CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I desperately wanted to predict 92mil but I couldn't even get that far, so 100mil was never going to be predicted by myself.

I'm ecstatic to see an out and out horror film do so well and a horror film that I love.

I REALLY wanted to predict 100M but the hurricane and football scared me too much. Plus some early showings did seem to be pretty empty so it was definitely a tough call. From the beginning, I used Hannibal's 91M adjusted OW as a reference point. I usually don't like to use adjusted grosses as comps but this just seemed to fit.

Now that's it's finally out, I can admit that I probably would have been shocked and crazy disappointed by anything less than 60M or so.

• Like 1

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one of the genius marketing tactical WB used for IT was (surprisingly) not releasing a Red Band trailer at all.

Almost every high profile release that is rated R has at least 1 or 2 red band trailers attached. However, this one pretty much fully hid any of the graphic nature, violence, cussing etc. Basically "if you want to see any of that, come buy a ticket"

It was the ultimate tease.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nomyth said:

I REALLY wanted to predict 100M but the hurricane and football scared me too much. Plus some early showings did seem to be pretty empty so it was definitely a tough call. From the beginning, I used Hannibal's 91M adjusted OW as a reference point. I usually don't like to use adjusted grosses as comps but this just seemed to fit.

Now that's it's finally out, I can admit that I probably would have been shocked and crazy disappointed by anything less than 60M or so.

I agree, I would have been very disappointed with less than 60mil. Sure 50mil still would been great but after all the hype, I would have been like meh. Lol

• Haha 1

IT's gonna have a phenomenal run though. Sure it's been mentioned but it really doesn't have any competition at all. Kingsman is probably its closest in demographic until Thor: Ragnarok (and naturally it'll collapse after Halloween anyway)

• Like 2

It's so weird what that Dark Tower movie turned into. I know nothing of the source material but I heard so many people say that it was so far away from the book it wasn't even funny. I don't understand why they would do that and make something that looks like a more generic Underworld clone instead?

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one of the genius marketing tactical WB used for IT was (surprisingly) not releasing a Red Band trailer at all.

Almost every high profile release that is rated R has at least 1 or 2 red band trailers attached. However, this one pretty much fully hid any of the graphic nature, violence, cussing etc. Basically "if you want to see any of that, come buy a ticket"

It was the ultimate tease.

To be fair, this is a pretty tame R, outside of like two scenes

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

It's so weird what that Dark Tower movie turned into. I know nothing of the source material but I heard so many people say that it was so far away from the book it wasn't even funny. I don't understand why they would do that and make something that looks like a more generic Underworld clone instead?

A faithful adaptation of the first book would've been a grimy western chase film with occasional bouts of major violence or weird fantasy elements.

I'm guessing they wanted to do something more commercial to set up their own series better, so they plucked elements from a few novels and mashed them together into what they thought would make for a good startup venture. They were wrong.