That One Girl

Christopher Robin | August 3, 2018 | 70% on RT (and rising!)

One of my biggest issues with the previous Pooh movie was how short it was. In actuality, “Winnie the Pooh” (2011) had a running time of one hour, yet it was damn near perfect. The movie was well-paced and told a delightful tale, but it would have benefited from being longer. After watching this, I think it's safe to say I’m glad all the other Pooh movies clocked in barely past an hour long because a little bit of Pooh and his friends goes a looooong way. When the stuffed animals all get to the real world and infiltrate the city of London, the movie goes from being silly and wacky to loud and manic, WHICH IS NOT WINNIE THE POOH!

Right after the 15 minute mark, there is a drastic shift of tone from dark and mature to comical and goofy. There is a scene of war in the movie, and then you have Christopher Robin at work where his boss is bumbling as he knocks over briefcases and then his coworkers hide as they eavesdrop on their meeting.

Did an executive from the studio say, “We’re Disney. We can’t let this be smart and dignified. We’ll be as silly as ALL OF OUR CURRENT MOVIES ARE!” If this was released in 2013 or a decade ago, that tone would have been consistent. Ever since,“The Last Jedi” I’ve been seeing a trend of Disney movies only consisting of comedy. With the exception of “Infinity War”, ALL of Disney’s features have been either inconsistent in tone or just going straight up comical. I really like “Incredibles 2” but I only see it as more of a comedy than a Pixar movie with emotional depth and substance. The inconsistency is present there, and it’s present here and I’m really tired of it. Disney following the comical slapstick route goes against the true nature of these characters. As a matter of fact, they’re doing a disservice to these characters.

FULL REVIEW HERE: https://rendyreviews.com/movies//christopher-robin-review

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 10:32 AM, RealLyre said:

So how is this movie doing overall? 

I think the domestic opening is kinda underwhelming and the budget of this is $75M..

I hope it makes some profit because it deserves it :whosad:

It’s doing slightly better than Pete’s Dragon and for now outpacing Peter Rabbit, though I think it may end with $88-$90M domestic to make it’s budget back in America. Overseas, we’ll wait and see. I’d say it’ll do FAIRLY well.

$8.9M second weekend with a 31.6% drop. I’m gonna say it’s final domestic cume will be $90M depending on it’s performance next weekend and on Labor Day Weekend. Could try to do $100M if Disney keeps it in theaters until Christmas.

Edited by Movies4Life

7 hours ago, fastclock said:

So, where will this land?

90M DOM

70M OS?

Will Disney be okay with that considering the merchandising that goes with it?

The movie not only sells the merch associated with it but helps refresh the entire multi billion Pooh line, so they should be satisfied.

O/S is so staggered I have no idea where it will land.  Right now $100m domestic is looking far more likely. 

It's 3rd Tues is higher than Pete's Dragon's 2nd Tues and it's $24m ahead

CR: $1,593,541 (Aug 21) /  $69,456,717

PD:  $1,477,232 (Aug 23rd) /  $45,453,885 / $76,233,151

• Like 2

7 hours ago, fastclock said:

Will Disney be okay with that considering the merchandising that goes with it?

Disney did not make enough of the plushies, and they are going for BANK on eBay.  Like $100 a pop.  

• Like 2