That One Girl

Christopher Robin | August 3, 2018 | 70% on RT (and rising!)

1 minute ago, MovieGuyKyle17 said:

I am extremely confused about why Disney is holding the reviews back so late on this. They didn't even do that for Wrinkle In Time and that movie was plain garbage 

I think they thought Wrinkle would get slightly better reviews than it got. I have no idea what's up with Pooh, I doubt it's reviews are super awful.

1 hour ago, Litio said:

I mean, movie of the same sub genre can differ themselves. As an example of a YA dystopia. A movie can focus on the politic contexts, another one on the importance of the family, another one can mix with some fantasy aspects. It’s not very different from the diversification of films with the same theme.

I get what you are saying about the potential of the YA genre. A good comparison would be zombie movies where under this sub genre we now have funny ones (Zombieland) Romcoms (Warm Bodies) family dramas (Cargo, Maggie) blockbuster action (World War Z) and much more

In theory, there is no reason the YA genre couldn't do the same. Harry Potter, Perks of being a wallflower, and Love Simon were great and got good reviews. Hunger Games got good reviews. I like the  Sisterhood of Traveling Pants

I thought the 5th Wave and The book thief were not that good I think they show the  potential of YA films to tell diverse stories

But most of them look either generic (Percy Jackson, Divergent, Maze Runner, the upcoming Mortal Engines) or pretty bad, Mortal Instruments, Beautiful Creatures, Twilight

So you can't blame people for seeing the sub genre the way they do.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

why didnt anyone tell me Marc Forster directed this

The Disney meeting when discussing this:

"who do we get for our happy, bright, heartwarming kids movie starring one of our most famous characters?"

"the guy who made Quantum of Solace"

Just now, That One Guy said:

The Disney meeting when discussing this:

"who do we get for our happy, bright, heartwarming kids movie starring one of our most famous characters?"

"the guy who made Quantum of Solace"

didn't see "from the visionary director of World War Z" in one tv spot. how am I supposed to know, Disney?

• Sad 1

Anyway, Ehrlich gave it a 3/5 on Letterboxd.

https://letterboxd.com/davidehrlich/film/christopher-robin/

A clever, hectic chimera that brings your favorite stuffed animals to life in the real world, “Christopher Robin” awkwardly marries the handcrafted feel of A.A. Milne’s stories with the magical-realism of the animated Disney movies they inspired. The results are sweet and dreary in equal measure, like tea and honey on a bleak London day. Director Marc Forster stitches together a lovingly overstuffed comedy that reflects the best and worst of its hero. Like Christopher Robin himself, the film runs deep with all manner of repressive joy. And like Christopher Robin itself, the film is far too busy to make the most of it.

This kind of reminds me of Greatest Showman's embargo, which was lifted this late too IIRC and the audience/a decent amount of critics ended up liking it and it became a crowdpleaser with strong legs.  maybe a similar thing could happen with this?

Edited by That One Guy

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Anyway, Ehrlich gave it a 3/5 on Letterboxd.

https://letterboxd.com/davidehrlich/film/christopher-robin/

This kind of reminds me of Greatest Showman's embargo, which was lifted this late too IIRC and the audience/a decent amount of critics ended up liking it and it became a crowdpleaser with strong legs.  maybe a similar thing could happen with this?

Trust it won't if it bire kids to death

Dude linking IGN reviews. Don't, it's not a credible source. Nobody takes IGN seriously.

They gave that abysmal Teen Titans Go! Movie a B. And Skyscraper a B+ which was an awful movie as well. 

Most reviews seem positive and saying it's a different movie then what Disney likes to put out. Grace Randolph said it's a very good movie and I usually share similar tastes as her so that makes me think I will definitely like it.

Just don't link IGN as a credible source, not even for video games do people take them seriously.

Edited by Cappoedameron

9 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Dude linking IGN reviews. Don't, it's not a credible source. Nobody takes IGN seriously.

They gave that abysmal Teen Titans Go! Movie a B. And Skyscraper a B+ which was an awful movie as well. 

Most reviews seem positive and saying it's a different movie then what Disney likes to put out. Grace Randolph said it's a very good movie and I usually share similar tastes as her so that makes me think I will definitely like it.

Just don't link IGN as a credible source, not even for video games do people take them seriously.

tenor.gif?itemid=7517603

• Like 1