That One Girl

Christopher Robin | August 3, 2018 | 70% on RT (and rising!)

18 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

With a  $9.465m Friday it should do around $27m o/w

Pete's Dragon's multi  was 3.543.  It had one week less of summer, lower initial audience scores and  Kubo out the next week.

With PD's multi that's $95.65m - so $100m looks more likely than not for CR

I think it has a good shot at 4x multi... apparently audiences are loving it and don't have any competition, the next "big movie" is The Nun next month

Forbes are saying CR costs $ 75M maximum, so Disney will probably be happy with $ 100 - 120M DOM and $ 200 - 220M WW

• Like 1

10 hours ago, YLF said:

why isnt it a critical darling like the paddington movies then?

Because the critics seem to like those better? But the audience scores on RT for Christopher Robin (a 92%) are higher than Paddington (80%) and Paddington 2 (88%)

I don't think the critical reception towards a movie matters to me in my enjoyment of a movie so much as it seems to be the opposite FOR EVERYONE ELSE. But hey, if someone wants to be told what movie to like, go right ahead.

• Thanks 1

Just got back from the matinee showing thank god I was in a row to myself from about 3 minutes in I was bawling like a school girl I don’t give a damn if this movie loses its ass at the BO it’s one of the finest pictures Disney has ever produced. So much feels 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2018 at 9:49 AM, Curtis1986 said:

so this is predicted to only make 24.9 billion this weekend. What happened to this being a must-see event of the year.  I guess Disney will half to settle with The BFG and Pete's Dragon Numbers.

All 3 are fine films especially considering the smaller budgets of Pete’s dragon and CR. As much as I enjoy the big budget blockbusters Disney has come out with recently I.e. lion king and beauty and the beast. These smaller art house takes on classics have been their best work Pete’s dragon and Christopher Robin were both thoughtful well made movies 

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:52 PM, eddyxx said:

Sorry but Disney ran out of money after funding the critics for BP and IW. Thats why Solo wasn't 90 percent. They couldn't afford to dish out the big bucks and they've completely ran out of cash flows after Incredibles 2 hence AMATW's subpar 88 percent score.:jeb!:

Trying to figure out if this guy is joking or if he really buys into this conspiracy theory bullshit.

Edited by dudalb

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:12 PM, divinity83 said:

This movie started out ROUGH for me. It really thrives when Pooh & friends are on the scene, but when they aren’t? Let’s just say I could hear M:I-F next door and had the visuals in my head matching up with the sounds.

But, you know what? I still preferred it to the Paddington films. Pooh is just more lovable to me and I never cared about Paddington as a kid. 

I would give it a 3/5. 

I pretty much agree; the film really drags when Pooh and Company are not on the screen. I have to agree with the critics that the wife and daughter are both pretty blandly written.

I would give it a B minus. It' certainly not bad, but it's not as well done as the 2 Paddinton movies.

23 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

In the Paddington vs Pooh critics war, it should be noted the 2011 animated Pooh was a critical darling. So it's not like critics hate this brand or something. 

The Paddington vs Pooh feud here is just proof that a lot of people just plain old WANT to pick a fight.

it's a case that the critics just felt that CR was not as well done as the Paddington films.

Still a little amused that people don't get that you can have two films with the same ingrediants, but one will be a hit and the other a flop depeding on how they are handled. Are people here really that shallow?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

With no budget posted is $25m seen as a good opening by Disney?

I feel since Pooh has been pushed aside in recent years that I'd call this a win. Getting those characters back out there. 

Talk are of around 75m budget, but in the context of a how many billions franchise, how it maintain the franchise alive among the public is really what matter here I would imagine.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Talk are of around 75m budget, but in the context of a how many billions franchise, how it maintain the franchise alive among the public is really what matter here I would imagine.

Any chance I can use that reasoning to justify a Tron 3?? 😉

15 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I'm sure the merch sales is what makes Disney attempt a new Pooh movie every so often. Has to make an absolute killing compared to how popular it is at the BO.

One thing is damn sure: China won't save this one......

matbe this will remind some of the China fanboys here why Authoratarian Dictatorships are a bad thing;they decide what movies you can see and what movies you can't see.

I've watched the CR movie on Saturday and it's a perfectly fine movie. Some amusing moments and a couple of moments where things become teary. So, the movie works well if Pooh is in your memory somewhere. Hence, I think that is the reason the audience score is really high. They feel connected to the movie a lot, different with the critics.

Paddington, in comparison, is a well-made movie. Not many people knew about Paddington before (I didn't). So, critics may love it, but it probably doesn't get to be personal for the audience.

In good news, this movie will likely have the highest 1st Tuesday bump of the summer (even higher than Teen Titans Go).  My discount day theater has already sold more tickets on that day than it did for any day opening weekend...I guess $5 (or less) is the right price for this movie...

Although the dichotomy between Monday and Tuesday sales is so amusing to see - 5pm showing today - 3 tickets sold / tomorrow - 150 tickets sold.  7:30 pm today - 4 tickets sold / tomorrow - 170 tickets sold...crazy...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

In good news, this movie will likely have the highest 1st Tuesday bump of the summer (even higher than Teen Titans Go).  My discount day theater has already sold more tickets on that day than it did for any day opening weekend...I guess $5 (or less) is the right price for this movie...

Although the dichotomy between Monday and Tuesday sales is so amusing to see - 5pm showing today - 3 tickets sold / tomorrow - 150 tickets sold.  7:30 pm today - 4 tickets sold / tomorrow - 170 tickets sold...crazy...

I wonder if the bump might be neutered slightly since it's a holiday in Canada today, which may boost numbers slightly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fastclock said:

I've watched the CR movie on Saturday and it's a perfectly fine movie. Some amusing moments and a couple of moments where things become teary. So, the movie works well if Pooh is in your memory somewhere. Hence, I think that is the reason the audience score is really high. They feel connected to the movie a lot, different with the critics.

Paddington, in comparison, is a well-made movie. Not many people knew about Paddington before (I didn't). So, critics may love it, but it probably doesn't get to be personal for the audience.

I think the Paddinton films were better paced,,whateas CR drags at times, particularly in the first half hour. And I repeat the writing for Evelyn and Madeleine could have been a lot better.

It's a good film, but not quite as good as it could have been.

On 8/5/2018 at 4:02 PM, Yandereprime101189 said:

Because the critics seem to like those better? But the audience scores on RT for Christopher Robin (a 92%) are higher than Paddington (80%) and Paddington 2 (88%)

I don't think the critical reception towards a movie matters to me in my enjoyment of a movie so much as it seems to be the opposite FOR EVERYONE ELSE. But hey, if someone wants to be told what movie to like, go right ahead.

audience scores being lower for paddington may come down to foreign viewers being too dumb to understand british humour

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1