baumer

Top 25 films of 1997 (Countdown will begin Sunday Nov. 26th at Noon EST 9AM PST)

So I just saw Gattaca, and I found the world it builds and themes it deals with really interesting. the main story itself though was not nearly as good, and felt somewhat bogged down and had some problematic parts. Overall a good film that will do reasonably well on my list, But it's nowhere near as good as Mononoke or LA Confidential.

In the Company of Men: stay away if you need likeable lead characters to get into a movie. Eckhart is pretty much the definition of perfect casting. Its last shot, from Christine pov, is chilling and masterful. 8/10

As Good as It Gets: why soooo goddamn long? like jesus, fuck you for making it, what could have been a nice middlebrow dramedy with excellent performances directed by someone with an actual cinematic sense, 140 minutes long. Fuck you. 5/10

The Fifth Element: don’t want to sound too condescending here, but doesn’t this feel like something right out of a 13 year old boy’s mind? Took me a lot of willpower to go through all of it. 0/10

Edited by Goffe
  • Disbelief 1

51 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yes and in this case that's why it works

Someone pointed that out (maybe on this message board) and I think it make sense, the movie is really boyish, but Bruce Willis character seem to acknowledge all of it and be on the audience side being bothered by most of it and help us to go through, something that was not there in is more honest, him being more courageous/confident older self Valerian. 

Fully agree that it fully work, the execution is there, Oldman and Tucker are a blast, the opera scene, etc... it is really a nice movie movie that maybe surprisingly aged really well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

are we sure Life is Beautiful should be included?  It broke through at the Academy Awards for the following year.

I get your point and if Life Is Beautiful were the only film where this were an issue I'd agree. But a general rule has to be made and since some foreign films were released in the US many years after their home country or not at all, using the US release date would create worse problems overall. 

2 minutes ago, Tower said:

I get your point and if Life Is Beautiful were the only film where this were an issue I'd agree. But a general rule has to be made and since some foreign films were released in the US many years after their home country or not at all, using the US release date would create worse problems overall. 

I am cataloging all of the 1997 releases via BOM.  about 20-30 of them are foreign films from 1995 to 1996.  Should I save my time and not include these?