Xillix

Xillix' Critical Reviews, Y1

40 minutes ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

Spark Rising, going through my mind, feels like it would have worked better as a miniseries or tv show than as a movie, but I'm still glad you liked it! 

Eh, I think it needs the kind of budget that only a big movie really gets. It's certainly not the first or only franchise-starter to be a bit overambitious in terms of fitting a lot of information in. Honestly I was ready to give it four stars until the whole "love/friendship saves the day" climax. Just a personal pet peeve. The characters were a lot of fun and I can imagine teenage girls with Kozar posters in their bedrooms :P

@Hiccup23 I swear I don't have anything against you, lol. Eli Roth maybe. Public Eye was very good! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cookie said:

Is it Poison and Wine 2.0? 'Cause I just had to slog through that.

Nah, other than the really long runtime and college setting it's very different. And the actual written treatment is a lot shorter.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Xillix said:

Eh, I think it needs the kind of budget that only a big movie really gets. It's certainly not the first or only franchise-starter to be a bit overambitious in terms of fitting a lot of information in. Honestly I was ready to give it four stars until the whole "love/friendship saves the day" climax. Just a personal pet peeve. The characters were a lot of fun and I can imagine teenage girls with Kozar posters in their bedrooms :P

@Hiccup23 I swear I don't have anything against you, lol. Eli Roth maybe. Public Eye was very good! 

The climax definitely shows how Luc Besson was an influence, I'll give you that. :P From the start, Alex had felt alone and desolate in her life, that having people see her as a true person, seeing the good parts of her and loving her, rather than just as a weapon, is what gave her hope. It probably also worked better when I had envisioned it as a PG-rated Disney style animated film, but I like having done it live action!

Also with Kozar, that's a bit of what I was going for lmao

OCTOBER

The Provider

"I'd be lying if I said this movie didn't leave me with questions I would've liked to see answered. But there's a powerful, intoxicating atmosphere here, and a healthy portion of suspense - enough to keep it a thrilling endeavor, even if it is, perhaps, overly cryptic."

BOT_Tag_-_3_half_stars.png

Stacie

"Someone is getting sued, and very deservedly so. An uncredited but nearly shot-for-shot remake of Mike Flanagan's Hush, with acting, directing, and general craftsmanship that's inferior across the board. I cannot, in good conscience, recommend this bit of obvious plagiarism on any level, as it may be pulled from screens by court order any minute now."

BOT_Tag_-_half_star.png

The Haunting in Wisconsin

"Raimi has, predictably, crafted a horror movie with plenty of effective scares. Unfortunately, the plot is simplistic and in some cases laughably dumb - this family just has a scrapbook openly documenting their murderous Satanic sacrifices, of which their teenage son is completely unaware? - and the ending feels like a colossal cheat."

BOT_Tag_-_2_half_stars.png

America!

"The narration is pleasant and the scenery is gorgeous, but there's little to set this apart from other nature documentaries. Unless you're seeing this on a real, gigantic IMAX screen, there's simply no reason to make the trek to the theatre to watch it."

A Family of Families

"What even is the point in reviewing a film like this, one designed to do nothing but preach to the choir? The devoutly faithful who love this kind of thing have already decided to go no matter what. Secular audiences already know these no-budget Christian dramas offer nothing for them. The score here is provided only in case you're somehow unfamiliar with this sort of movie, or are simply skimming the page matching titles to ratings."

BOT_Tag_-_1_star.png

Life Is Strange

"The most shocking thing about Life Is Strange - in a movie filled with plot twists - is that it's a video game movie that actually, deeply works, with a firm grasp on its characters, their emotions, and the consequences of their actions. Trevorrow's direction sometimes falters, but this is an engrossing, touching, and absolutely worthwhile piece of cinema."

BOT_Tag_-_4_stars.png

Bad Cop

"The Fine Films horror plagiarism team strikes again, this time with an inferior, uncredited remake of William Lustig's cult classic Maniac Cop. As far as horror remakes go, it isn't terrible on its own terms. But with the lack of credit given to the source material, and the fact that this is a repeat offense, I simply can't endorse the picture at all."

BOT_Tag_-_half_star.png

Trump's America

"It's a Michael Moore political documentary. That's literally all I need to say about it for you to make up your mind."

• Like 1

Breaking News: Following critical press screenings of Stacie and Bad Cop, Fine Films Inc. president Doe John has been swiftly removed from his position after allegations rose over the two films directly plagiarizing two already existing horror films. Speaking to I Can't Believe It's Not Horror Monthly, Cookie Pictures CEO Sebastian Peters commented "I don't know what the people over at Fine Films do all day. They come to me and ask for money and then they vanish for extended periods of time until they show up with a heap of garbage- I mean films. We are of course deeply troubled over the allegations and we will restructure the division after we've concluded our investigation. Now if you'll excuse me, I have six Voltron sequels I need to greenlight."

Acting Fine Films Inc. president Eod Nohj declines to comment. Eod also declines to comment as to why he looks like Doe John with a fake mustache.

Edited by cookie
  • Haha 1

I'm a bit curious as to what was cryptic about The Provider - I did want to keep details about The Enclave fairly ambiguous on purpose, leaving an audience's interpretation of how it works or how it has built the power to oppress. In a way, it takes on an almost satirical slant of people rallying against an enemy they admittedly know little about. NM seems to float above it all because she, along with Davis, acts as a link between the two classes.

NOVEMBER

Love at First Sight

"A sweet, emotional story, inferior to the foreign original but with enough of its genuine heart to be a suitable alternative for those adverse to subtitles."

The Whale

"It's a decent enough adaptation of Moby Dick, but never provides a convincing reason for its modern setting, or the tired found-footage format, which only restricts the grandeur of the classic story."

Hidden World

"Ambitious and lavishly-produced, but also typical of Zack Snyder's work in that it tries and fails to make a philosophical statement with its heavy-handed plotting and questionable character arcs. Still, it looks gorgeous - marking a welcome departure from the helmer's bland recent offerings."

BOT_Tag_-_3_stars.png

Amulet

"Gorgeous and charming, if a bit obtuse, Amulet is a fine piece of animated fantasy that rewards patience and is well-positioned as a holiday event for discerning families."

BOT_Tag_-_4_stars.png

Pandemic

"While it may seem redundant in the wake of Soderbergh's Contagion, Forster's take on the same subject matter is no less valid and may meet with wider audience approval thanks to its more traditionally thrilling aspects. Non-essential, but better than it probably has any right to be."

BOT_Tag_-_3_stars.png

DECEMBER

The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair

"The plot can't be faulted, and the adaptation is handled with care. The acting is solid and the direction is, technically speaking, excellent. I must, however, admit to a touch of disappointment that Fincher's work has created a film that invites obvious comparisons to Gone Girl, without quite living up to the initial thrill of that blockbuster. Still a first-rate thriller, but one that's done a disservice by a sense of familiarity that shouldn't exist."

BOT_Tag_-_4_stars.png

The Hunchback of Notre Dame

"The live-action adaptation is inessential and fails to retain all of the magic from the animated version - a film which, I must confess, I've always found to be mediocre by Disney standards anyway. However, it remains worth a look for the underlying strength of the story and music, and for curious fans willing to accept a different take on the material. The technical accomplishments here are certainly admirable as well."

Tubular!

"A silly but entertaining blast of radical nostalgia that does little to deviate from the standard sports film formula. Still, those echoes of movies past almost serve to make it feel more authentic in its period setting - for better or worse, it's almost exactly the same movie that it would have been if it were actually made twenty years ago."

BOT_Tag_-_3_stars.png

Touching Spirit Bear

"An engrossing feature of significant depth, handled with care by Van Sant. The sad news is that the R-rating, while used to enhance the film's emotional impact, will likely make it inaccessible to its target audience."

BOT_Tag_-_4_stars.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

I'm a bit curious as to what was cryptic about The Provider - I did want to keep details about The Enclave fairly ambiguous on purpose, leaving an audience's interpretation of how it works or how it has built the power to oppress. In a way, it takes on an almost satirical slant of people rallying against an enemy they admittedly know little about. NM seems to float above it all because she, along with Davis, acts as a link between the two classes.

"Cryptic" in this case isn't meant as a biting criticism. I thought the mystery did add to the atmosphere and frankly I'm glad you didn't explain everything. As I said in my opening post while these reviews are BASED on my opinions, they're not EXACTLY my opinions, but filtered through a bit of an overly-analytical pedantic lens (I don't have a horribly high opinion of film critics in general). I suppose if anything I would have liked to have bit more information on how NM set herself up with both factions and managed to even have them refer to her by different names. If we know a bit about how the house of cards is stacked it can be more suspenseful waiting for something to disturb its structure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

holy shit....was Seeing Her your fave film of Y1?!?! 

I'll post my Top 25 in a bit. I haven't sorted things in any sort of order in my head yet, the ratings were all done in isolation of my opinions of other films.

7 minutes ago, Xillix said:

The Hunchback of Notre Dame

"The live-action adaptation is inessential and fails to retain all of the magic from the animated version - a film which, I must confess, I've always found to be mediocre by Disney standards anyway. However, it remains worth a look for the underlying strength of the story and music, and for curious fans willing to accept a different take on the material. The technical accomplishments here are certainly admirable as well."

It'll probably please fans of the book more (and yes, that's me insinuating a major spoiler so... sorry.).

Just now, cookie said:

It'll probably please fans of the book more (and yes, that's me insinuating a major spoiler so... sorry.).

Welp I never read the book so! To be honest, my memory of the Disney movie is fairly fuzzy too, so I wasn't 100% sure what you actually changed aside from the explicitly-stated new songs. Like I said in the review blurb, it was never one of my favorites, even as a kid.

11 minutes ago, Xillix said:

"Cryptic" in this case isn't meant as a biting criticism. I thought the mystery did add to the atmosphere and frankly I'm glad you didn't explain everything. As I said in my opening post while these reviews are BASED on my opinions, they're not EXACTLY my opinions, but filtered through a bit of an overly-analytical pedantic lens (I don't have a horribly high opinion of film critics in general). I suppose if anything I would have liked to have bit more information on how NM set herself up with both factions and managed to even have them refer to her by different names. If we know a bit about how the house of cards is stacked it can be more suspenseful waiting for something to disturb its structure.

....you just gave me the idea for a killer prequel.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Xillix said:

Welp I never read the book so! To be honest, my memory of the Disney movie is fairly fuzzy too, so I wasn't 100% sure what you actually changed aside from the explicitly-stated new songs. Like I said in the review blurb, it was never one of my favorites, even as a kid.

Two songs are cut from the film

Frollo's rivalry with the Archdeacon is expanded upon

Quasimodo is accused of being a thief before the crowd turns on him which is closer to the book

The gargoyles' roles are greatly decreased

The Louis XI character is an invention for my film

The scene where Phoebus and Esmeralda meet up at the aqueducts and Phoebus' gets stabbed by Frollo is lifted from the book

The ending is a mix between the Disney version and the book

Some other minor changes here and there

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xillix said:

Na, you good man! I love the review time of CAYOM to see people's opinions. 

• Like 1

XILLIX' TOP 25 JAMBOREE - GOOD TO BEST!

25. Hidden World

24. Timmy's Winter Vacation

23. Best Friends Forever

22. Second to Singapore

21. PЯom

20. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

19. An Apple a Night

18. Mara, Daughter of the Nile

17. Second Wind

16. Love at First Sight