Ethan Hunt

Ethan Hunt reviews- Y1

Killer Plane-  Bay's flair keeps this from being a total generic January action fest but it hardly feels like an inspired effort- C-

Ophidiophobia- a silly little film. which is clearly very aware of how silly it is. Not sure it amounts to much memorable as a whole but some of the gimmicks work- D+

Timmy's Winter Vacation- A delightful children's film without any cynicism. Not the world's most ambitious effort but leaves you with a smile on your face- B-

Lake of Psychopaths- Real hard to be sympathetic for the two character's we must take this ride with in any way. They make decisions that really leave one wondering a whole hell of a lot.- D-

Captain Planet- Tobey Kebble is a pretty fun villain. Pretty standard other than that- C

SOMA- This by far the most interesting film that we will be looking at this month. From the opening scene Goddard flexes his ability to create atmosphere within the film. Part of the problem is that that opening scene feels detached from the rest of the film that follows as it very quickly shifts into sci-fi. A real sense of mystery for a decent portion of the film but I'm not sure if the answers that we get feel satisfactory. Some of the emotional beats in the third act are fairly effective... Before the film goes absolutely bonkers with the ending. Goddard shows great talent in creating atmosphere and Gleeson brings his A-game in a film that can be meandering at point and an ending I'm not quite sure how I feel about. I'm intrigued by some of the ambition so I'm prone to give it a higher grade than I might have initially thought. - B

The Artificial Age- A sci-fi that sets up an interesting world, though sadly the story to go along with it isn't quite on the same level - C

Battle: Mars: pretty... *snores* generic- D- 

The Devil's Hitman- oh man Nic what are you doing a Boll flick. you can do better- D-

White Jerseys- Both of the leads give pretty likeable performance. The initial setup is interesting. Doesn't really pull it together in the end - C+

Mirror's Edge- Some exciting setpieces and Johansson is pretty good in the lead role. Quick pace does some good in giving the audience less time to think about the lackluster story it's based around. Felt like it might be leading to something more ambitious at the beginning so I'm a tiny bit disappointed but all in all it's not bad- C+

Poison and Wine- Well gonna put the obvious out there as everyone one else has stated: It's long. That said a lot of this really worked for me. The unconventional structure worked very well despite me finding myself skeptical at first. The film's central relationship works. There is a real moment of sincerity in the middle of the movie that really that in particular I found sweet. At times one would root for such sweetness and times when I wanted to scream at Tyler to get the hell away from Hunter. The conclusion is one that left me thinking over the whole dynamic for a while A-

The SCP Foundation- Some segments well certainly be more memorable than others (namely SCP-173 and Mother Knows Best) but Wan exercises his ability to create tension and fear here with no restraint- B+

Best Friends Forever- I feel like this films biggest problem is that it doesn't really give you anyone to root for. As a result it can be a tad hard to get invested- C-

TTFBAH- Wesley Snipes is the clear MVP here. wish the film had had more of him. The humor manages to work for the most part but never manages to be a true laugh riot. Not sure I buy into much of the heart of the story with our central crew at all. And the ending... I get the point... but still eh, certainly didn't feel like what the film was building to- C

BraveStarr- The film could benefit from some more inspired direction but it's a fairly fun and pleasant time all around- B-

Runaway: A Road Adventure- Well this is a strange one. Plays much more like a straight action movie than a comedy which doesn't quite seem to fit with Feig's strengths. Mendes (A strange choice for the lead) nor Daddario neither one really impress here in a film that really just leaves me questioning just how these people ended up involved with this film . It just doesn't seem like a good fit for most involved- D

• Like 3

Rendezvous with Rama- An ambitious attempt. visually stunning but never really reaches those ambitions otherwise- C

Séance- This one is real good. A horror film that takes a fascinating look into the moral dilemmas cause by grief. Creepy and atmospheric.- A-

Jim's Adversity- The all-star cast does what they can with what they are given. Craig in particular is very good. problem is the film lacks any kind of focus- C+

Jungles- I guess it's just kind of generally fine on principle- C

Second Wind- The cast works real well together here. Not the funniest film we'll find I'm sure but a good enough time at the theatre despite the ending feeling a tiny bit inconclusive- B-

The Adventures of Oscar Pill- It's has a fun little premise with a colorful world and likable characters. Pacing is all over the damn place though- C+

Dawn of Extinction- Pretty mind-numbing and lifeless- D-

Seeing Her- A god damn brilliant concept. Everyone involved brings their best to the table in a film that is both thought provoking and deeply emotionally effecting. - A+

Singed in Blood- Jordan gives a real good performance here and the rest of the film may not hold up but it's worth it for him.- B

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Salem's Lot- A slow horror movie with a nice atmosphere but doesn't really feel like it builds to much- C

Second to Singapore- The hijinks doesn't really pick up until they actually get to Singapore but from there the film becomes a pretty strong comedy with the court scene being the highlight of the movie- B

The Defiler- A pretty creepy little horror movie that goes off the rails a little bit in the third act. scary non the less- B-

He-Man- Pretty solid fantasy flick. The film's biggest flaws come in the pacing which takes a while to get off the ground. He-Man/Adam himself sadly doesn't prove to be as interesting a character himself as some of his counterparts. The two female characters I felt like were particularly strong: Woodley's Teela and especially (easily my favorite part of the movie. hope to see more of her in a sequel) Moss's Evelyn- B-

A Love to Die For- Lawrence and Cooper are magic together. chemistry out the wazoo. a pretty delightful and wild time at the theatre- B+

PЯom- thinly sketched characters go through comedy hijinx with little heart. good for a few laughs but certainly forgettable- C-

The Trail- Starts off pretty creepy with Wingard able to get pretty decent performances out of the unknowns able to portray the true terror that they are going through. And then it kinda goes along and nothing new is really added to the table except for some gory deaths.- C+

Scrooge McDuck- Well off the bat I'm going to admit having absolutely zero familiarity with the source material... And as such this didn't do a whole lot for me. I found the triplets to be annoying and not really have anything to add to the story. Them aside and you have the base for a pretty fun and solid adventure movie but I think at times it can be entirely too slow moving to truly work as such. This isn't bad. It clearly has it's fans. I'm not one of them.- C+

Among the Serpants- This had a really great premise and I'm a big fan of survival movies. Unfortunately the direction and the acting falls pretty flat for what I feel could've made a great movie. Instead being mostly passable and forgettable- C+

Chrono Trigger- This film could definitely use some room to breathe. It never properly builds the world it's set in leaving the rest of the film to be confusing shambled mess. Gosling's charisma is the film's saving grace despite the fact that is protagonist actually isn't given that much to work with- D

Operation Megasquad- This is a fun one! Stallone, Garfield and Styles all bring fun performances to the table and the action sequences are thoroughly exciting- B

Mara, Daughter of the Nile- Succeeds as both a thriller and a romance. Boutella and Massoud both deliver strong performances and the third act revolution is fully enthralling. Beautiful looking film as well- A-

Blood and Fur- A horror movie that always gives it's audience a wry smile and a few winks- B+

The Ultimate Prank- ummm... Yikes- D-

Brandybrooks- The plot with the elf dudes is fine. The plot with the lesbian neighbors is untolerable- D+

Voltron: Defenders of the Universe- A surprisingly strong blockbuster from Jon "mediocrity" Favreau. Some of the characters get a lot more time to shine than others and the second act isn't as strong as the act that proceeds or the one that follows and though it might not be as good as some comparable films such as Guardians of the Galaxy or Power Rangers it has a pretty decent emotional core.- B+

5 minutes ago, Xillix said:

I liked Power Rangers too but pretty sure it technically shouldn't exist as far as the game is concerned.

Perhaps not. Though as much as both Voltron and TTFBAH both remind me of it seems like quire the relevant film for Y1 of CAYOM

Airframe- A fun little straightforward investigation flick- B

Great White- A decent amount worse than Bay's earlier flick in the year (which wasn't very good to begin with) maybe the dude should take some time and come back with a worthy offering. The dude is better than a silly B-shark movie- D

Me and My Shadow- Absolutely spell binding from the opening scene. Once the "action" starts to go down in the second half the film loses a little bit of the drama that was really were working in favor of more obvious stakes. It's still entertaining non the less- A-

Go Go GoBots- A 80s cartoon adaption... starring Ben Affleck, Chris Pratt, Matt Damon, Henery Cavil, Joseph Gordon Levit, and Will fucking Smith... From the director of R.I.P.D? The whole idea that they all signed on for this is quite perplexing but one shall not complain. Despite how campy it can get it's hard not to enjoy when there is so much charisma on the screen- B

Minnie's Treasure Hunt- Summer setting doesn't feel quite as unique as TWV. Still just another harmless children's movie- C

Rollercoaster- An intense ride ;) Norton is the highlight here. Dude brings a manic energy to his role as an investigator who gets tied up a series of incidents. Redford also stands out strong here- B+

The Yellow Wallpaper- Aronofsky's direction is able to capture the feeling of entrancement with the titular wallpaper and at times it is haunting. Bryne gives quite possibly the best performance of her career. The film's misstep feels like it comes with the conclusion which doesn't make much of an impact. Thanks to the brief runtime the film manages to escape feeling like it's spinning it's wheels too much at any point and be an interesting and creepy little character study- B+

Agents- Stellar voice cast. Movie itself has some major misteps in the pacing department. Should be fine to entertain children probably not much beyond that- C

Sailing Champion- A pretty silly sports movie. I guess sailing is a more unique sport of choice so I'll give it a few points for that- C

• Thanks 1

The Curse of Monkey Island- A highlight for the summer in terms of action tentpoles. Fun all around- A-

The Beckensvile File- A well made but unoriginal found footage horror movie- C+

Mile High- Andy Samburg playing a ditzy plane pilot is pretty amusing. Other than that isn't really worth a whole lot and the climax is just kinda huh... okay- C

Spark: Rising- Aha. The blockbuster of the summer Is here. Near flawless in every way. Insane visuals. Directed with grace. An incredible sense of stakes. The thing that really pulls it to the next level though? The absolutely stunning performance from Sasha Lane. A blockbuster for the ages- A+

Dangerous Beauty- Another teen centered horror movie? nothing about it is particularly bad just nothing that makes it feel any different from the rest that have come out this year- C-

Hive Havoc- Some of the "dogfights" are done nicely visually though for the most part it plays simply as a kids movie made for kids- C+

The Screaming Planet- Honestly... The ending is so damn depressing that I was taken aback- D+

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1