Ethan Hunt

Ethan Hunt reviews- Y1

Phone- This reviewer is growing a little tired of horror movies. I don't know if this one is more cliché than some of the others or it's just because I've seen so many now this year but ehhhhhh- D+

Public Eye- Well made and well intended I'm sure. What I'm really not sure about is whether it gets across what it wants to get across. The character of James feels like a stock character put into the film so the audience has someone to point at and say "yeah fuck that guy." Pete's struggle while understandable never really becomes all that compelling.- C-

Flowers for Algernon- A delightful adaption. Burton is a perfect choice to be behind this project. All of the performances here are stellar. Particularly Fisher (certainly in the running for supporting actress.) Production design is lush and beautiful to go along with the touching little tale- A

An Apple A Night- Ummmm.. Still trying to figure out why he doesn't press charges. - C-

Dino-Riders- Pretty forgettable- C-

Ninja- Pretty dumb- D+

The Space Pirates- There is never enough Shia LaBeouf to go around. So I give this film points for having Shia. At the same time I take away points for not having enough Shia- B-

The Rider- A thrilling enough time in the theatre that will most likely be forgotten briefly after- B-

Don't Go Outside- well the characters are really really dumb. and it follows typical horror tropes to the tee. one giant meh- D

The Little Engine That Could- As much as I can see why one wouldn't like this I can't argue with something that is so damn idealistic- B+

No Surrender- Another standard sports movie. This time with even less likable characters to get behind- D+

Sea of Heroes- A pretty solid war thriller under the eye of Zemeckis. Never quite reaches the heights that one would hope for though- B

The Executioner- Standard Statham movie- C-

River of Death- Overlong and generally kind of lifeless thriller- D-

Seduction- Just kind of  a sleazy mess- D

SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron- Pretty enjoyable animation here. Feel like Diesel is the MVP here.- B

White Hurricane- Visually stunning. Cast is incredible. If I have to pick a weak link it's Hemsworth but that's less a diss on him and more  statement on how damn good everyone else is- A

Edited by Ethan Hunt
  • Like 1

The Provider- Kinda  underwhelmed by this one. Cool visuals and atmosphere but never really thought the story as a whole was all that engaging. Jake G is totally wasted here- C+

Stacie- another forgettable horror movie- C-

The Haunting in Wisconsin- Does a better job of setting up it's characters than most of the other horror movies this year. Rami brings some good camp and scares to the table- B

Secret Searchers- Relies heavily on the charisma of it's cast but certainly manages to entertain- B-

America!- slight points for Lawrence being a good choice for narration- C+

A Family of Families- complete and utter religious bullshit- D+

Life is Strange- So I went back and read the other more favorable reviews after having seen this... I don't understand. Mr. Jefferson's wild seemingly unexplained shift, Max's powers feeling totally unexplained. The plethora of side characters that I instantly forgot about until the film tries to force me to remember them later. Events that seem as if the film is built around being important turning out to be rather useless. And the ending is utter bullshit that makes no sense. That one event did not cause all of those things. This dumb. This is incredibly dumb- F

Bad Cop- The film's biggest problem is that Harmon isn't very convincing as the lead. It's brief and not all and all terrible though- C-

Trump's America- It's a Moore film- C

Kelsey Came Home- Just when you thought there couldn't be any more horror movies- C-

Edited by Ethan Hunt
  • Thanks 1

Flowers for Algernon is the probably the only surefire OC left that hasn't received a negative review yet.

Spoiler

It was my favorite film from the year it was released in CAYOM 2.0, and I doubt my growing hatred of Jared Leto will alter that substantially.

7 minutes ago, spaghetti! said:

Flowers for Algernon is the probably the only surefire OC left that hasn't received a negative review yet.

Reveal hidden contents

Works for me.

giphy.gif

The Damsel- I'm a sucker for completely cheesy romcoms- B+

Love at First Sight- This is good. Felt like it could've been more. I really never found any reason to like James so that was kind of a buzzkill. Still I found Lip and Emma likable characters- B

Trump's AMerica- It's  a Moore flick- C

Project Classified- A horror movie that is actually decently creepy. would you look at that- B

The Whale- An idea that sounds strange on paper actually really works here. An intense ride that must be seen in theatres- A

Hidden World- Can't help but feel like there is potential there for this to have been a much better film but Snyder's bombastic direction was not the right fit- C+

Pandemic- A horrifying premise. Sadly the film doesn't explore any of the personal notions of the experience instead focusing only large scale. also it doesn't have an ending- D-

Amulet- Could benefit from some better pacing ( it starts off pretty slow) but all in all it's a fun family adventure- B+

• Thanks 1

Cold as Void- I would like to personally stab the embodiment of supernatural horror at this point- D+

The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair- This is good as hell. Atmosphere days. Great Intrigue. Stellar performance from Gosling. Good shit- A

Extreme Dinosaurs- Of you read the title and though that's for me you'll probably like it. otherwise probably not- C

Faces & Voices- I've always been fascinated with the Milli Vanilli story so I enjoyed this one a lot. solid performances across the board.- A-

The Hunchback of Notre Dame- A technical marvel (count on those Production Design and cinematography Oscars) Really appreciated not holding back for the sake of getting a pg rating. Real good heart too- A-

Reboot- a pretty fun animation that will likely go in one ear and out the other- B-

Tubular- Another generic sports movie- C

When Winter Comes- How did Ethan Hawke end up in multiple of these things this year? poor dude- C-

Touching Spirit Bear- Pretty good tale of redemption. Ending feels a little tacked on but it's a nice film- A-

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1. Spark: Rising

2. The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair

3. Seeing Her

4. White Hurricane

5. Flowers for Algernon

6. Poison and Wine

7. The Whale

8. Me and My Shadow

9. Mara, Daughter of the Nile

10. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

11. Touching Spirit Bear

12. Faces & Voices

13. The Curse of Monkey Island

14. Séance

15. SOMA

16. Rollercoaster

17. Voltron: Defenders of the Universe

18. The SCP Foundation

19. Blood and Fur

20. The Yellow Wallpaper

21. A Love to Die For

22. The Little Engine That Could

23. Amulet

24. The Damsel

25. He-Man

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

1. Spark: Rising

2. The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair

3. Seeing Her

4. White Hurricane

5. Flowers for Algernon

6. Poison and Wine

7. The Whale

8. Me and My Shadow

9. Mara, Daughter of the Nile

10. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

11. Touching Spirit Bear

12. Faces & Voices

13. The Curse of Monkey Island

14. Séance

15. SOMA

16. Rollercoaster

17. Voltron: Defenders of the Universe

18. The SCP Foundation

19. Blood and Fur

20. The Yellow Wallpaper

21. A Love to Die For

22. The Little Engine That Could

23. Amulet

24. The Damsel

25. He-Man

Wow ! Thanks for the #2 !!! (and also the #13)