That One Girl

Christopher Robin | August 3, 2018 | 70% on RT (and rising!)

On 2018-01-17 at 1:44 AM, Fancyarcher said:

I think this will be fortunate enough to have more consistent Disney marketing around it. While great, the 2011 animated Winnie The Pooh film, sorta felt like one of those projects that Disney didn't think was super important, and scheduling it the same weekend as Dealthy Hallows did it no favors. 

Disney dumpad it. Releasing it in less than 2,500 theaters several months after it was already out elsewhere. They probably figured they’d see the real money on home video.

Edited by cookie

I wouldn't say dump, but Disney never really expected this to be a huge blockbuster. it's a film made for a modest budget that The Mouse expects to make a good profit on, but does not expect massive numbers on. They will spend a reasonable amount marketing it, but not go full blast on it.

Same applies to the Nutcracker film in Early November. Minor release for them.

I know the idea of Disney making a film with modest expectations is bizarre for some people, but the Mouse has always done that.

Now Disney is going to nuclear on us in selling Mary Poppins Returns;that is probably their most ambitious project for 2018.

Edited by dudalb

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I wouldn't say dump, but Disney never really expected this to be a huge blockbuster. it's a film made for a modest budget that The Mouse expects to make a good profit on, but does not expect massive numbers on. They will spend a reasonable amount marketing it, but not go full blast on it.

Same applies to the Nutcracker film in Early November. Minor release for them.

I know the idea of Disney making a film with modest expectations is bizarre for some people, but the Mouse has always done that.

Now Disney is going to nuclear on us in selling Mary Poppins Returns;that is probably their most ambitious project for 2018.

Cookie was referring to the last animated Winnie the Pooh movie.

I can’t wait for the trailer for this!

Hmm. Does Rabbit have the more expressional design like in the wains of the easter bunnies from 2011’s Hop....or is it gonna be more like the recent Peter Rabbit?

Since in the animated version, he’s animated pleasantly & expressional. And Rabbit’s one of the few characters from the Pooh-media, who have cartoony eyes compared to Pooh, Tigger & Piglet’s small black-dotted eyes.

On 2/26/2018 at 5:55 AM, cookie said:

Disney dumpad it. Releasing it in less than 2,500 theaters several months after it was already out elsewhere. They probably figured they’d see the real money on home video.

That and it was mostly done as an addendum/refresher for it's very lucrative Pooh line

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnie_the_Pooh_(franchise)

According to a 2013 Variety article, Winnie the Pooh is the third best-selling franchise in the world, after Disney's own Disney Princess and Star Wars.[2] The New York Time said "The stakes are high for Disney. Global sales of Pooh merchandise — books, plush toys, T-shirts, potty chairs — have fallen 12% over the last five years, but still account for a staggering $5.5 billion", adding "Pooh...remains Disney’s second best-selling character after Mickey Mouse". 

• Like 1