That One Girl

Christopher Robin | August 3, 2018 | 70% on RT (and rising!)

I have faith in this to turn out very good, but I am worried about box office prospects. The animated 2011 Winnie the Pooh was absolutely delightful yet bombed spectacularly DOM, and now we're seeing the same thing happen with the even more delightful Paddington 2. Sadly DOM kids don't seem to respond to these kinds of whimsical films without a smidge of an "edge" anymore. 

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I have faith in this to turn out very good, but I am worried about box office prospects. The animated 2011 Winnie the Pooh was absolutely delightful yet bombed spectacularly DOM, and now we're seeing the same thing happen with the even more delightful Paddington 2. Sadly DOM kids don't seem to respond to these kinds of whimsical films without a smidge of an "edge" anymore. 

I think this will be fortunate enough to have more consistent Disney marketing around it. While great, the 2011 animated Winnie The Pooh film, sorta felt like one of those projects that Disney didn't think was super important, and scheduling it the same weekend as Dealthy Hallows did it no favors. 

I don't think it'll be a big hit (Winnie The Pooh animated films don't tend to do so well), but I could see it doing Pete's Dragon numbers at least. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I think this will be fortunate enough to have more consistent Disney marketing around it. While great, the 2011 animated Winnie The Pooh film, sorta felt like one of those projects that Disney didn't think was super important, and scheduling it the same weekend as Dealthy Hallows did it no favors. 

I don't think it'll be a big hit (Winnie The Pooh animated films don't tend to do so well), but I could see it doing Pete's Dragon numbers at least. 

I'm surprised Disney didn't put Winnie the Pooh in the title, Christopher Robin on its own won't be an audience puller. I think if it matches Paddington 1 numbers or slightly more, Disney will be happy. I can't imagine it's that expensive.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm surprised Disney didn't put Winnie the Pooh in the title, Christopher Robin on its own won't be an audience puller. I think if it matches Paddington 1 numbers or slightly more, Disney will be happy. I can't imagine it's that expensive.

I think it does around 80m, especially if it's great. Also it wouldn't surprise me at all if Pooh stuff is only like 30 minutes of the film, and it's more about Christopher Robin and his "self discovery" or something. 

26 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I think it does around 80m, especially if it's great. Also it wouldn't surprise me at all if Pooh stuff is only like 30 minutes of the film, and it's more about Christopher Robin and his "self discovery" or something. 

The synopsis makes me think it'll be like Hook with Pooh and co venturing out of the Hundred Acre Wood. They're a lot of comedy potential for Pooh and co to cause problems in the real world

I assume the first trailer is with A Wrinkle in Time or Peter Rabbit

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

The synopsis makes me think it'll be like Hook with Pooh and co venturing out of the Hundred Acre Wood. They're a lot of comedy potential for Pooh and co to cause problems in the real world

Yeah, lets just hope they don't go for the obvious "real world shenanigans", that tend to happen in those kinds of live-action films. I hope Disney and the filmmakers are smarter then that anyway. 

• Like 2