CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I just don't get that it's R rated so it can't open big idea after an R rated film opened with 88mil just this past March.

Its more to do with it being a horror movie as well. The horror genre has always had a niche appeal hence most horror movies having a low budget and being dumped in any month to scrape a small profit.

IT wasn't expected to make a lot of money, the director has already said there was a few scenes they wanted to do but due to it being to expensive they cut them out. A $35M budget is low in comparisons with films from other genres.

With this big opening maybe there can be more faith put into horror movies potential to connect with larger audiences.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theultimatebiu said:

Its more to do with it being a horror movie as well. The horror genre has always had a niche appeal hence most horror movies having a low budget and being dumped in any month to scrape a small profit.

IT wasn't expected to make a lot of money, the director has already said there was a few scenes they wanted to do but due to it being to expensive they cut them out. A $35M budget is low in comparisons with films from other genres.

With this big opening maybe there can be more faith put into horror movies potential to connect with larger audiences.

A 35 million budget is plenty big for a horror movie. Horror movies don't need 150mil budgets like Superhero movies, the genre is completely different.

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

A 35 million budget is plenty big for a horror movie. Horror movies don't need 150mil budgets like Superhero movies, the genre is completely different.

In comparisons with other genres it's not big. For a horror movie it's big but I'm sure if they assumed they were going to make $100m OW the budget would have been larger...especially as the movie called for a bigger budget to recreate scenes from the source material.

Edited by theultimatebiu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Huge for September, you can program year round with the right movie

That is soooo true.

Going by Box Office Mojo, after It  opens, the only months of the year not to have a 100-million-dollar-plus opening will be January and October!!!

Somebody PLEASE schedule a superhero sequel for those months so we can get the entire year to be blockbuster-friendly!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, theultimatebiu said:

In comparisons with other genres it's not big. For a horror movie it's big but I'm sure if they assumed they were going to make $100m OW the budget would have been larger...especially as the movie called for a bigger budget to recreate scenes from the source material.

I seriously doubt that WB regrets making more of a profit. So no I don't think that WB would have spent substantially more money if they knew it would make as much when they could make the same amount with less money.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I'm in your town @Stutterng baumer Denbrough

Toronto is a beautiful city.

Me and @Spaghetti of 1000 Planets are meeting for dinner and a movie today in downtown Toronto.  Would you like to come by and join us for dinner tonight?  We're meeting at around 6.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

This weekend's lesson;

Never doubt the power of online buzz even If it is about an r rated september horror release!

:P

I think in this case it was offline buzz too. It hit a huge market who clearly don't usually go to horror films. Amazing. 

• Like 1