kayumanggi

Tuesday Numbers: IT 11.4 M

It's looking to be down a lot from yesterday at my theater. Practically every showing was 95% full yesterday, but today is looking rather modest:

11:00: 20/78

12:30: 1/78

2:15: 2/78

3:45: 0/78

5:30: 10/78

7:00: 4/78

8:30: 3/78

School is still out today and tomorrow, so I'll take a guess and say those daytime sellouts had working adults and parents available to go. I imagine tonight should be packed at least.

8 minutes ago, a2knet said:

how so? i will go very easy on WB with projections and even low-balling Disney:

WB

say IT does ~345 dom, so brings in ~200 more. (currently ~143.5 5-day)

A:C and WONDR and Dunkirk bring in 15 more combined

JL does say 410 (my real prediction is much less but using this number to show how easy Disney can win)

BR49 does 150 (my real prediction is much less but using this number to show how easy Disney can win)

GeoSt does 75 :)

Ninjago 125

That's 200+15+410+150+75+125 = 975M

DISNEY (again, low-balling on purpose. don't yell at me :lol:)

SW8 + THOR3 + COCO = 725 + 210 + 90 = 1.025B...50 more than 975 even after going positive with WB.

Even if there are some WB releases I have missed, these Disney numbers can go up higher.

You are right and that's giving 90m to COCO and 210m to Thor3? Isn't that awfully low??? (especially for CoCo)

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

You are right and that's giving 90m to COCO and 210m to Thor3? Isn't that awfully low??? (especially for CoCo)

at least for thor3 it is, just to prove my point about how big an edge disney has even with these numbers.

as to coco,

my hands are tied 

9 minutes ago, a2knet said:

WB

JL does say 410 (my real prediction is much less but using this number to show how easy Disney can win)

BR49 does 150 (my real prediction is much less but using this number to show how easy Disney can win)

GeoSt does 75 :)

Ninjago 125

That's 200+15+410+150+75+125 = 975M

SW8 + THOR3 + COCO = 725 + 210 + 90 = 1.25B...150 more than 825 even after going positive with WB.

Even if there are some WB releases I have missed, these Disney numbers can go up higher.

But the numbers for SW will stop counting by the time it reaches 12am by Jan. 2018. So if you predict SW will have 725m dom, it is possible only 500 will be counted and the other 225 will be for 2018. Just a thought. So it will be really close. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jayr said:

But the numbers for SW will stop counting by the time it reaches 12am by Jan. 2018. So if you predict SW will have 725m dom, it is possible only 500 will be counted and the other 225 will be for 2018. Just a thought. So it will be really close. 

Is it so? My bad! I thought it was about final grosses but that feels not right now that I am thinking about it.

If so, I think it may be an intresting race.

Of cource, I am rooting for WB.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, a2knet said:

WB

GeoSt does 50

Ninjago 125

That's 200+15+410+150+50+125 = 950M

SW8 + THOR3 + COCO = 735 + 225 + 90 = 1.05B...100 more than 950 even after going positive with WB.

SW VIII making 735 M until Dec 31? Hmm.

22 minutes ago, K1stpierre said:

Jesus, WB just be sitting back drench in dollar bills. I mean seriously, 35M budget........and they're getting 11M dollar days on a Tuesday lol. It doesn't matter it this make 300M or not, right now all of this is just pure icing.

The profits from IT will pay for any losses they made with King Arthur and Live by Night. 

• Like 1

I think we have reached the point where IT has moved past the wildly successful trailer as its source of business to WOM and cultural phenomenon status now driving ticket sales.

Studios should definitely learn this lesson from IT: a great trailer can lead to a huge opening weekend. Of course, the recent uptick in scary clown sightings/mythology in contemporary cultural helped as well.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I think we have reached the point where IT has moved past the wildly successful trailer as its source of business to WOM and cultural phenomenon status now driving ticket sales.

Studios should definitely learn this lesson from IT: a great trailer can lead to a huge opening weekend. Of course, the recent uptick in scary clown sightings/mythology in contemporary cultural helped as well.

I wouldn't underestimate the impact of there not being any movie worth of note for weeks on end. August was more or less devoid of any big start, with the last weeks before the start of It being especially empty. The last big start (and counting that as big is already pushing it) was Dunkirk in July, seven weeks before It came out. The last blockbuster start was Spiderman in early July. When there is so little going on, the first interesting new release will benefit a lot.

It would have broken out anyway, but this complete lack of anything worth of note in the weeks prior to it gave it a big boost as well.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

IT mini-series also gets a lot of credit imo. Important for nostalgia and cutting across age groups.

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Everyone's got their quirks, but may I ask where your distaste for WB came from? :lol: Like it seems such a random thing to root against...

He ran the donut shop at the WB lot in Burbank, until he got fired for eating the inventory.

From then on, he vowed to destroy Kevin and everything WB stands for.

...He's not succeeding, incase you can't tell.

• Haha 6

40 minutes ago, harry713 said:

Disney will probably come out the winner for 2017, but WB will likely have a higher profit margin.

Possibly. However, Disney is the runaway leader when you add in merchandising. For WB, the films are the end product, mostly. For Disney, the films are merely commercials for products and product branding which bring in billions of bucks. Cars 3 was not made because the previous film was a massive box office or critical success.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1