CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Should have opened Labor Day weekend. $140m for the 3-day and $170m for the 4-day would have been in play. 

Would have been Deadpool V-day/President's day all over again but bigger. 132.4/152.2.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, a2knet said:

Weekend 5 for CONJ1, CONJ2, A1 and A2 (in that order) :

$3,885,296

8-18-13 / 122,001 / $1,942

-41.4%  $127,838,166

$1,711,805

7-10-16 / 111,052 / $1,627

-55.4%  $99,340,137

$1,959,047

11-2-14 / 141,755 / $1,116

-41.5%  $82,459,183

Est. $4,000,000

9-10-17 / 43,003 / $1,332-

46.7%  $96,267,010

added 9.6 more                  added 3.2 more                 added 1.8 more           needs 3.7 more for 100

A1 never had summer weekdays while CONJ1 and CONJ2 had summer weekdays throughout, so they added well compared to the weekends shown here.

A2 now does not have summer weekdays but should add 5-6 if not more.

Nice, nice!!! ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

That's mostly an action movie with comedy elements.

Nah, it was a nonstop-comedy. Nothing made sense. Pure lunacy.

But i guess irony doesnt work that well in the Internet without something like:qotd:

The film took in over 170 world wide.It not only took in twice it's cost to breakeven, but has already made a major profit for Warners.

Even the most optimistic predictions for this film did not have it making this kind of money. It is also the first film of a Stephen King novel to be a big blockbuster in a long time.

Warners execs will be very happy tomorrow...until the have to figure out what to do about "Geostorm".

Edited by dudalb

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The film took in over 170 world wide.It not only took in twice it's cost to breakeven, but has already made a major profit for Warners.

Even the most optimistic predictions for this film did not have it making this kind of money. It is also the first film of a Stephen King novel to be a big blockbuster in a long time.

Warners execs will be very happy tomorrow...until the have to figure out what to do about "Geostorm".

IT was going to profitable no matter what and it's possible it could make 15-20 times its budget WW. Easily will be Deadline's number 1 for most profitable film in their usual top ten. The profits from IT alone will cover the major losses from King Arthur, Live by Night etc 

Dunkirk's going to hit $500m WW in the next week or so, even with the deal they with Nolan, it's going to be profitable for WB. 

WB are only distributing Geostorm, Skydance will take most of their financial hit when it bombs.

24 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Easily will be Deadline's number 1 for most profitable film in their usual top ten.

Force Awaken was at 780m net profit at that game (and they already had stopped to put merchandising into consideration that year).

I imagine SW8 could still be in the running for 2017, Despicable me 3 will have bigger participation bonus, so maybe not, but over 1 billion on a 80 million budget..... will not be easy to beat either.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

comedies are now, having a fusion with marvel's superhero films....

This and with animation for the family crowd those 3d animated movies are almost all comedies and very popular. 

MCU / star wars main storyline, Jurassic World,  the fast and furious, etc... tend to have a lot of comedy in them right now.

Watching an older Mission impossible vs the latest one will just show how much comedy got blended in almost everything now a day, Fury Road was a rare example of an big action movie with very few laugh, Apes, Rogues One and the last 2 hunger games rare example of franchise entry.

That make it really hard to compete. That is a bit true for pure genre in general I guess not just comedy, pure romance is not much of a thing either, combination, horror-comedy, comedy-action, fantasy-comedy-action, tend to be what work the best.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Looking at the past few years' first non-labour day weekend of September (the equivalent to this weekend), many films fell in the high 40% and 50+% range on Sunday. Maybe WB's projected 55% drop on Sunday isn't totally unreasonable, given that Hurricane Irma slammed into Florida today. *shrug*

Ultimately, I don't think it really matters though, because $117+ million for the weekend is bonkers for a horror film in September. Incredible opening weekend.

Peace,

Mike

Also, @The Pumpkin Spice Panda created a club for IT outgrossing Gravity ($274M) domestically. I explained in detail why I thought there was a very slim chance of that happening, and now I may have to eat some serious crow (and I will gladly do so). It only needs a 2.34 multiplier (based on the estimated weekend gross of $117.15M) to pass that mark, so it looks likely, unless the legs are frontloaded due to the huge opening weekend. Mad props to Panda either way.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Looking at the past few years' first non-labour day weekend of September (the equivalent to this weekend), many films fell in the high 40% and 50+% range on Sunday. Maybe WB's projected 55% drop on Sunday isn't totally unreasonable, given that Hurricane Irma slammed into Florida today. *shrug*

Ultimately, I don't think it really matters though, because $117+ million for the weekend is bonkers for a horror film in September. Incredible opening weekend.

Peace,

Mike

It's wonderful OW but @lobogotti who reported a $40M Saturday (bold but awesome prediction) even said it will be underestimated despite the weather and NFL.

I think it will crack $120M when actuals get released tomorrow. I can't think of a single $110M+ opener that dropped 50% on a Sunday for its first weekend.

7 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Fun fact: IT opened higher than TEN movies on the MCU, costing 1/5 of their average budget. 

You're trolling game is weak.

We can point to a number of movies this applies to if we wanted to really do it. High budget vs low budget but opened high.

Get back to us when the interconnected Steven King Universe is a BILLION dollar machine. 

Congrats to IT for opening so well. Glad for the BO rebound and IT should have no trouble ruling for the rest of September. 

• Haha 1