 times and my love for this film has grown with every viewing. The last time I saw it was back in September but like Blade Runner 2049, it just really holds up. A lot of the initial issues I had with the story are gone but I still think the actual horror aspects of this are the weakest element and wanted more Pennywise dialogue.

But god damn man, I love the score (like the film, in my top picks for the year) and the chemistry between the kids so much. It really does feel like a book come to life and horror movies rarely frighten me anyway. This was just so much fun. And it's one of the fastest 2+ hour films of the year. It really flies by.

I'm just happy that this generation has this sort of film that I think they'll look back on like I look back on some of the bigger films from the 90s. We haven't gotten anything like this in the cinema for a really long time and this could have been a complete disaster.

• Like 1

Oh and they filmed an alternate opening that's on the Bluray. In this cut Georgie gets his boat back.

Pennywise's reaction gives me so much hope for what they can do with the character in Chapter 2. Skarsgard can definitely hit the right comedic notes and has the timing.

I just think it's awesome that they actually filmed that and just shows how much fun everyone was probably having on set.

Upon rewatch, It remains a fun, if not scary time. Works fantastic as a Halloween film, as it truly captures the innocence, and mischief of the holiday. Eddie’s the best kid, and I love those wacky camera tricks. A very charming blockbuster. B

• Like 1