CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

But we don't know if he liked IT yet or not so we can say for sure!

(I won't be seeing it until Wednesday at the earliest either so I'm jealous of everyone else right now too :lol:)

He won't like it just to make sure that mother! can succeed :ph34r:

With a 105+ ow, 2.5x will take IT over 262.5 which is what DM3 is looking to end at (currently on 259).

Then it's behind SMH on 2017 dom charts. Beating SMH is gonna be tough. 110 ow and 3x gives 330, close to what SMH is looking at.

Just now, Nova said:

Also remember IT, is doing this while a Cat 4-5 hurricane is about to barrel through a whole state. 

If not for the hurricane, i think this could have given Deadpool a run for its money in terms of breaking the 3-day record. 

Otoh, this could mean better holds in the weekdays and the 2nd weekend.

Just now, Jonwo said:

I don't think it'll beat JL or Ragnarok but it'll beat Logan

It'll really come down to the legs.

I think IT is also benefiting from the fact that audiences are hungry for quality films that are different from the typical blockbusters coming out with a small dose of nostalgia and familiarity.

2 minutes ago, bruchav said:

IT will beat Ragnarok (dom).

Both will be close in OW and gross (both doing over $300M) but IT will win. The only way I can see IT over JL is if it's BVS divisive and IT legs it out to $350M+.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

The most important reasons for IT's success;

1.)IT is a very well known property. Even If you are in the minority and you haven't read the book or watched the mini series it is almost impossible that you haven't heard about the Pennywise's story.

2.)Exceptional marketing. The first trailer was incredible. It got a lot of people who weren't thinking about watching it change their minds or got the interest even higher to those with pre-existing condition.

3.)The release date turned out excellent despite the doubts. If people want to watch a movie they will do so no matter what month it is. Add to that a dead and burried August. The competition in the previous weeks waas just nonexistent. It quickly became the only movie to look at in a long time.

4.)Horror is hot again in 2017. After Split, Get Out and Annabelle, for the first time in a while Hollywood is releasing quality horror movies and the GA is feeling it.

Anything else I am missing?