That One Girl

Christopher Robin | August 3, 2018 | 70% on RT (and rising!)

The social media embargo lifting should provide a better picture of how this is going to turn out, though that Thursday embargo is a little strange. All that aside, Disney's embargoes have been fairly inconsistent. I mean, there's definitely a trend pointing towards "earlier = better", but it's a pretty weak trend all things considered:

2016:

The Finest Hours - 11 days prior to release (64% RT, 58 MC) *9 days prior to international release*

Zootopia - 21 days (98% RT, 78 MC) *0 days prior to international release*

The Jungle Book - 12 days (95% RT, 77 MC) *4 days prior to international release*

Captain America: Civil War - 23 days (91% RT, 75 MC) *14 days prior to international release*

Alice Through the Looking Glass - 17 days (29% RT, 34 MC) *15 days prior to international release*

Finding Dory - 7 days (94% RT, 77 MC)

The BFG - 47 days (75% RT, 66 MC) *screened at Cannes and Sydney film festivals*

Pete's Dragon - 16 days (88% RT, 71 MC) *14 days prior to international release*

The Light Between Oceans - 3 days (59% RT, 60 MC)

Queen of Katwe - 12 days (93% RT, 73 MC) *screened at TIFF*

Doctor Strange - 12 days (89% RT, 72 MC) *2 days prior to international release*

Moana - 16 days (96% RT, 81 MC)

Rogue One - 3 days (85% RT, 65 MC) *1 day prior to international release*

2017:

Beauty and the Beast - 14 days (71% RT, 65 MC) *13 days prior to international release*

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - 12 days (83% RT, 67 MC) *1 day prior to international release*

Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 4 days (30% RT, 39 MC) *1 day prior to international release*

Cars 3 - 4 days (68% RT, 59 MC) *3 days prior to international release*

Thor: Ragnarok - 15 days (92% RT, 74 MC) *5 days prior to international release*

Coco - 33 days (97% RT, 81 MC) *7 days prior to international release, screened at Morelia Film Festival*

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 3 days (90% RT, 85 MC) *1 day prior to international release*

2018:

Black Panther - 10 days (97% RT, 88 MC) *7 days prior to international release*

A Wrinkle in Time - 2 days (40% RT, 53 MC) *1 day prior to international release*

Avengers: Infinity War - 3 days (83% RT, 68 MC) *1 day prior to international release*

Solo - 10 days (71% RT, 62 MC) *8 days prior to international release, screened at Cannes Film Festival after embargo lifted*

Incredibles 2 - 4 days (93% RT, 80 MC) *2 days prior to international release*

Ant-Man and the Wasp - 9 days (87% RT, 70 MC) *7 days prior to international release*

Christopher Robin - 1 day (?)

So I'm not quite sure what to make of this anymore besides to hope that it will be good.

• Like 1

The Star Wars comparison doesn't even count. They hold back those reviews to increase the interest and Marvel movies are always well reviewed (even when the films in question don't deserve it like The Dark World and Iron Man 2). Just saying that I wouldn't even put those two franchises on the list. I've seen people be wrong about embargoes before so I'm inclined to believe that info is incorrect, that or flexible. 

The second trailer was great. The tone felt right. The dialogue seemed spot on.

One small complaint was that Pooh and the gang didn't look that cute or appealing.

And my excitement has gone down a bit since then. I still hope the movie is good but I am getting a little worried.

6 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Half of Jon Brion's score got thrown out, and Elfman's orchestrators were brought in last minute too.

This late in the game, the score is the only thing that can be changed. A bit of panic perhaps...

How do u know it was thrown out?

13 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Half of Jon Brion's score got thrown out, and Elfman's orchestrators were brought in last minute too.

This late in the game, the score is the only thing that can be changed. A bit of panic perhaps...

Well, Blaze Runner 2049’s score was partially thrown out yet the film, despite it being an unfortunate flop, was still a greatly-reviewed film.

1 hour ago, Movies4Life said:

Well, Blaze Runner 2049’s score was partially thrown out yet the film, despite it being an unfortunate flop, was still a greatly-reviewed film.

Zimmer and Wallfish were brought in quite a bit from release.

Geoff Zanelli and two other composers were brought in to this to replace half of Brion's score very recently.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Zimmer and Wallfish were brought in quite a bit from release.

Geoff Zanelli and two other composers were brought in to this to replace half of Brion's score very recently.

A month ago isn’t that recent. Again, how do u know he’s being partially-REPLACED? I can’t fnd it anywhere on the trades where it says that.

Edited by Movies4Life
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Movies4Life said:

A month ago isn’t that recent. Again, how do u know he’s being partially-REPLACED? I can’t fnd it anywhere on the trades where it says that.

Zanelli was replacing music a lot earlier than a month ago. He's even got a 'Music By' credit now - it's the same thing as what happened with Danny Elfman/Brian Tyler on Age of Ultron.

The music credits are all here:

http://hans-zimmer.com/index.php?rub=disco&id=1648

Six composers, ten orchestrators....a mess.

9 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Zanelli was replacing music a lot earlier than a month ago. He's even got a 'Music By' credit now - it's the same thing as what happened with Danny Elfman/Brian Tyler on Age of Ultron.

We’ll see.

10 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Until we find out if people like the movie or not tonight, I refuse to call it a mess.