CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

Incredible opening for It. That Saturday number is just jaw-dropping - I wasn't expecting it to come anywhere near $40 million on Saturday, let alone go over 45. Just goes to show what happens when you arrange a perfect storm of positive factors: beloved source material, terrific ad campaign, stellar reviews, and a wide open market place ready for an event film to dominate. Nevertheless, it still feels a little surreal that we just saw an R-rated horror film open well over $100 million in early September.

On a personal note, it's also the first time ever that I can say I attended all twelve of the current monthly opening records.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

I was just meaning total net profit.  Dollar returns for Get Out are near impossible to beat due to how cheap it was.

I think that Beauty and the Beast will still end up ahead for net profit. It cost a lot more, but it will be ahead in the box office by $600-700M worldwide. 

If you figure a $700M gross would have been more than enough for Beauty and the Beast to cover its expenses, you have another whole IT worth of box office gross where the costs are basically zero.

Edited by kswiston

14 minutes ago, kswiston said:

If you figure a $700M gross would have been more than enough for Beauty and the Beast to cover its expenses, you have another whole IT worth of box office gross where the costs are basically zero.

Break even was probably closer to 300-330m (150dbo/180intl) if that rumored 160m budget is true, Watson rumored low fee, etc... I would imagine 350max, it was not a china heavy title at all.

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Break even was probably closer to 300-330m (150dbo/180intl) if that rumored 160m budget is true, Watson rumored low fee, etc... I would imagine 350max, it was not a china heavy title at all.

I was throwing in the marketing as well. 

20 minutes ago, Tauren Warlock said:

I think IT might be the most profitable movie of 2017.

Get Out's ww is 56x it's prod budget (4.5m). Annabelle:C's ww will end up at least 20x it's prod budget (15m).

Even 600 ww would give IT 17x the prod budget.

Get Out is impossible to beat. But it will be difficult to beat A:C too, even after non-theatrical is included for both the films.

13 minutes ago, kswiston said:

I was throwing in the marketing as well. 

Me to, the double the budget at the box office rules of thumb is because we take into account the massive marketing cost, movie tend to make 1.75 to 3.5 time their box office rental in revenus, otherwise they would require to do much less than that.

Specially a Disney movie like that, that has so many revenue avenue and will have a long Disney vault life and high priced blueray a soundtrack that went number one in album sales in many country, etc... Even if we do not take into account the licensing money of a franchise like that, how much it did help selling the 1991 version the last couple of year's, help the Disney land parks, etc..., doubling is budget of a big budget blockbuster that is performing well domestically should be more than enough (or things degraded a lot recently)

23 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Get Out's ww is 56x it's prod budget (4.5m). Annabelle:C's ww will end up at least 20x it's prod budget (15m).

Even 600 ww would give IT 17x the prod budget.

Get Out is impossible to beat. But it will be difficult to beat A:C too, even after non-theatrical is included for both the films.

I think we're talking about amount of money. Deadline doesn't make rank "box-office/budget" only profit is matter.

12 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

am I the only one here who thinks Home Again can leg it out like the other September hits Fatal Attraction (7.6 OW, 156.6 total) and Crocodile Dundee (8.0 OW, 174.8 total)??

The movie is set in the 80's. Doesn't mean it will behave like a movie released in the 80's. 

Edit:I had It in my head with this reply. 

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, La Binoche said:

Did anyone else think Get Out was the most overrated movie in years? It failed as horror and fell flat as satire (way too on the nose). Glad IT blew it out of the water. 

Nope. Get Out is better than It.