CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

Just now, Napoleon said:

WB is not messing around, another great year for the studio. They recovered really fast from 2015.

WB operating income in 2015 was 22% larger than 2014.

It could have look like a really bad year (at least on the movie front), but American sniper business was 100% in 2015 not 2014 and they had their best year on the Video games industry by a giant amount to compensate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, theultimatebiu said:

Ninjago is barely going to make a blip. Kingsman should be pretty big. 

I think Ninjago and Kingsman will do about the same but Ninjago will outgross it.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-forecast-thor-ragnarok-bad-moms-christmas/

• mother! has shown encouraging signs of social media activity since marketing kicked in a few weeks ago. That said, we remain concerned about its release proximity to IT, which is likely to still post a strong second weekend.
  • Likewise, the Flatliners remake has shown improving signs on social media of late. The film’s latest trailer this week could spur additional interest from teen moviegoers.

lmfao they're still fucking smoking it. A lot of teens can't even see Flatliners because it'll be R

Thor: 100/250

Bad Moms: 30/85

mother!: 11.2/38.4

Flatliners: 12/29

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Tbf it's not a terrible idea to put HT3 on Summer season - given how, right now, it's the third of only 3 animated films slated for next year's Summer, the other 2 being The Incredibles 2, which is gonna be gigantic, and an unknown Laika film.... which could breakout, but probably won't.

If I were them though, I'd put it in late October, near Halloween season, as part of the reason why the HT franchise has been so successful in September is because of the proximity to Halloween. They have Goosebumps 2 + Venom + Hotel Transylvania 3 all going for that Halloween cash, and HT3 could play well enough going into November...... until it gets slaughtered by The Grinch and Wreck-It Ralph 2, that is.

3. I'm pretty sure Laika's might not happen but WAG has a June film.

6 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Because football affects everything. Go back and look at every opening day for football on Sunday and you will see that film's drop between 45 and 50%.

I hope I'm wrong and the only drops like 25% LOL but I don't think that's going to happen.

Fair response.  I'm a big football fan myself, but can't argue with stats....I think it'll have a better drop than that for a few reasons, but I'm guessing

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

http://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-forecast-thor-ragnarok-bad-moms-christmas/

lmfao they're still fucking smoking it. A lot of teens can't even see Flatliners because it'll be R

Thor: 100/250

Bad Moms: 30/85

mother!: 11.2/38.4

Flatliners: 12/29

I didn't think Flatliners had been rated yet.

20 hours ago, grim22 said:

With a 35M budget, this should be in profit by Sunday easily. Smart budgeting, great marketing blitz and a known property all add up to a big OW for September.

I'd be surprised if it's not in profit by Saturday night 

This line from the Deadline report made me laugh, coming a month after The Dark Tower

Let’s face it, Stephen King is the brand that has been pushing audiences to this. That, and a smart marketing campaign.

Tim Curry's Pennywise and the miniseries as well as Stranger Things which was a pastiche of this probably had a bigger impact on moviegoers than a King endorsement 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Wait what :ohmygod: 

When the other trailers were Happy Death Day, Flatliners, Jigsaw, Justice League, and Geostorm :sparta:it makes it stand out even more. And nope it was A Ghost Story which had me and the audience going WTF. 

Edited by Rman823

8 hours ago, eXtacy said:

I don't see how previews/opening for this weekend will relate at all to a film like Ragnarok

It's a little theory of mine. My point is that big preview numbers / opening weekend for It would mean that the hype factor surrounding Thor: Ragnarok is real. I'm willing to adjust my Thor: Ragnarok actual predictions ($110m OW - $315m DOM) depending on how well It does. No one needs to see it like I'm seeing, but I do see a parallel.

Edited by iJackSparrow