CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

16 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I think that IT 2 is guarranteed to get an $100m OW. 

if Thursday previews keep on becoming insane, then IT2 doing 100m over 2-days is possible. IT1 itself did 95+ over Fri and Sat. I though wish that IT2 was in 2018. For continuity's sake 2019 seems a bit far off. Like LOTR and HOBBIT movies I felt this should have come back to back, though not like Matrix 2/3 in just few months. But 1-1.5 year gap is good enough.

Wonder if WB targets early 2019, say Jan which has been a kick-off for horror and of course WB has experienced AS phenomena in January.

Edited by a2knet
added more clarity

3 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

You think or you thought?

I am talking about the second part which is coming in 2019 (If I remember correctly).

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

if Thursday previews keep on becoming insane, then 100m over 2-days is possible. IT1 did 95+ over Fri and Sat. I though wish that IT2 was in 2018. For continuity's sake 2019 seems a bit far off. Like LOTR and HOBBIT movies I felt this should have come back to back, though not like Matrix 2/3 in just few months. But 1-1.5 year gap is good enough.

Wonder if WB targets early 2019, say Jan which has been a kick-off for horror and of course WB has experienced AS phenomena in January.

2 years feels like the perfect gap for me.

8 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I am talking about the second part which is coming in 2019 (If I remember correctly).

Yeah I meant if IT1 can do 95+ in 2 days then IT2 could do 100+ in 2 days considering thur previews are also getting stronger each passing year.

8 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

2 years feels like the perfect gap for me.

Yeah I guess. One thing that worries me is that other studios could try to mooch off IT's popularity and 2 years is enough time for folks to clutter the market with lot more low-budget horror which may not be of the same high quality as WB's recent endeavors. By fall 2019 we could have a quiet a few horror films with IT like story-lines, and starring Clowns and what not. Doesn't take much time to churn horror out if you don't do it well and hopefully IT-mojo is not diminished by then.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Yeah I meant if IT1 can do 95+ in 2 days then IT2 could do 100+ in 2 days considering thur previews are also getting stronger each passing year.

Yeah I guess. One thing that worries me is that other studios could try to mooch off IT's popularity and 2 years is enough time for folks to clutter the market with lot more low-budget horror which may not be of the same high quality as WB's recent endeavors. By fall 2019 we could have a quiet a few horror films with IT like story-lines, and starring Clowns and what not. Doesn't take much time to churn horror out if you don't do it well and hopefully IT-mojo is not diminished by then.

I think if WB and the creative team want to get IT Chapter 2 spot on, they shouldn't rush it. People will see IT Chapter 2 no matter what, The Conjuring 2 still opened higher than The Conjuring 1 despite a three year gap.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think if WB and the creative team want to get IT Chapter 2 spot on, they shouldn't rush it. People will see IT Chapter 2 no matter what, The Conjuring 2 still opened higher than The Conjuring 1 despite a three year gap.

CONJ2 opened a tad lower (40.4 vs 41.9) but I guess that is due to Annabelle stealing some mojo and not doing much with it. A 2 year gap seems fair for IT2 considering they will spend time casting adults now and probably wait for more feedback for IT1 before locking a script for IT2. I think Godizlla's post-ow performance did make them question Godzilla2 (not that am expecting anything like that for IT1). 2018 would have been rushing it/IT.

Edited by a2knet

11 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

IT 2 will be fine releasing in 2019. I'm sure the budget will increase quite a bit, but they'll surely keep it under $100m. Though I think it is likely to drop both OW and DOM. It will be tough to replicate this level of hype.

even if they double the budget to 70 they could do 3-3.5x that just from dom if not more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine the budget will be $70-75m which would be enough to pay for a starry cast, increased salaries and improved CGI.

the adult casting process is gonna be interesting to follow. IT2 thread's gonna be alive as if it were a CBM thread.

2 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I think Guru is off his medication or something. He says that off of a 123 weekend it should hit 275? That's like a 2.2 multiplier. In what universe is this movie going to get a 2.2 multiplier? The minimum I see it getting is around 2.6. Guru used to be on top of grosses and stuff for the movies but now he just seems lazy

Or maybe $500m, who knows?

I hope they keep the budget relatively in check.  They don't need a massive budget to make the sequel.  Chastain won't cost all that much and even if they get a few more names, my guess is they would be able to get 7 somewhat known actors for about 2-3 mill each plus a backend deal.  So a 60-70 mill budget seems fine, imo.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 American Made leads the weekend here for the 2nd week in a row while Logan Lucky and Renegades implode. The Hitman's Bodyguard is a big hit.

http://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_7_a_10_setembro_2017_42407216659b66a43dbf55.pdf

Portuguese people really love to Cruise on Tom's copter. :redcapes:

• Like 2

Just now, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I hope they keep the budget relatively in check.  They don't need a massive budget to make the sequel.  Chastain won't cost all that much and even if they get a few more names, my guess is they would be able to get 7 somewhat known actors for about 2-3 mill each plus a backend deal.  So a 60-70 mill budget seems fine, imo.

Yeah I mean, even if the budget is something like 100m, they will have paid off everything for the sequel (including marketing) with the profits from this one, with piles of cash still left over.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

As I remember Guru is a king of underestimation.

But this isn't an estimation, this is simple research.  All he has to do is look at other similar films that kind of hit the zeitgeist, had good wom and a really solid internal multiplier.   Deadpool is a similar film imo.  They opened very close to one another, both were big surprises, both had good wom and had insane internal multipliers.  DP had a 2.75X.  Even if you drop this one just a bit because it's horror, then give it 2.55.  That's 313 million.  There's not a chance this finishes with 275.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I imagine Muschietti and Skarsgard will get a salary bump as well. 

29 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

but seriously, they can get away with one big name and still have a low budget

Edited by 75livesinDerry
  • Like 1