CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Incredible for Annabelle, on track for 100M, shutting up the haters talking about bad legs on his first Tuesday lmao. WOM was very good and it shows.

With IT break $100m for opening, Annabelle, become too, the sole $100m grosser for dreadful August!!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Just now, a2knet said:

1vkklu.jpg

If BR49 really surprises, and it could for all we know they have made a very good film, then WB's streak continues through Oct and November, as JL is a certain money maker.

Blade Runner should do well but I imagine the running time will impact its grosses to a degree. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Incredible for Annabelle, on track for 100M, shutting up the haters talking about bad legs on his first Tuesday lmao. WOM was very good and it shows.

Yup. Unbelievably strong run. And this weekend it's dealing with a 100M+ opening horror in It that could've easily crippled its run immediately, but nope, it's still holding on strong.

Folks, we're gonna have FOUR horror movies do over 100 million dollars domestically. Split, Get Out, Annabelle: Creation and It. If this is not a complete renaissance of horror, I dunno what it is.

Also, WB's streak of Wondie + Dunkirk + Annabelle + It + Ninjago + 2049 + Justice League is a true perfect storm. Almost reminds me of Disney's scary 2016. WB has a strong shot at winning 2017, although it is no lock (Disney's Thor + Coco + Last Jedi trio is terrifying).

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine Deadline has the puns at the ready! 

"Geostorms heads to disaster at the box office". 

5 minutes ago, K1stpierre said:

I'm always in favor of practical effects vs cgi ones. I mean you look back at the original The Thing, and even today the practical effects (well maybe except the very last image of it when he was that big weird dinosaur/dog thing) used in the film stand up to me at least. The spider legged thing still creeps me the fuck out.

Practical effects are definitely more effective to me, even if CGI has its merits. Bottin's The Thing's effects are amazing. When the creature finally shows itself, its appearance scares me alone, it's perfect. 

• Like 1

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

Also, WB's streak of Wondie + Dunkirk + Annabelle + It + 2049 + Justice League is a true perfect storm. Almost reminds me of Disney's scary 2016. WB has a strong shot at winning 2017, although it is no lock (Disney's Thor + Coco + Last Jedi trio is terrifying).

Even the pitiful amounts that Geostorm and Bastards will make may tip the balance. Plus Ninjago likely will crack $100m

• Like 1

I do think IT is going to be the BO story of the year.

WW and BATB were both insane, but they were still both behemoth, family friendly properties, releasing in BO friendly time periods.

IT isnt just a hard R property, but it's a hard R horror film.  It beat the horror OW record and September OW record in its OD.  It's also doing all of this in September, on NFL opening weekend, with a hurricane shutting down maybe 4-6% of its audience, while also not being a holiday weekend at all.

• Like 4

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

"Geostorms heads to disaster at the box office". 

Practical effects are definitely more effective to me, even if CGI has its merits. Bottin's The Thing's effects are amazing. When the creature finally shows itself, its appearance scares me alone, it's perfect. 

A mix of practical and CGI is what I prefer, animatronics and stop motion are great but they have limits.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2017 at 6:06 AM, davincicode1 said:

Out. This won't come near 100 million domestically. Mark my words

No black people and no famous director/Jason Blum tag attached to it = failure

Also, the last Stephen King based horror movie grossed 35 million in total....

The Ring facebook promo clip had over 200 million views in first day on facebook alone, and that didn't generate any additional ticket sales. 

@davincicode1   Come on bro, come out and eat some crow.

Eat+Crow.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

IT, Kingsman, and Ninjago alone have potential to make more than the entire month of August this year combined. Holy.

Either Kingsman or Ninjago could grab the number 2 or 3 OW record depending on how they do. 

The UK box office was fun to watch last year as Bridget Jones's Baby broke the UK September record and managed to do more in dollars than the US on OW. IT is a redux of that but domestic 

• Like 1